VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings ...

I naturally understand that Optical Discs (including CD, DVD, Blu-Ray) have different storage capacities depending on layer levels and if one or both sides of a disc are used.

As best as I know at present, a single-sided one-layer Blu-Ray disc holds up to 25 gigabytes of data, while a dual-layered single-sided Blu-Ray disc holds up to 50 gigs.

I have read where those limits are being challenged with newer technologies which may allow for multi-layered discs holding up to one terabyte (1,000 gigs) of data, if not more.

So, what's the latest projected storage capacity that you've heard of for optical disc formats either now available or those that may be introduced in the near future? Please give answers for single-layer, dual-layer and multi-layer discs, the last to include highest possible number of layers.

Thanx-A-Lot, Frank-0-Video
    Last edited by Frank-0-Video; 8th Jun 2011 at 10:46.
    THE Ultimate TV Tuner Device - Picks up every broadcast-cable-satellite transmission since 1928!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Frank-O-Video,

Experimentally, they have already proven >= 300GB using either multilayer (?20?) modified Blu-Ray, or via Holographic FMH discs. They're still testing the +> 1TB discs, IIRC.

But that really doesn't matter for current or near-future consumer/prosumer purposes. The DVD and Blu-ray spec is currently fixed at 2 layers, 2 sides max, and the CD is 1 layer, 1 side max. CD will never change from here on out. Probably neither will DVD.

If and When BD is expanded, you would have to have NEW equipment with which to handle increased densities or layers (both to read & write/burn). It might be possible for firmware updates to do this, but I wouldn't count on it. Obviously, there won't be an increase to the # sides of the disc.

Also, from a business standpoint, from this point onward, it becomes murky trying to "convince" consumers to take on ANOTHER upgrade to their hardware, just for the sake of increased capacity. Movies rarely go longer than 3 - 3 1/2 hours and that can be fully accounted for in HD on a single disc (maybe even if it were 3D). Since the Hollywood business model is NOT to put more than 1 Movie on a disc (not talking about TV series episodes here), they have no incentive to expand this until they need to push for NEW FEATURES.
    Now, this could come in the form of 4k visuals or maybe further 3D/Holographic features, but other types of capabilites really don't tax the capacity that much (Audio, Subs/Captions, Stills, Programming).
    I can see the Computer industry wanting higher levels for backup/archiving, but not the Consumer Entertainment Industry. That then relegates adoption to a much smaller market (and higher price point).

No, we're stuck with what we have for a while...

Scott
    Quote Quote