VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings ...

Has anyone here ever used DVD-R discs from Staples? I have been using them for some time and have had no problems with them.

Below is some physical information obtained via DVD Decrypter

Thanx-A-Lot, Frank-0-Video

Code:
    ATAPI iHAS424   B GL15 (ATA)

Current Profile: DVD-R

Disc Information:
    Erasable: No
    Free Sectors: 2,297,888
    Free Space: 4,706,074,624 bytes
    Free Time: 510:40:38 (MM:SS:FF)
    Supported Write Speeds: 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x

Pre-recorded Information:
    Manufacturer ID: CMC MAG. AM3

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
    Book Type: DVD-R
    Part Version: 5
    Disc Size: 120mm
    Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
    Number of Layers: 1
    Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
    Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
    Track Density: 0.74 um/track
    First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
    Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 0
    Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0
    THE Ultimate TV Tuner Device - Picks up every broadcast-cable-satellite transmission since 1928!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    CMC MAG....I'll pass.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Frank-0-Video View Post
    Greetings ...
    Has anyone here ever used DVD-R discs from Staples? I have been using them for some time and have had no problems with them.
    I really wish I could get paid every time some guy posts here and says "I've been using garbage discs for years now and never had a problem with them!"

What's the point of your posting? Are you looking for validation that you are some kind of media picking genius? Because you're not going to get that here. Let us know in 2-3 more years if your cheap discs still work OK or not.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings ...

If you please, I'm unfamilar with what "CMC MAG" is. Please provide a brief description as well as the issues surrounding it.

Also, please recommend the best known DVD disc brands and where to buy them. If I have to, I can copy my current collection to a better brand.

Appreciate your time, Frank-0-Video
    THE Ultimate TV Tuner Device - Picks up every broadcast-cable-satellite transmission since 1928!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    CMC Magnetics

http://www.cmcdisc.com/index.htm

Not really top quality media. Most here use Verbatim (not the value line either).

Lord Smurf has a good site relating to media.

www.nomorecoasters.com

Probably one of the best resources around relating to blank cd/dvd media.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Frank-0-Video View Post
    If you please, I'm unfamilar with what "CMC MAG" is.
    Short for CMC Magnetics, an optical disc manufacturer. http://www.cmcdisc.com/

Originally Posted by Frank-0-Video
    Please recommend the best known DVD disc brands
    Perhaps you have seen the brand names Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim being mentioned here and on other video forums more than a few times.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings ...

Yes, I've seen a number of references of Verbatim, but Taiyo Yuden is a name I've not heard of before.

Please recommend the best (ie, most trusted) online outlets from which to buy either of these brands.

RE My Staples DVD Discs - I've being recording on them for only the past three years. If what some of you are hinting at (RE possible disc failure within 3-5 years) is true, then it's probably wise to go ahead and dupe them to better discs. I have computer software and hardware that will do this.

Thanx-A-Lot, Frank-0-Video
    Quote Quote  
  8. You could patronize Supermediastore, a site sponsor. A couple more that come to mind are Rima and Meritline. Amazon has a good selection and good prices.

CMC is second-class media according to Lord Smurf. Seems about right to me, it's not bottom of the barrel but it's not the best. I confess I use them for "tossers" or unimportant uses and they're okay for that. As to whether you can trust them to be readable in "X" years, who knows?

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Get the regular Verbatim AZO or Verbatim Data Life Plus (Verbatim's Data Life Plus line is not the same thing as Verbatim's "Life" line of products. The "Life"line is lesser quality. I haven't tried Taiyo Yuden/JVC so I don't know if they make any products that are not first-rate.

SuperMediaStore.com or Rima.com are supposed to be good places to shop for Taiyo Yuden/JVC and Vebatim, but I haven't purchased media from them. Newegg carries some products from the better Vebatim lines too, and I have shopped there. Watch for sales.
    Quote Quote