VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a stock phillips dvp5992/37 that I use to play downloaded avi movies using the usb port from a memory stick. It seems that I can only playback movies that are smaller than 1gb or so in size. The larger movie files will play completely through on my laptop from the same memory stick, but will stop playing like 75% of the way through using the dvd player. Just flat out stops. Is this normal? Or am I missing something here?

(I just learned tonight that I can flash this player and I am just now looking into that.)

Thanks for any help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by tracnet View Post
    I have a stock phillips dvp5992/37 that I use to play downloaded avi movies using the usb port from a memory stick. It seems that I can only playback movies that are smaller than 1gb or so in size. The larger movie files will play completely through on my laptop from the same memory stick, but will stop playing like 75% of the way through using the dvd player. Just flat out stops. Is this normal? Or am I missing something here?
    I'm pretty sure the 5992 can play up to 2 GB, at least.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I'm pretty sure the 5992 can play up to 2 GB, at least.
    Thanks for the reply jagabo.
    I'm not sure what's up with mine then. I have tried several times to play files that are around 1.4gig and they never will play all the way through. So I have been left to downloading movie files that are normally around 700mb. I have tried at least 3 different memory sticks. Maybe I will pick up an external hard drive and try them from there.

I am open to any other suggestions.......thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  4. I just verified my DVP-5990 can play files over 2 GB. I opened a 2.3 GB file from a USB thumb drive and fast fowarded all the way to the end. I suspect your 1.4 GB AVI files were once two 700 MB files that were incorrectly joined. Try opening them in VirtualDub and see if remuxing them helps:

1) File -> Open Video File
    2) Video -> Direct Stream Copy
    3) File -> Save as AVI.
    Quote Quote  
  5. k.....I'll dig into this a little more, later this week, when I have some free time. I'll try what you suggested. Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  6. You can also try using AviDemux.
    Quote Quote