VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HI folks. I'm trying to find a way to get my blus to WMV HD files with 5.1 with perfect quality like ripping to MKV does. Unfortunately I can't find a good way to stream MKVs to my Xbox. Help appreciated! Thanks.

EDIT: Basically i want to make the best quality file from my Blus that will play on Xbox 360 with 5.1 via either streaming or attached USB drive.
    Last edited by FuzzyReets; 5th Jun 2011 at 07:34.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fuzzyreets
    Unfortunately I can't find a good way to stream MKVs to my Xbox.
    Are you wired or wireless? You will most likely get better performance if you are wired. Unless you have both a wireless n receiver for the xbox and a wireless n router. I'm not saying g can't work but you probably would get better throughput with n.

Also if you are in the same room with the router it would be better to keep interference down or use a repeater.

As far as streaming software have you tried any of the following:

ps3mediaserver (yes will work with xbox)
    tversity
    playon

Those should be the first streaming you should try. I have gotten playon to work with both my ps3 and xbox 360 just fine. The free version of playon will do file streaming - you have to pay to get the website streaming from amazon and netflix etc. to work.

As for converting I believe windows media encoder SHOULD do it but I don't know if it will accept bluray rip files. You could try format factory and check the output settings.

FYI wmv hd will likely take longer to encode than other formats.

You can also look into high def divx or xvid as the xbox 360 handles those.

By the way:

with perfect quality
    Encoding to another codec will not yield "PERFECT" results. It is being transferred into something else. It can look very good but it won't be the same as the original.

Also mkv is just a container. You did not mention what you encoded the bluray into in the mkv. Perhaps they were just remuxed and not actually converted?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All wired. To me wireless is a convenience and I would never expect the kind of results I want for this sort of thing over wireless. No worries there.

I have tried all three of those programs actually. None of them yield the quality I used to get when I had MKVs attached to my Seagate Free Agent Theater which I unfortunately got rid of so I'm trying to have my xbox fill the void.

Not really worried about conversion times so if it takes longer it takes longer.

File size is not a concern.

Still confused about the whole container vs. codec (i think?) thing. Not sure how that works or how I can manipulate that.

Used DVDFab for blu to mkv remux. I don't even know what remux means

Does that help? THanks for your quick and detailed response. Much appreciated!

EDIT: Basically i want to make the best quality file from my Blus that will play on Xbox 360 with 5.1 via either streaming or attached USB drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Personally I would get another media player like the seagate free agent. The wdtv media player series is a great one to look into. You should be able to get ones under 100.00 depending on the model and if you buy used. It would save a lot of time and hassle.

I don't even know what remux means
    Nothing is being changed. The video and audio are just being put into a new container file so it can be recognized by another program.

till confused about the whole container vs. codec
    The codec is what actually makes the video and audio work. Divx and xvids are CODECS. The actual compressor/decompressor instructions that tell programs how to play the video and audio. .avi, .mkv, .mp4 are just containers that hold the video and audio. Each one has different benefits and restrictions. And obviously each one has different support.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote