VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I Know this has probably been asked somewhere before, but I can't find anything on the subject. Here's my question:
    I'm looking for a frontend gui that can take full advantage of either FFMpeg or Mencoder, without using AVISynth. I have tried XMedia Recode before (and it's usually awesome, give or take a few occaisional bugs), but I would like to have more options than that. Pretty much every thing else I've come across either lacks the many options that my soul craves (especially the options provided by individual codecs, like XviD's VHQ technology) or uses AVISynth, which almost never seems to work (at least not for me). I ask this because I am horrible when it comes to using simple command lines, letalone complex ones.

Any Ideas where to look? I'm not looking for simplicity. Rather, I am looking for customization. Or should I spend forever trying to figure out Mencoder/FFMpeg command lines?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try Avanti.
    It's a GUI for ffmpeg, but you can access the command line it creates and then use it in your own batch files if you like.
    (It has an option to use Avisynth, but you don't have to.)

Much easier than trying to work out ffmpeg options from scratch, it has so many options, often inconsistent between versions, that it can drive you nuts.

Otherwise see https://www.videohelp.com/tools?toolsearch=ffmpeg for other software using ffmpeg, there may be other useful ones there.
    Last edited by AlanHK; 5th Jun 2011 at 03:07.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A list with some guis under more information: https://www.videohelp.com/tools/ffmpeg#download
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the list with some guis from https://www.videohelp.com/tools/ffmpeg#download is:

Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    ffmpeg GUIs/Frontends:
    Download WinFF
    Download Super
    Download AutoFF
    Download Avanti
    Download AutoFF
    Download XpegT GuiForFFmpeg
    Download GVC ffmpeg gui
    Download SmartFFmpeg
    Download Convendro
    Download dtNET FFMPEG GUI
    Download Multiconvert
    Download Hyper Video Converter [HVC],Frontend for FFMPEG, Mencoder, and FFMPEG2Theora.
    Download zConvert, a converter for many different audio and video types, includes presets for a range of devices too.
    Download FFE, a simple but very good ffmpeg fronted.
    Download Ultimate Video Converter, another easy to use ffmpeg frontend
    Please note I copy|paste`ed the shortcut links inside in same forum thread and it had lost the context website informations.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm, if I copy and paste all links works fine:

Download WinFF
    Download Super
    Download AutoFF
    Download Avanti
    Download AutoFF
    Download XpegT GuiForFFmpeg
    Download GVC ffmpeg gui
    Download SmartFFmpeg
    Download Convendro
    Download dtNET FFMPEG GUI
    Download Multiconvert
    Download Hyper Video Converter [HVC],Frontend for FFMPEG, Mencoder, and FFMPEG2Theora.
    Download zConvert, a converter for many different audio and video types, includes presets for a range of devices too.
    Download FFE, a simple but very good ffmpeg fronted.
    Download Ultimate Video Converter, another easy to use ffmpeg fronted.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It seems that these programs were all created "for dummies". ideally, I would like something for nerds only, except I don't want to learn command-lines if I can avoid it. Please note that when it comes to all things video, I am a total micro-manager. If something can be done with command-lines, I would like to be able to do it with a gui. I want to enable/disable trellis if I can. I want to choose my own motion-searching settings. I want to use what ever post-processing features the backend offers, ect. And I suck at command lines (even simple ones take me eight or nine trys to figure out).

Sorry if I seem picky, but that's the way I am with video. If it makes anyone feel better, I'm not really picky with anything else. But I want something above and beyond what seems to be all over the web. The norm just isn't good enough for me.
    Quote Quote  
  7. @Intel Core i7
    Thanks for the list

@Baldrick
    Thanks for providing click-able links
    Quote Quote  
  8. Okay, I'm guessing I'm not going to find what I want, so I'm trying to learn the commandlines. I've choosen Mencoder, since it supposedly has more codec/options than ffmpeg... But

Why won't Mencoder work? I read their documentation forward and back. I literally have spent the entire day trying to figure this out. Does Mencoder not support any of the advanced XviD options? I swear I am about to go on a rampage and destroy everything in sight!

Mencoder "name of file to be coded" vcodec=Xvid:pass1 -xvidopts -chroma_opt:vhq=4:bvhq=1:quant_type=mpeg -keyframe_boost=100 -kfthreshold=1 -kfreduction=20 -max_bframes=4 -vhq=4 -bvhq=1 -vf hqdn3d=4:3:6:6 -scale=720:352 -ofps=2400/1001 -aspect 2.3970 -o "output file"

I'm using an M-T Pentium 4 sherpya build, if that makes any difference.
    Last edited by TSJNachos; 7th Jun 2011 at 20:17.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Okay, after playing around with FFmpeg, I realize that an FFmpeg gui is not what I need. FFMpeg does not have many advanced options to be used alongside any of its built-in filters, except Lavc (and MPEG-4, which is part of Lavc), and libx264 (I think). So, a "full" Mencoder gui is probably what I want.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Okay, I have just found some plugins for VirtualDub that allow various input containers to be used. I've only a matroska plugin, which seems to work perfectly with Mpeg-2 streams, but fails when it comes to Theora. Pretty much anything can be remuxed into matroska, all you need it the right muxing software. I've also discovered an ffmpeg plugin, which claims to make VirtualDub be able to decompress any video file that is supported by ffmpeg, although I only tested it on one file (the one with Theora Video). Therefore, I guess I don't need a Mencoder/FFMpeg gui, after all.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    Try Avant .
    It's a GUI for you can access the command line it creates and then use it in your own batch files if you like.
    i know this tread is very old ,
    but i would like to know how to .
    thanks !
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by horizonrays View Post
    Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    Try Avant .
    It's a GUI for you can access the command line it creates and then use it in your own batch files if you like.
    i know this tread is very old ,
    but i would like to know how to .
    thanks !
    Read the help.

How to compose your own command line.

When you right-click on the User VIDEO options > command line, a menu will show up with command line related support options;

1. You can clear the audio or video command line (depending on which one is selected).
    2. You can call up the full command line of the last process (same as <Ctrl><F9> ).
    3. You can save the full continuous command line as a "ready-to-run" Windows *.bat file.
    4. You can load/append FFmpeg presets on the command line (see note).

e.g. I set up an MKV -> AVI conversion, then I get:

FFmpeg command line of current or last encode process ...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"D:/JDown2/tools/Windows/ffmpeg/i386/ffmpeg.exe" -hide_banner -i "G:/VID/LoveChild/TVrip/Love_Child-101.mkv" -threads:v 2 -sws_flags bicubic -vf "scale=0:0,setdar=16/9" -codec:v mpeg4 -b:v 780k -das -y "@destin1" -af "aresample=44100" -codec:a libmp3lame -b:a 128k -ac 2 -y "G:/VID/LoveChild/TVrip/Love_Child-101.avi"
    Quote Quote  
  13. my avanti version is 0.7.7
    but i cannot locate the command line .
    how to locate it .

and i see nothing under the tab ffmpeg script editor .

if it's not too much hassle for you can you post the screen shot ?
    or
    may be screen capture ?

and thanks for the reply .

or if it's in some folder , tell me the folder name or location .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    here it goes:

https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/jWCyf7W.jpg

after starting the conversion right click on the white rectangle box
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by ricardouk View Post
    here it goes:

after starting the conversion right click on the white rectangle box
    a million thanks to you .. :: thanks for your invaluable help.
    Quote Quote