VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have 15+ year old SLP VHS recordings of an old cartoon called "G-Force" which I would like to transfer to DVD. Seeing as the recordings are still in decent quality, I'm not too concerned with repairing video/audio quality. What I've been doing so far is viewing and capturing footage with DScaler (AVI, HuffYUV at best settings, uncompressed audio). The footage has interlacing, which I'd like to remove for PC viewing, but if they're needed for DVD/TV viewing then I'll leave them. This still requires me to do work to make these files playable on a DVD player......any tips/suggestions?

Also, I have mkv-encoded episodes of the Japanese anime "G-Force" was based on ("Gatchaman"), which contain both English (different from "G-Force") and Japanese audio tracks, as well as two subtitle tracks. According to VLC, the video stream was encoded in MPEG4-XVID, and the two audio tracks were encoded in Vorbis Audio. I'm planning to use clips off of these episodes, as well as the episodes off of my VHS tapes, in a video project, but both VirtualDub and Sony Vegas Pro won't accept these mkv. files, so I'd like to convert it to a more compatible format, like AVI or MP2/4. How can I do so without further reducing the audiovisual quality, AND retain the subtitles as well? I've tried converting them to mp4 w/XVID4PSP, and have been able to direct copy just the video stream, as the direct copied audio streams were unplayable on VLC until I encoded them in AAC. The subtitle streams don't appear to have made the transition.

Any help for this newb would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Anyone?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For the DVD, use AVStoDVD or DVD Flick to create the DVD from your source. The programs should recognize the interlace and maintain it.

To create your watchable PC version, use AVIdemux. Open the source, and on the left, set your desired format.
    For video, set your desired codec (for example xvid). In filters, set interlacing/yadif/bob.
    Save to a new file. (eg myfile.avi < you must add the suffix, AVIdemux doesn't do it for you)

For the subs, experiment with mkvtoolnix/mkvextract GUI. You can spin off the subs - you should then be able
    to add them separately during the encode.
    Quote Quote