VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have both. Which is best? In all honesty, Roxio's cheap little USB adapter gives a much better result than the ADVC-55

I'm using Videoglide to capture.

The ADVC-55 has 'no signal' during most of my old home VHS videos, and when it does capture, the image flickers.

The Roxio USB doesn't have this problem so far.

Does anyone know why this might be? It's quite odd that a £40 device works better than a £200 device.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So you are using this usb device to capture DV ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use WinDV to capture from the ADVC-55. If on a Mac, capture DV with iMovie.

Videoglide makes no claims of being compatible with DV format devices.
    Last edited by edDV; 17th May 2012 at 03:25.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm on a Mac, yes I've already tried iMovie with the ADVC-55. It gave the same result. Whilst the ADVC-55 is compatible with any software, it gives a very poor result.

Videoglide is compatible with both the ADVC-55 and the Roxio USB stick.

So far, the Roxio USB stick gives a much better result through videoglide than the ADVC-55 gives in any software.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I hardly expect the sofware to capture correctly with the ADVC at anything but 25 fps. And as for the gizmo I do not expect it to capture in DV at all.

So try both and report back.
    Already tried.

The ADVC doesn't capture unless the VHS video is relatively new. These are old VHS home recorded tapes from 1980s and 1990s, and although they play back fine on the TV, the ADVC-55 can't capture them. It either shows 'no signal', or flickers, or skips frames.

The Roxio DOES record to DV in videoglide. It's wrapped in a .mov wrapper, but I have definitely selected 'PAL DV' in the drop down list and it seems to capture fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps you should now explain your workflow when using the ADVC. People buy these because they think they are capture devices. They are not. They are Analogue to Digital Video Converters - see the capital letters.

To use one, you need one of two things.Either a capture card or a connection from the ADVC to a firewire port. With the firewire port, depending on the sofware, you may be able to capture in formats other than DV but to do that the software transcodes the DV stream - I can do that using Ulead - but Ulead does not work on a Mac - nd I then end up with Mpeg2 video.

As EdDV points out, it is more usual to use WinDv but again that is a Windows program. I can not see why iMovie should give you poor results so there must be something wrong with either your setup or the ADVC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The ADVC relies upon a clean signal. A worn tape may well not provide such a signal. Hence the drop outs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you connected ADVC to Mac with firewire? It should be available to iMovie.

Videoglide only talks about USB stick devices. Says nothing about support of an ADVC.
    http://www.echofx.com/videoglide.html

Videoglide can transcode in software to DV format as an output.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps you should now explain your workflow when using the ADVC. People buy these because they think they are capture devices. They are not. They are Analogue to Digital Video Converters - see the capital letters.

To use one, you need one of two things.Either a capture card or a connection from the ADVC to a firewire port. With the firewire port, depending on the sofware, you may be able to capture in formats other than DV but to do that the software transcodes the DV stream - I can do that using Ulead - but Ulead does not work on a Mac - nd I then end up with Mpeg2 video.

As EdDV points out, it is more usual to use WinDv but again that is a Windows program. I can not see why iMovie should give you poor results so there must be something wrong with either your setup or the ADVC.
    Right. Here goes:

My workflow is VHS -> composite -> ADVC-55 -> firewire -> Macbook Pro -> iMovie or VideoGlide or any other software

I've tried a number of leads and iterations, different VHS tapes etc. In EVERY case, if the video is old or degraded even slightly, even if it plays back on the TV, the ADVC-55 seems to be VERY sensitive to errors on the VHS tape. It just gives 'no signal', or the image flickers.

I contacted Canopus support and asked them to view the video and tell me what's wrong. Their reply:
    "There was no video attached. If you're getting problems, then it's because you're trying to capture a copy protected VHS such as with macrovision protection. This is illegal."

I replied, explaining that these are old home movies and are not copy protected, and that they need to click the rapidshare link to view the video. So far, no reply from them.

The ADVC-55 works perfectly well when capturing new VHS tapes.

The VHS home videos are old, from 1980s and 1990s, and they likely have degraded time-code as would any tape from that era. Although they play back fine on TV, it's possible the degraded time code is being mis-interpretted as copy protection by the ADVC-55. I'm not convinced of this either though.

Unless anyone has any better ideas to get this working, I believe the ADVC-55 is just sensitive to old or slightly degraded VHS video tapes.

So for now, I'm still using the Roxio USB stick to get results.

I wonder if I upload the same capture file from both devices would it help?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The ADVC relies upon a clean signal. A worn tape may well not provide such a signal. Hence the drop outs.
    THANK YOU!

This is what appears to be the case.

So, even if TV playback is fine, the ADVC-55 is not good for capturing 1980s old VHS home movies, which are in almost all cases worn.

The Roxio USB stick also seems to work fine.

Why would the ADVC-55 be so different?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Videoglide can transcode in software to DV format as an output.
    Oh dear. Doesn't sound good. I need to capture in best possible way for archive so I can edit at a later date.

So, if possible should I be finding a way to get the ADVC-55 to bl**dy work instead of using the Roxio USB stick?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is the ADVC new ? You could have bought someone else's problems.

But as I said eartlier, a weak signal beit the tape or even the connection on the VCR itself will give you this result. The only way to improve it is to purchase a signal amplifier.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by matt9b View Post
    THANK YOU!

This is what appears to be the case.

So, even if TV playback is fine, the ADVC-55 is not good for capturing 1980s old VHS home movies, which are in almost all cases worn.

The Roxio USB stick also seems to work fine.

Why would the ADVC-55 be so different?
    I'm not seeing similar drops with my ADVC-100. Maybe the 55 circuitry is different. But if the USB stick works, use that.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is the ADVC new ? You could have bought someone else's problems.
    Brand new from shop, unopened.

But as I said eartlier, a weak signal beit the tape or even the connection on the VCR itself will give you this result. The only way to improve it is to purchase a signal amplifier.
    .. or just use a USB stick capture device instead of ADVC-55.

I think you're right about the weak signal on the tapes. I won't recommend the ADVC-55 for people wanting to capture old home movies in future
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have 80's and 90's tapes and a ADVC (300) and rarely have these issues. I suspect that the VCR you use now is not the one you used to record these tapes. Another factor to consider. It is fine to the tv because the signal remains in the analogue realm. You may see drop-outs on the tv but it is more foregiving.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it is 'brand new' then you do have consumer rights. Could be faulty but if you sucessfully used it on newer tapes - possibly recorded on better equipment than 80's vintage - then there is nothing wrong with it.

But you can not blame the ADVC for this. You will read mixed opinions about these units in this forum. Personally, I am more happy with them.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "if you sucessfully used it on newer tapes - possibly recorded on better equipment than 80's vintage - then there is nothing wrong with it. But you can not blame the ADVC for this."

Of course I can. The Roxio USB stick captures the tapes just fine. The ADVC does not.

The ADVC states on the box "Convert VHS to DV in one simple step". I bought the ADVC for capturing old home movies, and was told it would do this. There was no mention on the box that it can't capture weak signals which are inherent on old VHS tapes. I'm not going to be stuck with a £200 unit that doesn't do the job I bought it for. It's going straight back.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you sucessfully used it on newer tapes - possibly recorded on better equipment than 80's vintage - then there is nothing wrong with it.
    There is no manufacturing defect if that's what you mean. Just a design limitation.

But you can not blame the ADVC for this.
    Of course I can. The Roxio USB stick captures the tapes just fine. The ADVC does not.

The ADVC states on the box "Convert VHS to DV in one simple step". I bought the ADVC for capturing old home movies, and was told it would do this. There was no mention on the box that it can't capture weak signals which are inherent on old VHS tapes. I'm not going to be stuck with a £200 unit that doesn't do the job I bought it for. It's going straight back.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One thing you should consider before you take this back.

You are seeing a message 'No signal' when you attempt to capture certain tapes. It is NOT the ADVC that is generating this message. It is your VCR.

Food for thought ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Canopus devices will fall over when copying damage tapes, and drop out of capturing when there's no signal recorded to tape (or a huge drop out) - but I've never seen a tape that displays perfectly fine on a TV make a Canopus device choke.

It's normal for a small problem on the TV to look like a large problem on the Canopus - there's no TBC to help it to cope - but zero problem giving a complete disaster seems quite strange.

Are the tapes PAL, NTSC, ? Have you set the little switches on the base of the Canopus correctly?

Advice:
    1) use the device that works, or
    2) get a better VCR with a built-in TBC, or
    3) put a Panasonic ES10 between your VCR and Canopus device.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One thing you should consider before you take this back.

You are seeing a message 'No signal' when you attempt to capture certain tapes. It is NOT the ADVC that is generating this message. It is your VCR.

Food for thought ?
    LOL

At the risk of repeating myself, it is not a message from the VCR since they play back fine on the TV.

Please read my posts above
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes all settings on canopus have been tested. Yes I've tried it with some old tapes that are definitely 100% PAL. I know there will be ADVC fans insisting the tapes must be NTSC or PAL60 because they've jumped to conclusion from another thread of mine, but this simply isn't the case. This thread is regarding the use of 100% PAL50 (25fps) tapes. There is an issue with the design limitation of the ADVC-55 where it doesn't like some old worn tapes.

The ADVC works fine with a newer VHS tapes recorded with the SAME camera, but it doesn't work with an older VHS tape recorded on the same camera. The Roxio USB capture device works fine in all cases, as does playback on TV. The ADVC appears to have an over-sensitivity problem with older or worn VHS tapes.

Originally Posted by 2Bdecided View Post
    Advice:
    1) use the device that works, or
    2) get a better VCR with a built-in TBC, or
    3) put a Panasonic ES10 between your VCR and Canopus device.
    I'll take option one, use the roxio USB device that works. This is going straight back.

I could go on forever throwing cash at this but really they should put on the box "please be aware this may not be suitable for old or worn tapes". Then they wouldn't have to give out unexpected refunds

I hope no one takes offense, I know there are avid ADVC fans out there, I'm sure its great, I've just come across an instance where it falls apart. It works great with newer tapes, just not so good for some old or worn home movies. For worn VHS tapes I recommend getting a Roxio USB with VideoGlide instead or making sure you can return the ADVC.

I've got to get on now. Thanks all for your help
    Last edited by matt9b; 3rd Jun 2011 at 11:10.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Per other thread, the tapes in question are probably NTSC and the VCR is outputting PAL-60.

Please identify the USB capture device so we can see if it is PAL-60 capable. The ADVC-55 is not.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Per other thread, the tapes in question are probably NTSC and the VCR is outputting PAL-60.

Please identify the USB capture device so we can see if it is PAL-60 capable. The ADVC-55 is not.
    lol Please stop spamming the thread with incorrect info

The tapes in this thread are PAL50i (25fps). See my post above

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the USB device is the Roxio USB capture device.
    http://www.roxio.co.uk/eng/products/easy-vhs-to-dvd/mac/overview.html

Thanks all for your help, I'm gonna let this thread lie now. I really have to get on
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The real problem here is that you post threads with incomplete information or spread the information over different threads.

Everyone who even attempts to help must then second guess or get that info from another thread.

Frankly I am bored with all of this now since you really seem to know more about all of this than those who want to help.

Good luck with getting your money back on the ADVC. You may just need it for a unit that actually does work
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The real problem here is that you post threads with incomplete information or spread the information over different threads.
    Not at all. As I've said before, the threads are unrelated. The threads are separate, that's why they're in separate threads!

Cheers for the help. I'm sorry if I've done anything to upset you
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've figured out the source of the "No video signal" message. Now you can too. It was the Roxio software.
    http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/65803-does-it-support-60hzntsc-recording/
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've figured out the source of the "No video signal" message. Now you can too. It was the Roxio software.
    Lol glad you figured out Correct. Of course it is I thought that was obvious. My apologies if I wasn't clear. Looking at the replies I'm not convinced I'm doing a good job at communicating lol!

Depending on the software used, if no signal is detected by the hardware, the software might say 'no signal', display a green screen or a black screen.. but the end result is the same - no capture due to hardware not picking up the signal How the software displays it is kindof irrelevant
    Last edited by matt9b; 3rd Jun 2011 at 22:55.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by matt9b View Post
    Lol glad you figured out Correct. Of course it is I thought that was obvious. My apologies if I wasn't clear. Looking at the replies I'm not convinced I'm doing a good job at communicating lol!

Depending on the software used, if no signal is detected by the hardware, the software might say 'no signal', display a green screen or a black screen.. but the end result is the same - no capture due to hardware not picking up the signal How the software displays it is kindof irrelevant
    You didn't read the thread.
    Quote Quote  
  30. I've got the Canopus ADVC-55 as well, just got it today and did notice that it skips frames, or even a few at a time. I've tried the Elgato Video Capture and the Dazzle DV-Bridge, however the Elgato gave really poor image quality and the Dazzle DV-Bridge would also skip but after a certain period of time the bottom 10% of the video was what should have been at the top (see here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1370728 )

I dropped some cash on the ADVC-55 today and the image quality is PERFECT, however when the video becomes a little scrambled it SOMETIMES will skip those frames (and sound) altogether and continue recording from a CLEAN signal.

So, a couple questions:

1) Is there any analog to digital converter that accepts a signal REGARDLESS if its clean or not?
    2) There are 6 switches on the unit, would any of them set it up to accept a signal regardless?
    3) I looked at the Roxio mentioned in this frame and it does output movies at 8mb/s MPEG-2, would it be fair to assume thats DV quality at that bit rate or is it still fairly poor given it being MPEG2?

Thank you!
    Quote Quote