VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am new to this. What is the best video converter and shrink software? Is there a package that does it all??? (convert, shrink, edit, creates menus, etc... and burns)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Convert from what format? I assume you are wanting to end up with a DVD.

If you want to shrink a DVD, then you need a decrypter program, then you can use DVD Shrink and ImgBurn to burn to disc. Or if you want a bit more quality, try DVD Rebuilder, but it will take quite a bit longer.

If you are converting from Xvid or other than a DVD, then there are a lot of choices. I use ConvertXToDVD. It's not free, but it handles most formats. There are other freeware converters. Look in 'Tools' to the left on this page: https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/all-in-one-dvd-converters

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I like Xilisoft Video Converter for about 90% of my conversions.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Right now I am using Convert Genius to convert over to DVD and blackberry; using DVDshrink to compress if the file does not fit on the DVD and will probably use Windows DVD maker to burn and make the menu. Convert Genius takes a real long time.. over an hour or more at times. I am wondering if there is some software that does it all and is a bit faster??
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One hour encoding time may be reaonable. The source and end formats, plus CPU determine what is possible in that area.

Windows DVD Maker creates menus with great effects, but I have not been happy with the quality of its video encoding. AVStoDVD does a better job for me re-encoding for DVD compatibility using HCEnc. Its DVD authoring abilities are basic but functional. It can import a number of different formats, convert, author and burn to DVD with ImgBurn.

I have no suggestions for a video converter to use for a Blackberry.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aeroz51 View Post
    Right now I am using Convert Genius to convert over to DVD and blackberry; using DVDshrink to compress if the file does not fit on the DVD and will probably use Windows DVD maker to burn and make the menu. Convert Genius takes a real long time.. over an hour or more at times. I am wondering if there is some software that does it all and is a bit faster??
    I work in IT for a living. That's what I do. I ALWAYS leave my PCs powered on. ALWAYS. Freakin' ALWAYS. At work AND home. Everybody I work with does the same. The reason that 1 hour just kills your soul and you can't let it run while you sleep/go to work/go off and run errands is...????

I'm hoping for a better answer than you're another idiot who believes that they must watch their PC for every minute it's on.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I purchased a copy of ConvertXtoDVD and using DVDshrink. Works very well. Thank you redwudz for the information.

~PC Watching Idiot
    Quote Quote