VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    You've probably seen it on tv; the Extra chewing gum ad. If not check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WBrRhZSG-Y.

Presumably plenty of tracks but ..... expensive high-speed, multi-position cameras? I looked and wondered. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Video directly in post:

I have no idea how they make it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've seen this tech in action before. It's really not that hard. You use multiple cameras, and the software recreates the 3D image. It's actually so "uncomplex" that it can be done with homebrew software, using the XBOX Kinect.

For example, this rudimentary example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QrnwoO1-8A
    There are more on Youtube. Some are much better, done with only 2-3 cameras.

Here's the first one I ever saw, for Kinect: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-w7UXCAUJE&feature=related

The technology to do this has existed since the 1990s, and is based off photostitching tech. It's really not too dissimilar from "bullet time" photography (as used in The Matrix, 1999).

I HIGHLY doubt all those scenes happened together, either. Each was likely shot separate, and then merged into the new composite.

I'd even bet the setting (house/yard) was fake, and was done in a green screen room, with matted "safe" floors (seeing how half the actors are in a state of motion what won't end fun). The Youtube version is too inferior to see tell-tale imperfections of green screen work. At about 0:03.5, the woman with the red bracelet has some odd hair edges that would usually point to green screen. Though it could just be crappy encoding artifacts -- hard to tell. At 0:22, the hair "moves" a bit, also telling of green screen work.

The grass and dirt clods in mid air are likely purely digital creations, added in post. At 0:17, there looks to be a slight axis distortion, in relation to dirt and human. Then again, it could be the artifact of long-GOP H.264 compression with over-filtration in prep.

"I am so smart, S-M-R-T!"
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 1st Jun 2011 at 07:28.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks guys. I remember something like this in one of those Hollywood movies from Tarantino I believe, or probably as you say, The Matrix movie with all of those effects. I have also seen the docos depicting the vast array of still cameras being fired off together and the resulting sequence of shots then being stitched together, as you point out. I have not been aware of it being used at this 'level' though although some ads obviously cost a motza. That, and the green screen, yup, I guess that might be the way!
    Pretty inspiring all the same.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    I guess you are smart , but the "S-M-R-T" made me write this post, SMRT in my native language means DEATH..

p.s. sorry for being OFF topic.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's a Homer Simpson quote.

"It takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen."
    "No beer and no TV make Homer go 'something, something.'"
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Go crazy ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. reminds me of "the other guys" bar scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diYx8M9HdXE

if you click on related links, there are a couple "making of" videos
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    yeah, other guys bar scene is awesome.. the bullet burst shot, the beer spilling part... awesome tricks
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pirej View Post
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    I guess you are smart , but the "S-M-R-T" made me write this post, SMRT in my native language means DEATH..

p.s. sorry for being OFF topic.
    Yeah, but in Cyrillic that's СМРТ. I can speak Russian and that's close to the Russian word for death, смерть.
    Quote Quote