VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 32
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Well i bought a capture card which i am now using to capture vhs content.
    I am using the custom resolution 720x576 (tell me please if this is wrong;S) and Yuv2 as i donīt know if the card i am using is uppscaling to RGB (MSI TV@nywhere Master). Using Lagarith codec, Yuv2, multithread checked.

So, i am having Big problems with virtualdub, itīs lagging, and getting like 10-15 fps while it should be 25, so i am sticking with Virtualvcr right now (help needed, want better program if possible:P).

So when i now capture there is some noise, i guess itīs natural but worth asking right
    There is liny things around stuff which i guess is the VCR or something, i am using composite output, as i donīt have S-Video on it, or i think itīs S-Video it should be, or itīs another thing which is very similar, there is 4 pins on it i think, and as i have heard it can help against these liny things. If you know more please inform

And for Audio i use an adapter from RCA to 3,5 mm, and use the motherboards Line In, and i use 48Khz 16 bit setting with 5 on master volume.

And the last thing for now, i am using Megui with X264, what is the best settings to use?
    I am mostly concerned about quality, as size donīt matter to much, just donīt want very big files, we can discuss this matter:P
    And Avisynth, what should i do about deinterlacing, when i use analyse i get good wana be progressive results i guess, but itīs ghosting or how to put it. I know deinterlace is a Big No though, should i rather encode interlaced and use ffdshow to deinterlace (as itīs hell to watch on pc otherwise).

Well, many questions and awful structure in the text
    Thank You for reading and helping out in anyway!

Will try to put pictures of the movie i am capturing as an example, a picture says more than a thousand words.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Assuming you're capturing PAL 720x576 is fine.

Liny things? Interlace comb artifacts? Post some samples. Something like the image in this post?
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/304889-Direct-Cable-Or-Digital-Converter-Box-quality-question
    You'll want to inverse telecine or deinterlace. It's best if you post a short video sample.
    Quote Quote  
  3. well a bit hard as itīs gigantic in file size, want me to encode interlaced like 30 sec somewhere?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Use VirtualDub in Video -> Direct Stream Copy mode to trim out a 1 second clip that clearly shows the problem. Upload it here (up to 30 MB).
    Quote Quote  
  5. https://forum.videohelp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7109&stc=1&d=1306862092
    well as you can see itīs alot of noise:P
    but look the shadow and shapes, you will probably see what i mean.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  6. oh, realised that using Line In with 5 Volume caused to high sound peaks or how to put it, anyone knows how to set it up?
    And could someone please help me with any other application, not to fond of virtualvcr
    Quote Quote  
  7. VirtualDub's Field Delay filter will fix the interlace comb lines in your captures. At least in that short sample. Sometimes PAL caps will switch in and out of phase so you may run into problems with longer samples. We can address that later if it's a problem.

VirtualDub can usually be configured to capture from raw YUY2 capture cards. Make sure it is set to capture at 25 fps. Don't try to do any filtering while capturing. Try using the various options under Capture -> Timing... There's usually some combination of settings there that will capture without dropping frames. The settings in this post might help:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/335399-TV-Capture-with-EasyCAP-and-VirtualDub-Audio...=1#post2082131

Lagarith might be too taxing for your system. Try using HuffYUV instead. And capture audio uncompressed to make sure audio compression isn't a problem. Capture to an internal drive other than your boot drive if possible.

Once you can capture without dropping frames in VirtualDub you can start experimenting with enabling codecs and filters. But you main goal is to capture cleanly, then you can filter later.

Regarding audio: your capture device doesn't have audio inputs? If it does it's usually best to use them. If you have to use your computer's Line In ports make sure the microphone boost isn't enabled. Adjust the recording volume in the System Mixer.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Well Line In isnīt the same as microphone right?
    isnīt Line In clean, like streaming from point A to point B or something:P

I got an i5 Quad Core 2,8ghz, so Lagarith is fine, atleast when i look at it i guess.

But the problem with virtualdub is that it "lags" even when not recording, i tried Directshow and WDM, donīt know why it wonīt work good, will read your link though.
    Thanks

Edit: When i turned off Audio Playback the fps went up to 25, atleast when not capturing, will try it
    Edit 2: What should i record in?
    i can only choose 16 bit in virtualdub it seems, and 96Khz is highest. I am not good with any of this stuff about audio, so please fill in
    Last edited by zerowalker; 31st May 2011 at 14:24.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by zerowalker View Post
    Well Line In isnīt the same as microphone right?
    isnīt Line In clean, like streaming from point A to point B or something:P
    Most computers' audio inputs can be configured for a microphone input or line level inputs. The difference is how much gain is applied to the signal. Microphones have much lower output so they need to have the signal boosted. The system mixer often has a setting for that.

Originally Posted by zerowalker View Post
    I got an i5 Quad Core 2,8ghz, so Lagarith is fine, atleast when i look at it i guess.
    It should be fine. But the process of troubleshooting dictates that you should remove everything that can cause probelms. You can always add them back in once you've found the problem.

Edit: When i turned off Audio Playback the fps went up to 25, atleast when not capturing, will try it
    I forgot to mention that as one of the possible fixes.

Edit 2: What should i record in?
    i can only choose 16 bit in virtualdub it seems, and 96Khz is highest. I am not good with any of this stuff about audio, so please fill in
    48 KHz, 16 bit, stereo, PCM. Your source doesn't have any more than that anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  10. By the way, is there anyway to tell if my card support RGB, and not upscaling or faking as i have read that some does?

Thanks as always, i am getting results from this and having fun

Edit: RGB is the best isnīt it?:S
    Quote Quote  
  11. Analog video is not transmitted in RGB, but YUV. Any card that has an RGB option is simply converting YUV to RGB on the fly. That can only make things worse.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Ah, thank you, that cleared things up for me
    Appreciated as always!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Well thought it would be good to bring it up, if you look at this video you can se that there is alot of noise.
    I am encoding in X264 with Megui, so i am using Avisynth.
    What do you think is the best method to decrease the noise, but try to keep sharp edges, and is there a way to increase contrast a bit, as itīs cartoon, and it looks to "Black/White" ish
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  14. First, look to see if you can adjust the capture card's video proc amp settings to adjust the picture to your liking. If not you can always filter afterwards. Your clip is too little to tell exactly what the adjustments should be but I think the black level looks about right. Maybe the white level could be higher. The saturation looks low. And obviously, it's noisy like all VHS. Here's a little quick filtering in VirtualDub:

Click image for larger version

Name:	filtered.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	7244

Click image for larger version

Name:	filters.png
Views:	1773
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	7245

Name:  rgbadj.png
Views: 2097
Size:  4.1 KB

There are many filters in AviSynth that are similar to these. If I have time I'll give some examples of that tomorrow.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Nicely done!
    I got very much to learn
    Please show AviSynth to, this makes things very interesting for me!
    I can only change Brightness and Contrast for Capture card, if you think it makes difference with playing with these say so (currently at PAL_B).

Thank You once again!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Oh, maybe a stupid question, but how am i supposed to save after filtering?
    as i use Megui for compression, should i save uncompressed from full processing mode?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by zerowalker View Post
    Oh, maybe a stupid question, but how am i supposed to save after filtering?
    In VirtualDub, set up your filters, select a compression codec, and File -> Save as AVI.

as i use Megui for compression, should i save uncompressed from full processing mode?
    I would save use HuffYUV or Lagarith. But uncompressed should work.
    Quote Quote  
  18. By the way, is it normal to only be able to choose brightness and contrast?
    And there is a VCR Input thing, but itīs grayed, got a friend who can check it though, wonder why.

Sorry for the many questions, but as said, i lack knowledge in this area, so i am trying to sharpen my expertise
    Quote Quote  
  19. If you look at this you can see that there are lines, green and red from the looks of it, as well as noise/garbage appearing here and there.
    Do you have any suggestions on what to do?
    (Have done some filtering on this file, itīs much smoother and better contrast etc!)

Edit, you may need to Stretch out to picture to see it clearly, i often do it as i see fullscreen etc, stupid maybe, but still.
    Edit 2, it seems that deinterlacing helps a bit, i tried playing with the settings, but i donīt really grasp it yet:S
    Edit 3, I am trying to find a good way to decrease lines from shaking, temporal smooth which you used seems good, and i tried a different one, Temporal Cleaner 0,5 but it hasnīt any preview which makes things hard though. Can you help me on this part later on maybe:P
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by zerowalker; 7th Jun 2011 at 05:54.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by zerowalker View Post
    By the way, is it normal to only be able to choose brightness and contrast?
    It depends on the driver and hardware. Some don't allow any control. Some allow more. Be sure to check the capture pin, the capture driver, and anything else you can configure from the Video menu in VirtualDub while in capture mode.

If you look at this you can see that there are lines, green and red from the looks of it, as well as noise/garbage appearing here and there.
    Do you have any suggestions on what to do?
    This is pretty slow but worth a try:

avisource("lines.avi")
    ChromaShift(C=-2, L=-2)
    ColorYUV(off_u=2, off_v=-6)
    Tweak(sat=1.5)
    AddBorders(0,0,0,2)
    ConvertToYV12(interlaced=true)
    McTemporalDenoise(settings="very high")
    ColorYUV() and Tweak() were from experiments with Noise.avi -- they make the sign white. I don't know if they're right for the Lines video. Actually, I don't know if they were right for the Noise video either -- I was just assuming the sign should be white.

McTemporalDenoise() has a lot of options you can try playing with.

What mode is lagarith in when you compress? If you're capturing YUY2 it should be in YUY2 mode. The horizontal orange stripes looked a little like YV12 problems.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Lagarith is with Multi Thread and YUY2.
    It took a while until i got the Avisynth to work, but the results were amazing
    I created an AVS
    AVISource("F:\Desktop\Digimon The Movie\Digimon Final.avi") ChromaShift(C=-2, L=-2)
    Tweak(sat=1.5)
    McTemporalDenoise(settings="high")

opened it in Virtualdub, saved in Full Proccessing Mode, and use Lagarith, i will upload the original and refined ones here, itīs about 2 sec.
    But one problem currently is that the lines are moving, itīs ALOT worse on the original as you can see, and i understand that you canīt make it perfect, so if you canīt do much about it, i will let it be. And i will have to take a look at the 3d stuff in the movie to see how it went there, but the other problem is, that itīs Extremely slow, i canīt move around after i opened it in virtualdub, or atleast itīs going so slow that it takes alot of time. I got a quad core, but itīs only using 1 core, but donīt know much about virtualdub and such, and i have seen some avisynth mods around the net, but mayber you can fill in there

I donīt have any filtering on with AVS, no deinterlacing or anything, so if i should have anything please say so
    Amazing results, i am very impressed and itīs wonderful how much i am learning, i am very thankful!
    PS: Got 64 bit, 8gb ram, if that helps anything.
    Last edited by zerowalker; 7th Jun 2011 at 21:56.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by zerowalker View Post
    the other problem is, that itīs Extremely slow, i canīt move around after i opened it in virtualdub, or atleast itīs going so slow that it takes alot of time.
    Yes, McTemporalDenoise() is very slow. You can try TTempSmooth() instead but you'll have to play around with the settings a lot.

I got a quad core, but itīs only using 1 core, but donīt know much about virtualdub and such, and i have seen some avisynth mods around the net, but mayber you can fill in there
    There is a multithreaded build of AviSynth. You can use that and the SetMTMode() command to get better use of your quad core. It can be a bit buggy -- some filters don't multithread properly.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Well here they are
    But edges are not how i want them to be, but itīs much much better, everything is, and i got you to thank for the results
    I feel bad to continue asking for help, but i would like to learn more so guess i will do it anyway:P
    Well tell me what you think about Video Before and After
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  24. if you have a compatible graphics card, you can use GPU=true for MCTemporalDenoise for a slight speedup (it will use FFT3DGPU instead of FFT3DFilter for some of the calculations)
    Quote Quote  
  25. Ah, nice, will try it, my GPU should be able to do that (ATI 6970).
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  26. yeah that should work with GPU=true

I looked at your clip;

Another speedup trick is to pre crop the footage (letterboxing, black borders). MCTD will be a significantly faster because of smaller area to process

Interlaced crop has special restrictions
    http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Crop

So for a YUY2 interlaced clip, has to be mod2 width and height , you can addborders() back after

Also, MCTD isn't being used correctly here assuming you're preserving the interlacing and using the script in post#22, it needs interlaced=true switch
    Quote Quote  
  27. Oh, Nice will do the cropping before then!
    Quote Quote  
  28. Well what is your end format goal ? What is your intended target/device/playback ?

Are you encoding interlaced ?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Encoding Interlaced?
    well, i am capturing from my vcr to my pc, then i am using
    AVISource("F:\Desktop\Digimon The Movie\Digimon Final.avi") ChromaShift(C=-2, L=-2)
    Tweak(sat=1.5)
    McTemporalDenoise(settings="high")

something similar to this, i donīt know if itīs interlaced or not after that:S

But my End Goal is to save it on my pc, so i want it to look as good as possible
    Call it Self Satisfactory if you want to.

I am a nostalgia fan or what to call it, so i want to save all my VHS to my pc, or atleast the most of them, as you canīt get them now days, as i am from sweden and want swedish language as it brings back many memories etc
    Quote Quote