VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 32
FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Well...the fact that you acquired a capture at all is a Wonder (pardon the pun). But have you tried actually capturing a video from one of tapes or movies? Even so, I don't know that the card would work as "just another PCI device" in a plain vanilla PCI slot. You might try looking for one of the old PCi TV tuners, which really were PCI-only capture devices and TV tuners, not primary graphics cards.

VDub version 10.1.3 might have something to do with it. That version is still in the experimental stage. Further, if you are using "overlay" in your capture view window, it probably won't register in a screen capture. But I never tried capturing from that window.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 26th Mar 2014 at 03:44.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by zerowalker View Post
    Do you have to only have the AIW card connected to get the capture to work?

Cause if i have my Graphic Card connected, it doesnīt even show the capture drivers in Device Manager at all.
    But if i remove it, it works fine.
    Typical ATI driver problems.
    Yes, people report many problems with ATI drivers -- none of which I experienced (knock on wood) with their pre-2005 cards. But AFAIK there are no Vista drivers for the 7500 VE. zerowalker must be using XP drivers or something like that. No wonder it has problems (sorry for the "wonder" again!).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Oops, nevermind.
    Quote Quote  
  4. To make sure, i have dual booted for both Windows XP and Vista.
    So i got both working (well Vista isnīt solid as said), and Windows XP is the same with that it needs to be Primary.

I read more about it, it seems to have something with IRQ getting shared or something.
    Have tried changing slots and all that, but my motherboard wonīt allow the TV Tuner to work at all, only the graphic card.

you might try looking for one of the old PCi TV tuners, which really were PCI-only capture devices and TV tuners, not primary graphics cards.
    Well, probably that would solve this problem.
    But i can live with it, as long as i am able to capture correctly.

I donīt think the Vdub version really matters for this. If you mean that i am able to capture in Vista, it has to do with forcing XP drivers as you said in the second post.

Why i even bothered to try and get it to work, is that my Sound Card wonīt work in XP, and only in Vista+, and if it works in Vista, than i am more than happy to give it a shot.

But have you tried actually capturing a video from one of tapes or movies?
    What do you mean here?
    If i have tried done that when it isnīt used as primary?

Well itīs not possible to capture at all, as there is no capture device.
    If you meant just to ask about capturing video, No i have not tried, and i probably need a TBC, which i donīt have yet.
    So i am not all the way there.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I understand the dilemma. Many have tried similar solutions, but there is no rush from anyone to say that they proved to be realistic. The 7500 VE had (I believe) a maximum video RAM of 64MB and was designed for the Windows 95/98 and early Win2000 era. Its drivers were last updated years ago for Windows XP -- but by that time, newer AIW's had far surpassed the old VE series, and the PCI v1 graphics interface was no longer made in PC's (AGP had replaced it). Perhaps you already know most of this.

As far as I know, a PCI graphics card wouldn't be fully functional unless it is installed as a primary graphics adapter. But, then, I don't know of anyone who tried using such a card as a PCI add-on like a network card or audio card. I guess the reason I've not had much trouble with my ATI's might be because I've never tried using them outside the limits of ATI's instructions. If ATI's official line was that their product would malfunction or install improperly unless certain conditions were met, I didn't try to tempt fate.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 26th Mar 2014 at 03:45.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Didnīt actually now all that, but that explains itīs limitations.
    And well, i wouldnīt be bothered by it if it werenīt for me having set up this system for capturing.
    So i canīt just build another system, or well i can but it wouldnīt be worth it, itīs better to just remove the other Card then to make it primary.

But i will look into a way of modding the Bios to make the PCI primary, though probably wonīt be able to do much,
    i have another PC that i think has the option to prioritize PCI over PCI-E, and will probably see if that changes it, cause if it does, that that would be a good setting to look for when i upgrade.

But i donīt recommend you trying to go over the limitations, as you can see, itīs not working out to well, the best way is to just have it all in one system really, which most seem to go with.

EDIT:

Okay tried the other PC, but it seems that the AIW card wonīt work at all in windows 8 (atleast 64 bit), and i mean, that it doesnīt even detect the TV Tuner device, not even as unknown etc, i tried everything.
    So sadly as i donīt have any other OS and donīt want to mess with that one, i canīt confirm if the setting works or not.
    Last edited by zerowalker; 26th May 2013 at 07:23.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It would work if you can find an older XP computer that takes an old-fashioned PCI graphics card. They still exist; I encounter them frequently in my PC repair work. I have an AIW 7500 AGP card made in 2000, used in a 2002 PC. No, I wouldn't use that setup for processing but I still use it for capture. But that's a newer AGP version, not an old PCI. I still have my ancient AIW "Rage" 1998 PCI version somewhere (it has 16MB of RAM. Wow!), but can't use it. It's even older than the 7500 VE.

A great many PC's were sold with AIW AGP cards inside. Most of their owners never used them for capture, but many bought them as entry-level gaming machines. The problem is, most of those users lost the connecting cables. This is one reason that a complete AIW setup with all cables from that era sometimes show up on auction sites at rather high prices.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 26th Mar 2014 at 03:45.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    It would work if you can find an older XP computer that takes an old-fashioned PCI graphics card
    What do you mean with that?

The problem is, most of those users lost the connecting cables. This is one reason that a complete AIW setup with all cables from that era sometimes show up on auction sites at rather high prices.
    Yeah got that from my asking around about the cards too, but i wonder, canīt the cables be remade, doesnīt Ebay have third party cables that can replace them?

I still have my ancient AIW "Rage" 1998 PCI version somewhere (it has 16MB of RAM. Wow!)
    Haha, marvelous, thatīs some nice antique equipment there;D
    Last edited by zerowalker; 26th May 2013 at 10:51.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    It would work if you can find an older XP computer that takes an old-fashioned PCI graphics card
    What do you mean with that?
    It means finding an old PC that is about 10 years old or so, and has a PCI graphics card slot instead of an input slot for an AGP or PCIe graphics card.

...but i wonder, canīt the cables be remade, doesnīt Ebay have third party cables that can replace them?
    The cable was a proprietary design that changed with each version of the AIW series. I have seen people sell those cables on auction sites. However, I don't recall if the earlier VE series used that big cable. If you were able to connect a composite or s-video cable directly to the VE card that you have, then that model didn't require a special cable.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 26th Mar 2014 at 03:46.
    Quote Quote  
  10. It means finding an old PC that is about 10 years old or so, and has a PCI graphics card slot instead of an input slot for an AGP or PCIe graphics card.
    But wouldnīt that defeat the purpose, as then it wouldnīt have PCI-E, meaning i would have to only use the ATI AIW anyway?
    Or am i misunderstanding here?

The cable was a proprietary design that changed with each version of the AIW series. I have seen people sell those cables on auction sites. However, I don't recall if the earlier VE series used that big cable. If you were able to connect a composite or s-video cable directly to the VE card that you have, then that model didn't require a special cable.
    I see, well mine does use the "Big one", itīs the "S-video looking" to a big adapter with RCA, Composite And S-Video.
    So i guess thatīs what you mean?

And well, one thing i noticed, and i wonder what you do.

Do you let the audio pass through the AIW card?
    Cause if i do that, i get alot of noise, as itīs not at all good att isolating EMI (i get noise when i move the mouse etc).

Not really a problem as i can just ignore and capture directly, which shouldnīt get any problem, but wonder if you get that, or if you arenīt bothered by it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You appear to have the correct cable.

PCI, AGP, and PCIe are three different types of graphics card mounting slots.

The AIW cable has an audio cable that feeds from the card to the "Line In" input on your sound card's connections. The main reason for it is that, for one thing, there was no room on the ATI card's circuit board for a full-fledged sound processor.

Dating from my original Ati Rage AIW PCI back in 1996 (with a measley 8MB video RAM, which was phenomenal back then), I haven't had any problems, except when I did something silly on my own. I always followed ATI's and other graphics cards' release notes to the letter. That might be less adventurous, but it has paid off so far.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Yes i know, but i try to use my PCI-E card along with PCI.
    But will solve it somehow.

Ah well i havenīt used that "function", i meant using the line in on the AIW, then line out into the line in of your soundcard of choice.

so TV In-TV Out-Line In. If you get it, i thought that was the "correct" way when i searched fast, didnīt even see the line in connection until yesterday.
    And well, that method added some extreme noise. But then again, it was a real around the way to capture the audio, so itīs no wonder something happened along the way.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It means finding an old PC that is about 10 years old or so, and has a PCI graphics card slot instead of an input slot for an AGP or PCIe graphics card.
    But wouldnīt that defeat the purpose, as then it wouldnīt have PCI-E, meaning i would have to only use the ATI AIW anyway?
    Or am i misunderstanding here?.
    I believe what he means is to use the older computer as a capture-only machine, and do your editing on your newer computer.

This is exactly what I do - I have an older Pentium 4 HP Pavillion that runs XP and has my old ATI capture card installed. I use VDub to capture from VHS, then I transfer the captured video to my newer dual-core Windows 7 video editing computer. It adds an extra step but it allows me to continue using my old ATI card, which is still working great.
    Last edited by TB Player; 31st May 2013 at 14:14.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    oops... duplicate.
    Last edited by TB Player; 31st May 2013 at 14:15.
    Quote Quote