VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I haven't been able to find out whether the LG BD-630 Blu-Ray player (which I am considering buying) plays divx or not. I know that it plays xvid, but I'm not sure about divx. Does anyone know?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If it plays Xvid, it plays Divx. The differences are very slight.

However some encoding options can be problematic for any standalone player. See below:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/290800-My-DivX-DVD-Player-can-t-play-my-avi-DivX-xvid-video
    Quote Quote  
  3. If it plays Xvid, it plays Divx. The differences are very slight.
    I'm not sure of that. An older model, the BD530, says that it supports the following:
    Formats
    “.avi”, “.divx”, “.mpg”, “.mpeg”, “.mkv”, “.mp4”

Codec formats:
    “DIVX3.xx”, “DIVX4.xx”,
    DIVX5.xx”, “XVID”, “DIVX6.xx” (Standard playback
    only), H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, MPEG2 PS, MPEG2 TS

However, the BD630 only says that it acceps these:
    Formats:
    “.avi”, “.mpg”, “.mpeg”, “.mkv”, “.mp4”, “.asf”, “.wmv”, “.m4v” (DRM free)

Codec formats: XVID, MPEG1 SS, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, MPEG2 PS, MPEG2 TS
    Last edited by hbenthow; 29th May 2011 at 15:00.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As jman mentioned, if it's capable of playing Xvid, it should be capable of playing DivX, for the most part (though I don't know whether or not some of DivX's advanced encoding (or Ultra) features might cause problems). Both Xvid and DivX are the same, on a basic level. Both are MPEG-4 codecs... and, in fact, Xvid was originally forked from an earlier version of DivX.

The newest version of DivX also adds the ability to encode to h.264 in an MKV container, and the format support you list for the BD360 indicates it'll probably support that, too. How well, I couldn't say.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, but I bought this unit and it does NOT play Divix. It should because it plays Xvid but it doesn't. Nor does it play VCDs. You will have to convert your Divix files to AVI, MKV or MP4.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by victorpf View Post
    Sorry, but I bought this unit and it does NOT play Divix. It should because it plays Xvid but it doesn't. Nor does it play VCDs. You will have to convert your Divix files to AVI, MKV or MP4.
    That's what I figured. I got an older model, the BD530, which does play divx, instead.
    Quote Quote  
  7. locotus
    Search Comp PM
    I don't get it clearly, according with hbenthow description of BD530 and BD630 both player
    are capable of playing avi files.

Avi is a container that many people use to backup DVDs. Most commonly
    error are do to the use of packed bitstream which is a default option por
    some home theater profiles of both codecs XviD and DivX, that some stand alone
    players do not support.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by victorpf View Post
    I'm sure that it really will play Divx. I stand by my original post. Either you have to rename the file to end in .xvid or .avi or you can change the FourCC code on the Divx file to say Xvid and it will play it. This kind of issue is long known as are the workarounds for it. But most players do not discriminate between the two. I'm guessing that LG decided to save some pennies on the licensing of the Divx codec which is why it doesn't officially support it, but I'm also sure that if I had access to your player I could easily get it to play some of the files it supposed won't play right now by simply trying what I suggested.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. Since we are on the subject of LG, what USB external HD should I buy? I believe I read that I should get one with an external power supply as the DVD does not have enough power. I want to play my movies from the usb device through my LG player.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by victorpf View Post
    Thanks. Since we are on the subject of LG, what USB external HD should I buy? I believe I read that I should get one with an external power supply as the DVD does not have enough power. I want to play my movies from the usb device through my LG player.
    I would recommend the Western Digital WD Elements 1 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive. http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Elements-Desktop-External/dp/B002QEBMB4/ref=sr_1...8332829&sr=8-1
    Quote Quote  
  11. The LG BD630 as shown on Newegg, Out of stock BTW, shows
    File Playback Formats
    DivX/DivX HD, MPEG2 TS/PS, MPEG1 SS, XVID, MKV, AVI, WMA, MP3, AC3, AAC, JPEG, PNG
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
  12. locotus
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not really sure that DVD players could handle external hard disk drives, my DVD player is a Phillips
    with usb support and only play files from USB sticks, not HDs.
    So I beleive you should check if your DVD has built in support not only for USB sticks but for
    Hard drives, before buyng anything.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by locotus View Post
    I'm not really sure that DVD players could handle external hard disk drives, my DVD player is a Phillips
    with usb support and only play files from USB sticks, not HDs.
    So I beleive you should check if your DVD has built in support not only for USB sticks but for
    Hard drives, before buyng anything.
    The real cause of this problem is trying to use either a disk format not supported by the player (unfortunately NTFS is often not supported) or trying to use a non-powered USB enclosure. The USB drives on many DVD and BluRay players can't really generate enough power to drive a large external drive so using a powered enclosure can often mean the difference between success and failure here.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The LG can support usb hard drives. As I stated before I have read that you need a usb device with a power cord because the DVD
    player does not have enough power.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Looking at a new player myself... just wondering, when people say it won't play DivX files, are we saying DivX encoded AVI files? or files ending with *.divx?

Also, for external drives... FAT32? or is NTSF an option?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On topic, but off topic...

Does anyone know for sure if the 630 can play back AVI *and* MP4 files with 1920 X 1080 resolution, that is the RESOLUTION OF THE AVI AND MP4 FILE, not the resolution of my TV that I am specifying (Though... my TV is 1080 too)

Thanks much,
    Andrew
    Quote Quote