VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been trying to investigate some weird thumbnail creation issues in multiAVCHD, and I think i've traced it back to this...

I ripped/demuxed a home dvd (i.e. no encryption or other protection) using pgcDemux. The file is about 1hr 20 min long. The resulting file ripped and plays back fine. But I noticed that the run time that shows up when I click on the file is about 50 min.

I also transcoded this file with multiAVCHD and the resulting output video shows correctly as 1hr 20 min. Through some experimentation, i've found that when I play the files side by side, the running timers and video are in sync. BUT, if I were to open the pgcDemux output file and /skip/ to a certain point in the movie, time timestamp for that part is completely different than what it would have been if I had just let the video play naturally to that part...

So, a frame that normally comes up around 10 min if I let the file play naturally, will also come up if I open the file and move the playhead to 6:30.

Since you seek through the file to chose chapters and set thumbnails in multiAVCHD, this produces some completely unexpected results between what you see when you set the thumbs, and what thumbs you actually get when you publish, since the timecodes point to a totally different place.

It seems like the issue is the way pgcDemux is demuxing my dvd... does anyone know what my issue might be here? Originally I thought it might be a framerate issue, but it seems like the framerate is being read correctly (especially since multiAVCHD is picking up/transcoding with the same framerate and the resulting file shows as being the correct length)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you think its a rip issue try ripping with dvd shrink or dvd fab. If its home made you won't have to worry about copy protection. However if its off of a dvd recorder dvd shrink MIGHT have troubles with it - it might not like a vr structure versus a "normal" video_ts folder - just a heads up on the possibility.

edit - sorry disregard this - I see you are trying to demux the dvd. I haven't demuxed a dvd in ages so I can't recommend a latest and greatest tool for you on that front. Though if I recall dvd decrypter does let you demux - and since its home made it won't matter that dvd decrypter is out of date and hasn't seen an update in forever and never will.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ok, thanks. I guess I should try another demuxing tool, I Just wondered if maybe this timing issue was something obvious I overlooked, or a common issue with certain file types or something...

The ripped dvd is a dvd-r and the video is being demuxed to an m2v file. Even though I have this weird timing issue there was also no problems with video when the file was re-muxed/transcoded with multiAVCHD... resulting audio/video are perfect
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by ryoaska1 View Post
    It seems like the issue is the way pgcDemux is demuxing my dvd... does anyone know what my issue might be here?
    Nope, not due to PGCDemux at all. The issue is that most players don't show the right times when just playing the M2V. If you were to demux a VOB using PGCDemux, you'd see the times are correct. I know nothing about your MultiAVCHD problem, but it's certainly not PGCDemux's fault.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yeah, the actual length and time are correct it's just the players and the OS showing the wrong thing. I didn't realize multiAVCHD could pull directly from the ifo and vob files, so I can totally bypass this issue It even pulls all the chapter info so I don't have to rebuild that, pretty cool.

Thanks for the help though, always good to learn more.
    Quote Quote