VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. @jagebo. Many thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. @poisondeathray. So Vdub "plugins" and "filters" are the same thing?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by shaunthesheep View Post
    @poisondeathray. So Vdub "plugins" and "filters" are the same thing?
    They can be. Some filters are external plugins . Some examples are neat video, MSU filters, color mill etc...

"Filters" usually refer to some video or audio effect e.g. color correction, denoising, cropping, volume increase etc...

This one is an input driver, it's used to import videos into vdub through the directshow framework. So it's not really a "filter" in the sense of a manipulation applied to video or audio
    Quote Quote  
  4. I am using ffmbc 0.6rc6
    Is there a Windows binary for this version? If there is, could you give me a link please? The version I got from Videohelp is 0.5. I can see a 0.6rc6 version on the authors site but it appears to be source code for Linux (?).

One of the Lightworks users came up with the following string that works well with FFmbc 0.5.

ffmbc -i input.mts -vcodec copy -acodec aac -ab 128k -strict experimental output.mp4

This works with my MTS with 5.1 surround sound. Using 128k audio bitrate gives a decent sound quality (the default is apparently 64k which gives poor quality sound). All six channels import into Lightworks. And transcoding on import to MPEG I-frame HD also preserves the six audio channels.

The converted mov file (with uncompressed pcm audio) has 6 audio channels, but Lightworks reduces these to two on import and something obviously goes wrong because the sound is silent with occasional faint noises that don't bear any resemblance to the original audio.

AAC is not ideal as you say (lossy) but it appears to be palatable to Lightworks where 5.1 audio is concerned.

Many thanks for your assistance. I will see if I can use this method with Avant GUI--it might be more approachable for Windows users that are not used to command strings.

I have installed the Vdub directshow plugin but still can't open MTS. I will have to try and get my head round AVISynth.
    Last edited by shaunthesheep; 28th May 2011 at 08:54.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by shaunthesheep View Post
    I am using ffmbc 0.6rc6
    Is there a Windows binary for this version? If there is, could you give me a link please? The version I got from Videohelp is 0.5. I can see a 0.6rc6 version on the authors site but it appears to be source code for Linux (?).
    You have to compile it from the sources. The one I compiled the other day doesn't have AAC support. (You can include whatever external libraries you want)

One of the Lightworks users came up with the following string that works well with FFmbc 0.5.

ffmbc -i input.mts -vcodec copy -acodec aac -ab 128k -strict experimental output.mp4

This works with my MTS with 5.1 surround sound. Using 128k audio bitrate gives a decent sound quality (the default is apparently 64k which gives poor quality sound). All six channels import into Lightworks. And transcoding on import to MPEG I-frame HD also preserves the six audio channels.
    So lightworks ingests it as MPEG I-frame ? (it transcodes it upon import? )

Why don't you use -ab 256k ? Less quality loss. Use even higher for 5.1, maybe 384k

I'm still wondering why uncompressed PCM wave audio isn't accepted properly ?

You can try some other types of uncompressed audio, maybe big endian instead
    s16be PCM signed 16 bit big-endian format
    s16le PCM signed 16 bit little-endian format
    s24be PCM signed 24 bit big-endian format
    s24le PCM signed 24 bit little-endian format
    s302m SMPTE 302M Audio format
    s32be PCM signed 32 bit big-endian format
    s32le PCM signed 32 bit little-endian format

Or did you try -vcodec copy with ffmbc ? Maybe AC3 is ok with that build ?

The converted mov file (with uncompressed pcm audio) has 6 audio channels, but Lightworks reduces these to two on import and something obviously goes wrong because the sound is silent with occasional faint noises that don't bear any resemblance to the original audio.
    Very bizarre. It must not use quicktime then

Many thanks for your assistance. I will see if I can use this method with Avant GUI--it might be more approachable for Windows users that are not used to command strings.
    Ask Chris in the Avanti thread for help . It might be as simple as renaming the binary and dropping it in

I have installed the Vdub directshow plugin but still can't open MTS. I will have to try and get my head round AVISynth.
    Did you select the driver from list in the dropdown menu in the open dialog box? This is what most people forget to do
    Quote Quote  
  6. I was able to mux an HD MPEG 2 elementary stream into an AVI container with AviDemux.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I was able to mux an HD MPEG 2 elementary stream into an AVI container with AviDemux.
    I think this is a lightworks issue. I think it won't accept "ordinary" MPEG2 in AVI. He said he tried FFMPEG generated MPEG2 in AVI, which resulted in black screen in lightworks
    Quote Quote  
  8. It has to be mpeg 2 intra frame.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Did you specify -intra in the command when using ffmpeg for mpeg2video ? Try 422 as well because that's what matrox mpeg2 is

eg.

ffmpeg -i input.mts -vcodec mpeg2video -pix_fmt yuv422p -qscale 1 -qmin 1 -intra -acodec copy output.avi

EDIT:
    actually your input files are interlaced 1080i50 (the above is only for progressive encoding), the command for mpeg2 intra should be:

ffmpeg -i input.mts -vcodec mpeg2video -pix_fmt yuv422p -flags +ildct+ilme -top 1 -qscale 1 -qmin 1 -intra -acodec copy output.avi

while you're at it, I would give dnxhd a shot

ffmpeg -i input.mts -vcodec dnxhd -b 185m -flags +ildct+ilme -top 1 -acodec pcm_s16le output.mov

(try ffmbc too, instead of ffmpeg. Some ffmpeg builds require bitrate to be in bits/s so you might need -b 185000000 for the dnxhd bitrate)
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 28th May 2011 at 11:19.
    Quote Quote  
  10. @poisondeathray. Thanks for the intra commands.

Just got answer from Chris in the Avanti forum. He says rename ffmbc.exe to ffmpeg_ffmbc.exe and put it in the ffmpeg folder in the Avanti programme folder.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Their press release says dnxhd is supported

http://www.editshare.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=149:lightworks-a...ses&Itemid=184

Now qualified for ProRes, DNxHD, AVC-Intra, RED, DPX, P2, and XDCAM HD formats, Lightworks collaborates seamlessly with Avid and Final Cut Pro.

If you're interested in improving the software, you should report these findings to the developers. Things like uncompressed audio should not be a problem for any editor. AC3 is pretty generic standard stuff as well

You mentioned this is a transition period, but this 5month old post suggests that it's using ffmpeg for back end support already
    http://www.lightworksbeta.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=12&id=1335&Itemid=269#1816

Blender had a lot of growing pains with it's video sequence editor as well. I'm sure lightworks will improve if you give the developers feedback, testing, samples

For example, AVCHD has been out for 3-4 years now, and FCP (probably the most popular/used "pro" editor) still can't edit it natively. Their next release is finally supposed to be able to
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 28th May 2011 at 12:00.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by shaunthesheep View Post
    It has to be mpeg 2 intra frame.
    Just about any MPEG 2 encoder can create all i-frame video.
    Quote Quote  
  13. If you're interested in improving the software, you should report these findings to the developers. Things like uncompressed audio should not be a problem for any editor. AC3 is pretty generic standard stuff as well
    I am reporting everything to the Lightworks forum. See this thread in the Lightworks forum.

I managed to successfully convert the MTS I linked you to above to MPEG I-frame HD with Vdub with the help of:

DirectShow input driver (place this in .\VirtualDub\plugins32\)
    Haali Media Splitter (for MP4, M2TS/MTS and Matroska)
    ffdshow-tryouts (for MP4, M2TS/MTS and Matroska).

However, I am having trouble with another MTS with 5.1 surround sound--the Audio menu > Conversion options are only for mono or stereo. Is there a Vdub plugin or filter that can handle these 6 channel audio files?

I also saw in passing a Vdub mod for surround sound.
    Quote Quote  
  14. what do you want to convert it to ? usually uncompressed audio (pcm wav) is the best, but lightworks might not like it

5.1 audio should work fine , it might be your directshow setup - you might be downmixing it somewhere in your filter chain

what does vdub file=>file information report? how many audio channels ?

If it's only "seeing" stereo, then render the mts in graphstudio and post a screenshot of what you see back here. You may have to configure your directshow setup properly

Directshow can be inconsistent, because it relies on system installed codecs/filters. 10 different people might get 10 different results depending on their setup and filter chain. There can be issues with frame accuracy as well
    Quote Quote  
  15. The audio in the AVI file I uploaded was six channel uncompressed PCM. The DirectShow input plugin will pass along whatever the installed DirectShow decoder you have gives it. If your 5.1 decoder is set to down-mix to stereo that's what VirtualDub will get. If it's set to decode to six channels that's what VirtualDub will get.
    Quote Quote  
  16. what do you want to convert it to ? usually uncompressed audio (pcm wav) is the best, but lightworks might not like it
    I chose "no compression (pcm)" in Vdub > Audio > Compression

Vdub file info just reveals the Directshow Driver Configuration box. I need to learn how to configure Directshow.

Directshow can be inconsistent, because it relies on system installed codecs/filters. 10 different people might get 10 different results depending on their setup and filter chain. There can be issues with frame accuracy as well
    That sounds like a recipe for confusion for users of Lightworks--some of whom will not be clued up about any of this.

It might be easier to stick with command line/bat files or possibly Avanti (when I find out how it works).
    Quote Quote  
  17. You have to compile it from the sources. The one I compiled the other day doesn't have AAC support. (You can include whatever external libraries you want)
    Is your compiled version for Linux or Windows?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by shaunthesheep View Post
    You have to compile it from the sources. The one I compiled the other day doesn't have AAC support. (You can include whatever external libraries you want)
    Is your compiled version for Linux or Windows?
    Windows

I can post the binary but it's missing all the external libraries except for avisynth support, and really only a "skeleton" build. I would stick with the official release 0.5 for general usage, at least until 0.6 becomes official and bugs are worked out. Or if you really want to, you can compile it with other libraries from the source
    Quote Quote  
  19. I have been llookig at the ffdshow configuration panels. Can't see any place related to enabling 5.1 surround sound. I am lost. Is the ffshow mixer the place to set 5.1?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Look at the Mixer controls. It will automatically decode to multichannel unless you have the mixer set to downmix.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	mixer.png
Views:	914
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	7056
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by shaunthesheep View Post
    I have been llookig at the ffdshow configuration panels. Can't see any place related to enabling 5.1 surround sound.
    follow the instructions posted above about graphstudio

it's for determining what your directshow setup configuration

(you might not even be using ffdshow for audio)
    Quote Quote  
  22. Thanks, I have downloaded Graphstudio. Here is the grah for my 5.1 mts file.

Name:	mts 5.1.png
Views:	632
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	7077

Name:	graph edit mts 5.1.png
Views:	444
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	7078

Interestingly, the mp4 file with aac created via FFmbc, which also retains 6 channel audio in the converted file, imports into Lightworks OK and the audio is not down-mixed.

I tried the higher audio bitrate (256k) and there is a quality improvement except for one section where a speaker exclaims in a much louder voice than elsewhere. The voice is is not clear--slightly
    "muddy".

In the avi file saved in Vdub. voices sound like they have been slowed from 45rpm to 33 rpm--very deep bass.
    Last edited by shaunthesheep; 30th May 2011 at 01:51.
    Quote Quote  
  23. GraphStudio shows that ffdshow is not being used to decode the AC3 audio. AC3 Filter is being used -- and that's probably configured to downmix to stereo. Right click on AC3Filter in GraphStudio and select Properties to change its settings.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I just changed the channels in the AC3 filter properties to 3/2+SW 5.1 channels. See screen grab. I imported the MTS and it crashed Vdub. Have I got the right selection? Is the AC3 filter the same thing as the AC3 plugin? I also installed yesterday the ac3acm fix 2 codec. Just trying to figure out where the AC3 filter came from.

EDIT

Tried again to import the MTS into Vdub and it successfully saved a 5.1 audio AVI that imports into Lightworks and plays OK with all 6 channels intact. Only slight problem is some background noise in the audio playback in Lightworks. A sort of faint but noticeable crickets-like sound. This sound is not present when playing the converted file in Media Player Classic Home Cinema. It could be my active Roland studio speakers which are attached to the soundcard (via a mixer)--they do pick up noise. However, the crickets sound is not present in a file exported from Lightworks. Video and audio is excellent. Lightworks manages to down-mix to stereo in the exported file. Can't see an export option to prevent this. I will ask about this in the Lightworks forum. Many thanks for your assistance.

.Click image for larger version

Name:	graphstudio.png
Views:	192
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	7080
    Last edited by shaunthesheep; 30th May 2011 at 12:15.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Post deleted.
    Last edited by shaunthesheep; 30th May 2011 at 12:15.
    Quote Quote  
  26. If you're interested in improving the software, you should report these findings to the developers. Things like uncompressed audio should not be a problem for any editor. AC3 is pretty generic standard stuff as well
    I raised it as a possible bug but another forum user converted another 5.1 AC3 file to 6 channel pcm with TMPGEnc and had no problem importing all 6 audio channels into Lightworks.

Is there an alternative -acodec for creating uncompressed pcm?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by shaunthesheep View Post
    If you're interested in improving the software, you should report these findings to the developers. Things like uncompressed audio should not be a problem for any editor. AC3 is pretty generic standard stuff as well
    I raised it as a possible bug but another forum user converted another 5.1 AC3 file to 6 channel pcm with TMPGEnc and had no problem importing all 6 audio channels into Lightworks.

Is there an alternative -acodec for creating uncompressed pcm?
    look at post #35 , try big endian

use mediainfo (view=>text ) on the 6channel pcm that works converted from TMPGEnc. There might be header differences that cause lightworks behave differently
    Quote Quote  
  28. This is the Mediainfo analysis supplied by the forum user who successfully used TMPGEnc:

http://www.lightworksbeta.com/media/kunena/attachments/177/pcm%20surround.txt

And here is his post.

I tried some of the other commands suggested in post 35 with no luck so far. Still trying. At the end of the import process, Lightworks extracts the 0 channel and fails to extract any more. Two channels are present in the clip in Lightworks but only one has a wave form.

How would is s302m SMPTE 302M Audio format formulated as a command in a string:

-acodec ???
    Last edited by shaunthesheep; 31st May 2011 at 13:48.
    Quote Quote  
  29. That's little endian, what I suggested first

It might be that lightworks has problems with that in MOV container

I tried ffmbc 0.5 on a 5.1 avchd clip , and it produced the same profile
    ffmbc -i input.mts -vn -acodec pcm_s16le output.wav

Audio
    ID : 0
    Format : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness : Little
    Format settings, Sign : Signed
    Codec ID : 00001000-0000-0100-8000-00AA00389B71
    Codec ID/Hint : Microsoft
    Duration : 30s 48ms
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 4 608 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 16.5 MiB (100%)
    Quote Quote  
  30. I managed to convert to wav OK using your string and it imports into Lightworks OK with all 6 channel intact and audio playback excellent. Progress. Many thanks. It does seem to be a problem with the MOV container.
    Last edited by shaunthesheep; 31st May 2011 at 14:24.
    Quote Quote