VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am from Europe so I'm in PAL region and I have Panasonic VCR with NTSC video cassette that is in EP format. Now I usually connect my VCR with a USB cable called "EasyCAP". It usually captures videos with no problems and I use program called Golden Videos or Magix movie edit 12.

But when I put this NTSC EP cassette in, which is fine on TV, but on computer I get spliced picture and it's constantly freezing. Audio is fine no problem with that.

When I switch the source on software that it's from NTSC I get fluid picture that's not spliced but it's in Black and White.

So what can I do?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Picture is fine on tv because your VCR supports NTSC playback on PAL equipment.

The playback is in a format called PAL60 which is not PAL neither is it NTSC.

Your EasyCap probably does not support PAL60 - only later versions do such as EasyCap DC60+ and EzCap116. So if you want to capture this you need a capture device that supports PAL60.
    Quote Quote  
  3. PAL is 625 scan lines, 50 fields per second, with PAL encoded chroma
    NTSC is 525 scan lines, 59.94 fields per second, with NTSC encoded chroma
    PAL60 is 525 scan lines, 59.95 fields per second, with PAL encoded chroma

Your capture doesn't work at the PAL setting because it's expecting 625 scan lines and 50 fields per second. You get a black and white picture at the NTSC setting because it's expecting NTSC chroma, not PAL chroma. As DB83 pointed out, you need a capture device that can handle PAL60. Or you need a player that can output a true NTSC signal.
    Quote Quote  
  4. OK thanks for the info. Mine EasyCAP is DC60

I also tried connecting other VCR to that VCR and copy the cassette on another cassette in PAL and SP but when I afterwards played cassette on TV I got colored picture but with like 4 horizontal lines equally separated which kind of blink throughout the movie.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Lucky Starr View Post
    OK thanks for the info. Mine EasyCAP is DC60

I also tried connecting other VCR to that VCR and copy the cassette on another cassette in PAL and SP but when I afterwards played cassette on TV I got colored picture but with like 4 horizontal lines equally separated which kind of blink throughout the movie.
    If it was that easy, we would all do it.

The source VCR is outputing Pal60 since the tape is NTSC. The other VCR can only record in pure PAL - if it gets anything it does not understand then the signal it records is corrupted = your result.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Note there are many devices using the names EasyCap, EzCap, and other variations in an attempt to confuse buyers. This is the one you want: http://www.ezcap.tv/
    Quote Quote  
  7. Could I maybe solve it by connecting my VCR with video/ graphic card in my computer via S-Video Cable? Which program should I use then?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe I should stop answering you.

You have been told what you need to solve this. There are other options and they will cost you a whole lot more money. There is NO simple cable solution.

Now before you write here again, take a little time and search the forums for Pal60, capture ntsc with Pal etc etc.

And this has NOTHING to do with this tape being EP either
    Quote Quote  
  9. Well yeah it's because I can't figure out how this problem could not be solved by software rather then hardware but I guess it is what it is.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Note there are many devices using the names EasyCap, EzCap, and other variations in an attempt to confuse buyers. This is the one you want: http://www.ezcap.tv/
    And all of them are crap, from what I've seen/read to date.
    I have one of the fakes -- junk.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  11. I have bought a ntsc vcr 2nd hand recently (JVC SR-TS1U) that play EP tapes rather good (better than my jvc HR 8600MS) it's got a special feature for that (video stabilizer; correct vertical vibrations).If you're interested i'm in europe aswell > private message.
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote