VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    I'm noticing this lately, the screen is sometimes slightly too wide when reading the forums. That causes a horizontal scrollbar at bottom. This never used to happen, or at least only rarely.

I believe it's caused by graphics and quotes imbedded in forum posts, but haven't isolated it exactly. It doesn't always happen, like if the posts in the thread only contain text.

How much too wide? Not a lot, maybe 10%. So just a small adjustment of the control software should fix it OK.
    Last edited by JohnnyBob; 25th May 2011 at 21:41. Reason: improve grammar
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wide is relative. What resolution do you normally run at ? I have only seen it happen with very large images, but the new forum usually reduces them down by default (you can override this manually), so I haven't seen it happen in a very long time. I run 1680 x 1050 with no issues, and slightly lower again on my tablet, again with no issues.

Do you have an example thread ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    I use 1024x768 but it doesn't matter what resolution I run at. Properly designed flexible coding will autoadjust to fit the screen width. The fact that it doesn't means there are probably some fixed-width graphics included which are a little too wide. Or a table is being used which has some fixed-width sectors which need to be changed to flexible sectors. That's just a matter of sloppy programming.

Example thread:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/335123-Firefox-4-tabs-issue?p=2080502#post2080502

Here's a screenshot of what I see...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	VideoHelpscreentoowide.jpg
Views:	982
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	6978
    Last edited by JohnnyBob; 26th May 2011 at 04:54. Reason: insert graphic
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I will see if I can make the posted images a bit smaller(so you have to click on them for full size).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When I look at that thread using Firefox 4, I get no horizontal scroll bars. You could play around with the forum style using the option at the bottom of the menu to the left to see if that helps. The default layout is fixed width, but there are also 100% options that float the to fit within the browser. Maybe somethign got lost and adjusting the styles will get it back to what it should be.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you use a 1024 width you get scrollbars in some threads. And yep, it's very annoying to scroll to see everything.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Another trick to try is to use ctrl -. That is ctrl key and the - negative key together. It will shrink the screen. Ctrl + enlarges it.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your not alone ... I usually use WIN 7 but a friend brought over his memory cards from his Cell Phone ... his brother was messing with it and it crashed [his words] and he is hoping I'm savvy enuff to recover some pictures he don't want to lose.

So I rebooted and went into WIN XP instead and installed ... CardRecovery ... so far ... it is doing okay. It was installed in WIN 7 and the program ... stopped responding.

Anyways ... the program is running in the background ... finding pictures ... and so I went here to check out ... whats happening.

The website loaded with the fonts bigger than normal and not very pleasant to look at ... I fixed it by just ... doing a ... refresh.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyBob View Post
    I'm noticing this lately, the screen is sometimes slightly too wide when reading the forums. That causes a horizontal scrollbar at bottom. This never used to happen, or at least only rarely.

I believe it's caused by graphics and quotes imbedded in forum posts, but haven't isolated it exactly. It doesn't always happen, like if the posts in the thread only contain text.
    As you're using Firefox, you could override the page layout by adding some lines to userContent.css
    I think the location on Windows XP is:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\Chrome
    If there's a file called userContent-example.css in that directory, you need to rename it to userContent.css

Adding these lines reduces the padding of the quote text box and image attachments box (for this site only):
    Code:
    @-moz-document url(https://forum.videohelp.com/),url-prefix(https://forum.videohelp.com/) {
        .postcontent { padding: 5px 0px !important; }
        .attachments { margin: 20px 5px !important; }
        .bbcode_container { margin: 5px !important; }
        .bbcode_quote { margin: 0px 0px 18px !important; }
    }
    I don't have much experience with CSS - there may be better ways to do this. Also, it might break the site layout in some way, but it seems to work ok as far as I can tell and allows the browser window to be reduced in width a bit.

EDIT: I forgot to add - after modifying userContent.css, Firefox needs to be restarted for it to reread userContent.css and apply the changes to the forum layout.
    - make sure that all Firefox windows (including any related FF windows like 'Downloads') are closed before restarting Firefox
    Last edited by intracube; 26th May 2011 at 09:47.
    Quote Quote  
  10. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I will see if I can make the posted images a bit smaller(so you have to click on them for full size).
    Thanks. I assume it's a work in progress, so I'll check back tomorrow.

I tried Guns1inger's suggestion but... I'm getting different "style" options in the lower left column depending on which thread or page I'm viewing. In one case there are a couple of radio buttons, a dropdown list, and a Change button. In the other case just a dropdown list. I tried clearing my cache but same thing...
    Name:  VideoHelpStyle100pct.jpg
Views: 2592
Size:  9.2 KB Name:  VideoHelpStyleFixed.jpg
Views: 2527
Size:  5.3 KB
    After playing around a little, switching between Fixed and 100%, I can't make much sense of it. It changes depending on which thread I'm reading. 100% makes the whole screen a bit narrower, but then it reverts to Fixed when certain threads are opened for reading.
    Last edited by JohnnyBob; 26th May 2011 at 09:52.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No scrollbars now?

Test image:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	6997  

Quote Quote  
  12. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    There's no horizontal scrollbar in this thread with Firefox 3.6.17 or Internet Explorer 8 at 1024x768 resolution.

IE8 also now shows the example thread above without a horizontal scrollbar. (don't know about before, didn't try it)

There's still a horizontal scrollbar in the example thread above with Firefox 3.6.17, but it's very close, probably within 1-2 pixels of the cutoff point...

before...

Name:	VideoHelpscreentoowide.jpg
Views:	921
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	7000

after...

Name:	VideoHelpscreentoowide2.jpg
Views:	953
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	7001

Obviously there's a difference between browsers. I'll also look at it with Firefox 4.0.1 and report below (must close FF3.6.17 first)...

-------------------

P.S. Like Internet Explorer 8, Firefox 4.0.1 shows no horizontal scroll bar in this thread nor in the example thread above. So Firefox 3.6.17 is the culprit! Thus I suppose if you want to keep the Firefox 3.6.x folks happy, you might shave off another 1-2 pixels from the width. I have Chrome and Opera available too but must install them first, then will report further below...later...

---------------------

P.P.S. Opera 11.11 is like IE8 and FF4.0.1, no horizontal scroll bar in this thread nor in the example thread above. That's with the Default Site layout Style selected in each case. Didn't mention it, but the above tests with FF3.6.17 were also with the Default Style.

Guns1linger's suggestion to try the 100% Style now works to remove the horizontal scrollbar at the example site above with FF3.6.17. However I like the looks of the Default Style because it uses all of the screen width. The 100% Style leaves some unused space at left and right screen margins.

The site layout Style setting faked me out. I assumed it would be global for the website, but it's not. It's specific to each thread where it's set. Of course it would be too much trouble to reset it each time a new thread is viewed.

(had some problems with Chrome so won't report about it here)
    Last edited by JohnnyBob; 27th May 2011 at 04:32.
    Quote Quote  
  13. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    GoogleChrome 11.0.696.71 behaves like Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702, Firefox 4.0.1, and Opera 11.11 at 1024x768 screen resolution. There's no horizontal scrollbar now with the Default style setting in this thread, the above example thread, and another test thread I've been checking. So only my Firefox 3.6.17 still has a horizontal scrollbar (probably 1-2 pixels shy of the cutoff point)...

Name:	VideoHelpscreentoowide2.jpg
Views:	917
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	7029
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It wont be perfect in all threads because some images aren't thumbnails.
    Quote Quote  
  15. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    It wont be perfect in all threads because some images aren't thumbnails.
    Best to avoid perfection lest ye make the gods jealous.

Looks like you shaved off the extra 1-2 pixels because Firefox 3.6.17 is now also coming in clean - no horizontal scrollbar at the formerly affected example/test threads.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote