VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would like to be able to use video editing software and edit ripped blu-rays and .MKV's (or their demuxed tracks which are usually .h264 and .dts) Is there any software out there able to do this? I tried Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 to no avail and it doesn't look like Avid's products support it either. Is there software out there that can do this? if not then what is the best course of action for recoding to an editable format?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What do you mean by editing? Are you just cutting the files? Try avidemux.

If you want to do fades and wipes and graphics and that sort I"m afraid I can't help out in that area.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most Adobe and AVID products are targeted to original production rather than "repurpose" nerds.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks edDV, that really wasn't very helpful. All I want to do is delete scenes and maybe mute certain times. avidemux doesn't have a timeline and have found it to be really buggy and crash a lot with .mkv and large files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by techdls View Post
    Thanks edDV, that really wasn't very helpful. All I want to do is delete scenes and maybe mute certain times. avidemux doesn't have a timeline and have found it to be really buggy and crash a lot with .mkv and large files.
    So what does this have do do with Adobe and Avid?

Did they ever suggest this is what their software will do?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe, if you repackage your mkv files into a more professional format - m2ts, perhaps, you might get a professional tool to work with them.

MKV is an end user playback format only. It was never designed to be edited or as an intermediate package, so very little edits or works nicely with it.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Most Adobe and AVID products are targeted to original production rather than "repurpose" nerds.
    Thank you, edDV for the concise wording of a message I've been trying to communicate for years in this forum. Too few people seem to understand the difference between production-level video and end-stage distribution video. A lot of production-oriented NLE software has been maligned and cursed by folks who tried to use the wrong tool for the job.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    Maybe, if you repackage your mkv files into a more professional format - m2ts, perhaps, you might get a professional tool to work with them.

MKV is an end user playback format only. It was never designed to be edited or as an intermediate package, so very little edits or works nicely with it.
    Thanks for confirming what I always suspected.

It will be great, if you could suggest someway out for converting MKV files to some other format, edit the file and reconvert to MKV. I used MKVTools to extract audio and video, but failed to reassemble them back!

I am non-technical and complicated tools confuse me. I use free tools like FormatFactory 2.6 it allows conversions. I was never able to use Windows Movie Maker. Please appreciate my limitations.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    tsmuxer and tsmuxergui can be used to re-assemble them into an m2ts container, Vegas might be happier with.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote