VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. DVDx 4.0 is an audio/video encoder as well as a powerful DVD copier. You can read DVDs and quiet any audio or video files and encode them to quiet any popular video formats:
    • VCD/CVD/SVCD/DVD
    • Xvid/Divx
    • MPEG-4
    • H.264/AVC
    • 3G2/3GP
    • QuickTime
    • iPod
    • Sony PSP
    • Flash Video
    • Ogg
    • WebM (Google's VP8/Vorbis)
    • AC.3
    • WAV
    • MP3
    • MP4/AAC
    • Lossless Audio PCM
    • Vorbis

DVDx 4.0 is very easy to use: open a DVD or file in the player, play it with audio/subtitle of your choice ; encode a short preview and play it to ensure it's what you expect, and then start the whole encoding job which can take about one hour but you're quiet sure to get a very good result!

DVDx 4.0 is based on the most popular and powerful encoders: x264, MEncoder and FFmpeg. It's open-source code is written for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X platforms.

DVDx 4.0 makes all good choices for you: popular video and audio codecs and appropiate settings (for fair quality, high quality or smaller size files) but you can tune the encoder with your own preferred settings.

New in 4.0.0.2 release: first Mac OS X release and first Debian package for Linux

Features:
    - added Google/On2's VP8 video codec and WebM (HTML5 video) format for file input

Code:
    - set Linux paths to use ffmpeg-dvdx4 build and MPlayer/Mencoder installed pakages
    - set Mac OS X engine paths to MacPorts (/opt/local/bin)
    - cosmetics (reduce size of encoding progess windows)

Build:
    - set Debian package to install MPlayer/MEncoder distro packages if not installed
    - install libdvdcss2 package (Linux users) to rip encrypted DVD (libdvdcss2_1.2.10-0.4_i386.deb)
    - Qt framework libraries updated to 4.7.3
    - all platforms buildable: Windows, Linux and Mac OS X
    - released binaries for Windows (x86), Linux (i386), Mac OS X (x86_64)

Engines:
    - use MEncoder/MPlayer distro (upgrade to Ubuntu 11.04 recommended)
    - new FFmpeg build on Windows and Linux (r30023)
    - update FFmpeg on Mac OS X (0.6.2 MacPorts)
    - update MEncoder/MPlayer on Mac OS X (1.0rc4-4.2.1 MacPorts)
    - update MediaInfo to 0.7.44 (all platforms)

Go to trhe download page...

Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dvdx4-macosx.jpg
Views:	4628
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	6971  

Quote Quote  
  2. New 4.0.0.3 release provides complete error-free installer and corrected QuickTime profiles to ensure current Apple® QuickTime 7 player compliance ; it improves DVD loading, VP8/WebM playing/encoding, H.264/MKV playback and comes with updated FFMpeg/MEncoder engines.

Download DVDx 4.0: http://www.labdv.com/dvdx/download.php
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does DVDx 4 require Mac OS X 10.6 perhaps? 'Cause it isn't working for me on 10.5; says the binaries are no good.
    Quote Quote  
  4. What Mac have you got?

DVDx 4.0 binaries are Intel x86 64 bits.

Has the installation completed without errors?

What is the exact message? When?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Starbuck2010 View Post
    What Mac have you got?
    This was on a 2008 Mac Pro, 2x 2.8 GHz quad-core Intel Xeon (Harpertown/Penryn), 10 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.5.8

Originally Posted by Starbuck2010
    Has the installation completed without errors?
    v4.0.0.3 and v4.0.0.4 installed without errors.

What is the exact message? When?
    Launch message:
    Player and encoder are NOT ready.
    You must check encoder engine paths and status.
    Eventually you will have to re-install DVDx 4.0
    - FFmpeg is NOT ready
    - FFprobe is NOT ready
    - MEncoder is NOT ready
    - MPlayer is NOT ready
    - MediaInfo is ready

And indeed the binaries (except MediaInfo) do not work:
    dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000022
    Trace/BPT trap

Thanks.
    Last edited by Case; 20th Jun 2011 at 03:40.
    Quote Quote  
  6. This is an important issue which solution maight be valuable for evry Mac user. However I was convinced I've fixed it.

I don't mind, we can try to solve it together.

For this, I need you to open a terminal and run this command for every binary (maybe ffmpeg and mplayer will be enough):
    $ otool -L /opt/dvdx4/bin/ffmpeg

It will tell us every dynamic library required, some .dyLib files which we should find from the installers (some in /opt/dvdx4/lib, some in /usr/lib).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Code:
    -bash: otool: command not found
    It seems I don't have otool on my system. Should that be part of a default Leopard install, or is that an Xcode thingy?
    Quote Quote  
  8. You're right, otool is part of Xcode.

I've attached it in a Zip file, I guess it will work on your system.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've attached it in a Zip file, I guess it will work on your system.
    I'm afraid it doesn't work on my system...
    Code:
    $ /usr/bin/otool -L /opt/dvdx4/bin/ffmpeg 
    Trace/BPT trap
    Quote Quote  
  10. I've googled this issue and it seems current but no simple solution. Sometime, upgrading from 10.5.6 to 10.5.8 solves magically this issue so I think it could be a system library which is missing.

otool and quite all binary uses /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

So I've attached my libSystem.B.dylib which I don't recommend to replace yours.

Just unzip libSystem.B.dylib in /opt/dvdx4/lib

Then in terminal do:
    Code:
    $ export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/dvdx4/lib:$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
    If it works for you, it may provide a solution for bundling DVDx 4 package.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just unzip libSystem.B.dylib in /opt/dvdx4/lib

Unfortunately, that didn't change the result.
    Code:
    Trace/BPT trap
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just installed Xcode 3.1.3 (Leopard) to get the proper version tools. I hope the following output helps.
    Code:
    /opt/dvdx4/bin/ffmpeg:
    	/opt/dvdx4/lib/libvorbisenc.2.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0, current version 3.6.0)
    	/opt/dvdx4/lib/libvorbis.0.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0, current version 5.3.0)
    	/opt/dvdx4/lib/libogg.0.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 7.0.0)
    	/opt/dvdx4/lib/libtheoraenc.1.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0, current version 3.2.0)
    	/opt/dvdx4/lib/libtheoradec.1.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0, current version 3.4.0)
    	/opt/dvdx4/lib/libopencore-amrwb.0.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.2.0)
    	/opt/dvdx4/lib/libopencore-amrnb.0.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.2.0)
    	/opt/dvdx4/lib/libmp3lame.0.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
    	/opt/dvdx4/lib/libfaac.0.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
    	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 125.2.10)
    	/usr/lib/libbz2.1.0.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.5)
    	/usr/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.2.3)
    Quote Quote  
  13. just an advice to 04Starbuck2010, forget these stupid compiles from macports and cie
    You have to give a static library of every tool you provide (it's a nightmare to try to deal with every system/user interaction/packager choices)

To case: ffmpeg is a library and a resulting tool ("a wrapper for the library"), you can compile it as "self dependence" or not.
    You can include other libraries like "theora" (to extent ffmpeg's features), each external library can be compile as "self dependence" or not

Here you have external libraries (dylib=dynamic librairies) and an ffmpeg tool as a dynamic receiver ("wrapper")
    All theses dependencies are not handle-able (…this word exists in english? )

Back to 04Starbuck2010, compile each library (theora and cie) as static, then compile ffmpeg in static mode too.
    otool -L will confirm the static tool to you (except some common libraries from system)

eg of a static ffmpeg tool, compile from/for intel SnowLeo only:
    Code:
    /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg:
    	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 125.2.10)
    	/usr/lib/libbz2.1.0.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.5)
    eg of a static ffmpeg tool, compile for Tiger (both intel & ppc):
    Code:
    […]/Library/Application Support/MovieConverter/ffmpeg (architecture ppc):
    	/usr/lib/libbz2.1.0.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.3)
    	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 88.1.12)
    […]/Library/Application Support/MovieConverter/ffmpeg (architecture i386):
    	/usr/lib/libbz2.1.0.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.3)
    	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 88.3.10)
    (you will notice that minimum dylib for Tiger are earlier than dylib required by the Snow Leopard compile

bye
    Last edited by Herve; 22nd Jun 2011 at 08:29.
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  14. @Case
    1/ could you tell me if all /opt/dvdx4/lib are present on your system (DVDx 4 package should have installed them there)?
    2/ if /usr/lib ones are there (Xcode may have installed them)?
    3/ what is the error message from ffmpeg now?

@Herve
    ffmpeg is compiled with --enable-static --disable-shared from Git (not MacPorts) with
    Code:
    ./configure --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-nonfree --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libfaac --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-runtime-cpudetect --disable-debug --enable-pic --disable-ffserver --enable-static --disable-shared --extra-version=dvdx4 --prefix=/opt/dvdx4
    I have libtheora*.a, libopencore*.a, libvorbis.a, libogg.a, libmpl3lame.a in my include (/opt/dvdx4/lib) with libvpx.a lixvidcore.a etc but as you can see it links to dyLibs for these.

BTW, it still need to link some stdc++ libs (libSystem.B.dylib, libbz2.1.0.dylib, libz.1.dylib). I don't find them as static in the MacOSX SDK.

I guess my mistake was that I've also to include 3 or 4 Xcode stdc++ libs in my PackageMaker bundle (with changing their location or with noinstall if detected on target system).

Do you know if and how I could get rid of these Xcode /usr/lib stuff?
    Last edited by Starbuck2010; 22nd Jun 2011 at 09:46.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1/ could you tell me if all /opt/dvdx4/lib are present on your system (DVDx 4 package should have installed them there)?
    2/ if /usr/lib ones are there (Xcode may have installed them)?
    3/ what is the error message from ffmpeg now?
    1/
    libvorbisenc.2.dylib: not in /opt/dvdx4/lib, but in /opt/local/lib/libvorbisenc.2.dylib
    libvorbis.0.dylib: not in /opt/dvdx4/lib, but in /opt/local/lib/libvorbis.0.dylib
    libogg.0.dylib: not in /opt/dvdx4/lib, but in /opt/local/lib/libogg.0.dylib
    libtheoraenc.1.dylib: /opt/dvdx4/lib/libtheoraenc.1.dylib
    libtheoradec.1.dylib: /opt/dvdx4/lib/libtheoradec.1.dylib
    libopencore-amrwb.0.dylib: /opt/dvdx4/lib/libopencore-amrwb.0.dylib
    libopencore-amrnb.0.dylib: /opt/dvdx4/lib/libopencore-amrnb.0.dylib
    libmp3lame.0.dylib: /opt/dvdx4/lib/libmp3lame.0.dylib
    libfaac.0.dylib: not in /opt/dvdx4/lib, but in /opt/local/lib/libfaac.0.dylib

2/
    libSystem.B.dylib: not in /usr/lib, but in /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    libbz2.1.0.dylib: not in /usr/lib; not found anywhere
    libz.1.dylib: not in /usr/lib, but in /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.9.sdk/usr/lib/libz.1.dylib

3/
    $ /opt/dvdx4/bin/ffmpeg -i ~/Desktop/DOLBY_CITY.VOB
    Trace/BPT trap
    Quote Quote  
  16. 1/ should not be possible, I've just looked back at DVDx 4.0 Open Edition.mpkg and there is /opt/dvdx4/lib content.

So please looked at your package content: copy DVDx 4.0 Open Edition.mpkg on your disk, right-click Display package content..., navigate to Contents/Packages, you'll see opt.pkg, display its content and double-click Archive.pax.gz, it will unarchive opt folder in place, you'd find /opt/dvdx4/lib content. Then you can re-install and check /opt/dvdx4/lib.

2/ correct, libbz2.1.0.dylib is found in 10.6 SDK. I've attached it in Zip archive, please try on your 10.5 system, I guess it works.

So copy libSystem.B.dylib, libbz*.dylib, libz.1.dylib in /usr/lib

Better result?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1/ should not be possible
    I'm sorry. For my previous post, I used the Finder's Find File command to verify the list, and apparently that doesn't return symbolic links as search results. I've now re-installed and rechecked manually:
    1/
    /opt/dvdx4/lib/libvorbisenc.2.dylib: --- symbolic link to libvorbisenc.2.0.6.dylib
    /opt/dvdx4/lib/libvorbis.0.dylib: --- symbolic link to libvorbis.0.4.3.dylib
    /opt/dvdx4/lib/libogg.0.dylib: --- symbolic link to libogg.0.6.0.dylib
    /opt/dvdx4/lib/libtheoraenc.1.dylib: --- file present
    /opt/dvdx4/lib/libtheoradec.1.dylib: --- file present
    /opt/dvdx4/lib/libopencore-amrwb.0.dylib: --- file present
    /opt/dvdx4/lib/libopencore-amrnb.0.dylib: --- file present
    /opt/dvdx4/lib/libmp3lame.0.dylib: --- file present
    /opt/dvdx4/lib/libfaac.0.dylib: --- symbolic link to libfaac.0.0.0.dylib

2/
    /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib --- file present
    /usr/lib/libbz2.1.0.dylibb --- symbolic link to libbz2.1.0.5.dylib
    /usr/lib/libz.1.dylib --- symbolic link to libz.1.2.3.dylib

I've attached it in Zip archive
    I didn't see any attachment to your post?

Better result?
    Not really. Same as before.
    Binaries:
    Code:
    $ /opt/dvdx4/bin/ffmpeg -version
    Trace/BPT trap
    Application launch:
    Player and encoder are NOT ready.
    You must check encoder engine paths and status.
    Eventually you will have to re-install DVDx 4.0
    - FFmpeg is NOT ready
    - FFprobe is NOT ready
    - MEncoder is NOT ready
    - MPlayer is NOT ready
    - MediaInfo is ready
    Last edited by Case; 23rd Jun 2011 at 03:23.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Starbuck2010 View Post
    @Herve
    ffmpeg is compiled with --enable-static --disable-shared from Git (not MacPorts) with
    ok but your dependencies (external lib) are not static (and you included synamic lib in a static ffmpeg compile )

I have libtheora*.a, libopencore*.a, libvorbis.a, libogg.a, libmpl3lame.a in my include (/opt/dvdx4/lib) with libvpx.a lixvidcore.a etc but as you can see it links to dyLibs for these.
    defaut opt tools are dynamic (and not static)
    you have to compile every lib by yourself (to avoid shared lib)

BTW, it still need to link some stdc++ libs (libSystem.B.dylib, libbz2.1.0.dylib, libz.1.dylib). I don't find them as static in the MacOSX SDK.
    =standard system lib = not important (these lib are required by the system, so every user has them )

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  19. @Case
    I forgot the attachement but seems you've found libbz2 so no need.

I guess I understand what happens.

To avoid dyLib issue, binaries should be compiled with -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 which is the case for DVDx 4 but not for ffmpeg, and I don't know for MPlayer.

1/ So can you try mplayer from the command line?
    2/ I gona try to compile ffmpeg with -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 and I'll upload here.

@Herve
    Thanks, I'll try to recompile the libs with --disable-shared and recompile ffmpeg then.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So can you try mplayer from the command line?
    Code:
    $ /opt/local/bin/mplayer ~/Movies/Cosmological_Fantasia.mp4
    Trace/BPT trap
    Quote Quote