VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Greetings,

I know there are many experienced people on this forum who can offer suggestions on my VHS to Hard Drive capture goal.

I am trying to set up a procedure to copy about 100 VHS tapes that contain family videos to my computer's hard drive. I currently have a JVC VCR with TBC and a Elite BVP4+ connected to a JVC DR-M10 DVD recorder. I used this set up a few years back to convert several VHS Tapes to DVD.

At the time I used programs like DVD Decrypter, Womble, and Ulead DVD Workshop to edit and then re-author the edited video back to DVD's. I was very pleased with the finished quality of video.

Now with the easy availability of Massive (1TB & Up) Hard drives, I am considering capturing more of my VHS tapes but this time I think I want to keep all of the captured video on a hard drive as the final storage location. This will allow for easy indexing of video clips by Year, Month, Date that the clips were originally taken as well as allowing for some descriptive file names like “Christmas Morning at Grandma’s, etc….)

I have looked at several forums to see if others are doing this Hard Drive storage of video’s. Surprisingly, I do not see any discussion on this "Hard Drive Storage" method.

So, my question is, what (if anything) is wrong if I use my current setup to capture VHS Video to re-usable RW DVD's using the JVC DR-M10. Then rip those DVD's to my hard drive with a program like "DVDFab". Then edit the ripped video files with "Womble MPEG-VCR" and saving the edited files to my hard drive as MPEG-2 files. I do not plan on keeping any of the captured video on DVD’s, the hard drive version of video would be my final copy.

I know that there are other "Capture Devices" and capture programs available to capture directly to my hard drive. However, for simplicities sake, I think using the above method may prove to be the fastest for me.

Plus, the saved files could be authored to a DVD at any future date and should be of the same quality as the JVC DR-M10 recorded in the first place.

Please post you thoughts / comments about this idea.

Thanks In Advance,
    -Hobbster-

NTSC
    I Always Record DVD's in "2 Hr Video Mode"
    Editing with Windows 7

Last edited by hobbster; 23rd May 2011 at 18:03. Reason: Additional Information
    Quote Quote  
  2. I have just finished a 7 year vhs to dvd project the learning curve for computer captured always eluded me and I stuck with a JVC M100S dvd recorder, simple.

Use dvd-rw and take them to the cpmputer and edit. I used TMPG products.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I fail to understand why anyone would record VHS directly to MPEG/DVD. VHs has noise, saturation and luma level problems, etc., etc., that have to be corrected with a combination of hardware (proc amps, TBC) and software filters. Once that noisy VHS is digitized into MPEG, it's a tough grind to get rid of the disturbances. Capture to your PC in huffyuv or uncompressed AVI, then clean the VHS gunk before rendering to DVD. You can always burn the AVI's to disk for archiving.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    I fail to understand why anyone would record VHS directly to MPEG/DVD. VHs has noise, saturation and luma level problems, etc., etc.
    Because my tapes, VCR and capture card are perfect in every way with no noise, saturation or luma level problems....because beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Because my tapes, VCR and capture card are perfect in every way with no noise, saturation or luma level problems....because beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    I'm in total agreement with the last 9 words.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I use a Sony 515 dvd dual recorder, so easy, just put a dvd in & a vhs & push one button. It also writes to dual layer disks.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I used to sell Insurance door to door in South London (& yes I am still alive to tell the tale) and the awful TV pictures I used to see in peoples homes.

It is amazing what differences people see and will tollerate, its also relevant how much time is available to get the project finished.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote