VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi folks,

Is there any such thing as a raw capture?, when capturing video. I would imagine it takes some decent hardware to it correctly.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by VHSMadness View Post
    Hi folks,

Is there any such thing as a raw capture?, when capturing video. I would imagine it takes some decent hardware to it correctly.

Thanks.
    Uncompressed SD capture is possible with a single drive on the fast end but is traditionally done with a 2 disk RAID 0. This is typical for a pro setup. They also capture 10 bit luma rather than consumer 8 bit.

Hobbyists are more likely to use a lossless (e.g. huffyuv) or lossy (DV or MPeg2) codec instead of RAID.

HD uncompressed capture would take more drives in the RAID.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Hi folks,

Thanks.
    Uncompressed SD capture is possible with a single drive on the fast end but is traditionally done with a 2 disk RAID 0. This is typical for a pro setup. They also capture 10 bit luma rather than consumer 8 bit.

Hobbyists are more likely to use a lossless (e.g. huffyuv) or lossy (DV or MPeg2) codec instead of RAID.
    Thank you kindly for your answer. Are you aware of any good free/paid software which I can use to capture VHS using the huffyuv codec. I use magix movied edit pro plus, and the captures are ok, but I feel other software could do a better job.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Hi folks,

Thanks.

Thank you kindly for your answer. Are you aware of any good free/paid software which I can use to capture VHS using the huffyuv codec. I use magix movied edit pro plus, and the captures are ok, but I feel other software could do a better job.

Cheers.
    What is your capture device?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Hi folks,

Thanks.

Cheers.
    What is your capture device?
    I use a KWORLD 2800D USB 2.0 capture device.

http://uk.kworld-global.com/main/prod_in.aspx?mnuid=1335&modid=12&fcid=8&pcid=236&ifid...243&prodid=104

it can capture up to PAL: 720 x 576 @ 25 FPS

Click image for larger version

Name:	format.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	6953

As you can see from the screen the capture stream option only allows me one selection (the YUY2). It only allows this regardless of the codecs I install, or capture software. I think it must be a limitation of the usb dongle. I would like to be able to try other compression codecs for capture. As I say I may need new hardware.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You need better hardware.
    (Not necessarily something "new" -- just better.)
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try Virtualdub + huffyuv codec and see if it works. If you get dropped frames then monitor CPU perfomance in task manager. The capture disk should be a second internal SATA drive (separate from OS drive) or an external eSATA drive.

It is important to keep the capture drive defragmented.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    You need better hardware.
    (Not necessarily something "new" -- just better.)
    Thats what i meant
    Quote Quote  
  9. YUY2 is about as close to analog video as you can get from a capture card. Uncompressed 720x576 YUY2 is probably too much for your hard drive. HuffYUV is a good choice of compression codecs because it is lossless (the YUY2 output from HuffYUV is exactly the same as the YUY2 that went in), fast enough for even modest processors, and compresses enough that disk I/O won't become a bottleneck. After capturing you'll probably want to filter and convert to a more compressed format like MPEG 2 for DVD.

But capturing with VirtualDub won't get you better quality than your current software unless there is some problem with that software (dropping frames, etc.). VirtualDub may give you a little more control over some of the capture device -- like the video proc amp, noise reduction filters, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    As you can see from the screen the capture stream option only allows me one selection (the YUY2). It only allows this regardless of the codecs I install, or capture software.
    You're looking in the wrong place. What you posted a screenshot of is one of the hardware's own DirectShow pages. You want to be looking for your installed codecs in the software's menus.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    As you can see from the screen the capture stream option only allows me one selection (the YUY2). It only allows this regardless of the codecs I install, or capture software.
    You're looking in the wrong place. What you posted a screenshot of is one of the hardware's own DirectShow pages. You want to be looking for your installed codecs in the software's menus.
    Hi there,

Thats my point - there is no where else to change the input video stream codec. Thats the only box that is there, and you can only pick YUY2. As I mentioned I think i need some new better hardware.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by VHSMadness View Post
    there is no where else to change the input video stream codec. Thats the only box that is there, and you can only pick YUY2.
    Try capturing with VirtualDub.
    Quote Quote