VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd like to have the ability to remotely watch a presenter (speaker), speaking from his web cam, and me having the ability to capture/record him (and where he needs little or no download software on his end).
    Can you help me? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If it is both audio and video that you want, any screen recorder will work. If it just the audio that you want, any audio recorder will work. Neither scenarios will require anything added to the presenter's end.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you saying I get screen capture for my pc?
    How do I see the presenter's webcam?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just open and view it as you normally would. The only extra thing you'd be doing would be capturing the window/screen with a capture program like Camstudio or Fraps. (There are others listed in the Tools section, to the left.)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "Just open and view it" How do I "just open and view" the presenter's live remote webcam?
    Quote Quote  
  6. The OP wants to "remotely watch a presenter". Are we assuming he wants to watch the presenter on his computer or some other remote site like a web site?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On my computer preferably.
    But I want to know about the web site option too, please.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's illegal to record live voice.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    It's illegal to record live voice.
    No, it's illegal to record a private conversation without the consent of the parties involved. And a webcast has no expectation of privacy, so it would be legal to record/capture the broadcast.

Nonlawyer spokeperson.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The OP didn't specifically say it was a public webcast, curiously. I thought he wanted to use someones webcam as a spycam. Or peepcam.

At best, this could be considered a security camera, and CCTV's cannot record sound. The reason being is that it's pretty easy to trap someone into saying something foolish.
    Last edited by budwzr; 24th May 2011 at 01:48.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The OP didn't specifically say it was a public webcast, curiously. I thought he wanted to use someones webcam as a spycam. Or peepcam.

At best, this could be considered a security camera, and CCTV's cannot record sound. The reason being is that it's pretty easy to trap someone into saying something foolish.
    I re-read his post - I see what you mean. I will leave it up to the OP to clarify his questions.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I thought he wanted to use someones webcam as a spycam. Or peepcam.
    That's what it seemed to me.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll try to clarify. I'd like to have the ability to remotely record a presenter (speaker), speaking from his web cam, privately, simultaneously while I'm viewing the speaker (with everyone involved consent) and hopefully with very little software to download.

All the peep cam and illegal suggestions, in this thread are frankly, beside the point, and off point. I'm just trying to find info for a legitimate solution to recording in a quality way remotely.
    Quote Quote  
  14. This word you use: remotely, is confusing most of us. If you sit in front of your computer and record what you see, it will not be remotely. If you are having a difficult time expressing yourself because you do not have a good command of English it is not our fault.
    Last edited by TreeTops; 26th May 2011 at 19:13.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the speaker/presenter wants you to view his/her broadcast then he/she would provide you with the appropiate web address.

Without that address you simply can not see let alone record anything
    Quote Quote  
  16. chrisj, in simple terms, do you want to record a two-way video conversation ("video chat") between yourself and someone at another location, and record it to *your* computer?

[Aside to TreeTops from Oregon: Your use of "and and" didn't help your expressing yourself either. I doubt that's "a good command of English," even in Oregon. ]
    Quote Quote  
  17. Got me Cobra. I fixed it. Thanks for letting me know.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
    All the peep cam and illegal suggestions, in this thread are frankly, beside the point, and off point. I'm just trying to find info for a legitimate solution to recording in a quality way remotely.
    No, they're not beside the point. You didn't properly define your question, so many people here were concerned that you were trying to "remotely" (as you put it) record your wife or your boss or whoever at their webcams without their permissions, for your viewing "pleasures".

I didn't get that drift on my first read, so I suggested a screen recorder. A program like Camstudio, or even Fraps will record the video shown on YOUR computer while you watch it. There is no "remote" to it. Providing the presenter is okay with the presentation being recorded, this way is legitimate.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "Properly define my question"?
    I'm just surprised that people assume the worst.
    I stated I wanted to record a "speaker". I also said "presenter".
    Why would someone think it's a "recording of my wife or boss"?
    My point is, why the negative spin?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, for one, typing little notes to each other is one of the worst ways to communicate (case in point).
    Keep trying and someone will eventually understand. They're only trying to videoHELP.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
    I'd like to have the ability to remotely watch a presenter (speaker), speaking from his web cam, and me having the ability to capture/record him (and where he needs little or no download software on his end).
    Can you help me? Thanks
    I guess after Michael Jackson and the Catholic priests, stuff like this starts to set off alarms in people. Don't take it personal, just clarify. Getting all wigged out just looks more suspicious.
    Quote Quote  
  22. CobraPilot sez:
    chrisj, in simple terms, do you want to record a two-way video conversation ("video chat") between yourself and someone at another location, and record it to *your* computer?
    chrisj, still waiting for an answer to the above question, which was designed to "cut to the chase" and stop all the stuff to which you object.

Yes or no?

Once we have that, maybe we can (as zoobie so wonderfully put it) videoHELP you!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Maybe he really doesn't know what he wants. His inability to answer our questions seems to have stumped him.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes I want to record a two-way video conversation ("video chat") between myself and someone at another location, and record it to *my* computer, but I only want to record the other person, not my part of the "video chat".
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
    yes I want to record a two-way video conversation ("video chat") between myself and someone at another location, and record it to *my* computer, but I only want to record the other person, not my part of the "video chat".

When you have a video chat, the other person is displayed in a window on your computer. And you are displayed in a window on the other person's computer. Is that what you want to record on your computer? The other person displayed on your computer? If so , use screen capture software e.g. camstudio, camtasia, etc... I'm sure there are some others..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Anything transmitted over the internet in real time is going to be poor quality, unless special hardware is in place, like the Roku box and Netflix, which has buffering.
    Quote Quote