VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi all

I've finally made the jump from SD to HD. I had real fun using my Panasonic GS200EB IEE1394 captured and edited using videowave (2001 edition) and converted to Vob using Nero 7 and authored using Imgburn (both dvd 5 and dvd 9)

Now i have a Canon Legria M306 and a 32 GB SD card filled to the brim with .MTS files

A) whats the best program to convert MTS to MKV
    B) whats the best program to convert MTS to make Blu-ray discs to play in a home video player
    C) what format offers the best compression and quality MP4 or MKV if you are convering from MTS files
    D) is my a Dell XPS M1710 notebook (core 2 duo T7600, 2 GB Ram, 512mb Nvidia 7950 GTX) have enough power to handle HD conversion
    E) are 25GB Verbatim BDR more relliable than 50GB ones and do you still use Imgburn to create a layer break

Sorry for the questions, I know everything about SD conversion (VHS transfer, Dual Layer DVD burning, DIVx)

But nothing on HD authoring, converting and burning
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    There is not best solution as it depends on tons of stuff like if you want simple software, configure everything, price, etc

A) Mkvmerge might work directly. No reconversion. If you want to shrink use handbrake or freemake video converter and convert to mkv/mp4 with h264 video.
    B) multiavchd. free. no reconversion.
    C) mp4 and mkv are just containers. Use h264 video for best compression and quality.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Many thanks for the prompt response, i know the programs you listed there are Free , Can you recommend a top quality program thats worth paying for that will do all the tasks listed

I'm running windows XP Performance edition with service pack 2

thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I only use free software.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Hi

Thanks again for the response, I've been getting to grips with the programs you mentioned here, but in the back of my mind i keep thinking that a paid program would be better because companies have millions to spend on R&D for programs (Cyberlink power director 9 or Nero 10) i don't mind paying £80-£150 after all these a precious recordings of my family and relatives and you want the ultimate conversion,editing,authoring

Would a paid products offer much better quality efficient job
    Quote Quote