VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    ...you know, the number of posts made in the forums by each author/member. If I remember correctly, it displayed automatically or could be found somewhere. Now I can't find it anywhere, nor any relevant setting to force it to be displayed.

Maybe that relates to another recent change to forum profile settings: title. I used to have my title set to Roadrunner, then it disappeared, and I had to re-enter it in my settings. So it seems the the forum system has arbitrarily dropped certain old settings (cause unknown). Or... I've changed browsers recently, could that be the cause? Now running Firefox 3.6.17, or sometimes Firefox 4.0.1_portable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The post count is in the mouse-over (hover) on the magnifying glass below the user info on the left side.
    Quote Quote  
  3. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Case View Post
    The post count is in the mouse-over (hover) on the magnifying glass below the user info on the left side.
    Thanks. I would never have found it under those strange little heiroglyphics. Why do they make it a mystery to find? Why not just print it in plain text, in open view, for everyone to see automatically? It wouldn't cause a significantly larger panel for the user info at the left.

P.S. I see now why the title maybe disappeared(???). It does not appear automatically in the blank space when editing profile, so it might need to be retyped each time that any trivial profile change is made. Surely it should stick until changed specifically!?
    Last edited by JohnnyBob; 22nd May 2011 at 11:15.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    board was updated and reset the titles in the DB
    postcounts are for teens concerned with their reputation which is retarded and has nothing to do with knowledge, IMO
    Last edited by zoobie; 22nd May 2011 at 12:24.
    Quote Quote  
  5. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by zoobie View Post
    board was updated and reset the titles in the DB
    That explains it.

Originally Posted by zoobie
    postcounts are for teens concerned with their reputation which is retarded and has nothing to do with knowledge, IMO
    I'm definitely not a teen (you can reverse the digits!), and doubt that I'm retarded (or senile, yet), and I want to see the author's post count because it tells me how active he have been. In particular if it's the author's first few posts (<5), I know it's a rank newbie, who is to be treated differently than someone who has made 100+ posts. Etc. That's just some basic info, which most well-designed forums provide automatically...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Even someone with <5 posts could be an 'expert' in his/her field.

Quantity does not equate to quality.

Personally, I could not give a hoot as to how many posts I have made. I belong to another forum, which is well-designed, and if I need to see my post-count I would have to navigate in to a profile page. Atleast here one can see it with relative ease.
    Quote Quote  
  7. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Even someone with <5 posts could be an 'expert' in his/her field.
    Quantity does not equate to quality.
    True, that's possible, but usually those with <5 posts are not very knowledgable.

Personally, I could not give a hoot as to how many posts I have made. I belong to another forum, which is well-designed, and if I need to see my post-count I would have to navigate in to a profile page. Atleast here one can see it with relative ease.
    I don't give a hoot how many posts I have made either, but fact is - you're treated differently based on your reputation, including number of posts. This would all be much easier if the postcount were displayed up front, not requiring user to find a tiny little icon somewhere on a huge complex page that conveys that info with a little popup box. I've been around here for several years, and it was very difficult for me to find. I didn't know if that feature had been removed completely, so had to ask...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    In the past, we had problems with 'post whores' who made posts with no real content just to show increased numbers to brag about. This was disruptive and the often one word posts did not contribute to the forums. The post count display was changed then. Then we switched over to VBulletin from the previous PhpBB forum software and the method of display we use now was adopted. There is also no longer a page listing post numbers for all members.
    Quote Quote  
  9. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    In the past, we had problems with 'post whores' who made posts with no real content just to show increased numbers to brag about. This was disruptive and the often one word posts did not contribute to the forums. The post count display was changed then.
    I don't recall seeing many one word posts, and can't imagine that being a real problem. Brag to who? More important IMO to serve the regular members, making it easiest to see and find info.

Then we switched over to VBulletin from the previous PhpBB forum software and the method of display we use now was adopted.
    I didn't notice the difference except as noted, but I haven't been a regular in recent months. So any little changes passed by me unnoticed. Fortunately you didn't completely kill the forum like CDFreaks did - I never go there anymore.

There is also no longer a page listing post numbers for all members.
    I have no idea what that means, but I guess I don't miss it(?).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The posts were probably deleted along with the 'post whores' who created them.

But I really do not understand this 'treat differently' idea. 'pw's' excepted, people come on here because they want help - we possibly all made our first post(s) for that very reason. If no one was prepared to help simply because one did not have the credentials, ie making a few meaningful posts, then the whole rationale behind the forum would colapse.
    Quote Quote  
  11. That "post whore" business was before your join date, and the changeover was prior to it as well, if I'm not much mistaken. Most members seemed to think at the time that it was a change for the better. Not that it was ever voted on or polled.

Anyway, just hover your mouse over the magnifying glass. Not that big a deal, is it?
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyBob View Post
    In particular if it's the author's first few posts (<5), I know it's a rank newbie, who is to be treated differently than someone who has made 100+ posts.
    Why don't you do a study and see if your theory pans out?

Some people never post until they spot a topic that they're absolutely positive about.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyBob View Post
    I don't recall seeing many one word posts
    No?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  14. Ibtl

tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah it's not like all this happened over the last week.....

Originally Posted by stiltman View Post
    Ibtl

You forgot something.....

Name:  lock.gif
Views: 2841
Size:  2.7 KB

LOL!!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Yeah it's not like all this happened over the last week.....

Originally Posted by stiltman View Post
    Ibtl

You forgot something.....

[Attachment 6952 - Click to enlarge]

LOL!!

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/201581-Leave-for-a-few-days
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  17. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    I just received an email notice that DB83 replied to this thread, then I come here and there's no post -- presumably deleted, but by whom? I don't see anything controversial so don't understand. The idea of hiding the number of posts from visitors never was a big issue to me. I don't care. But I think it would be more helpful to show it because its an indication of prior activity. More active folks are likely to be more knowledgable. But I seldom come here anymore, so what do I know?
    Quote Quote  
  18. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I can't see any deleted post.

What did DB83 write? It should be in the email.

And I have 39434908309 posts but I have no video editing/filtering knowledge.
    Quote Quote  
  19. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    I don't know. The D83 notice disappeared from my computer. No idea.

I get weekly updates, if that's any clue(?).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ordinarily, I'd say that a spambot probably posted, and maybe DB83 wrote a comment pointing out that it was a spambot, or something similar. But if Baldrick hasn't seen it... maybe johns0 or redwudz handled it.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  21. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    Ordinarily, I'd say that a spambot probably posted, and maybe DB83 wrote a comment pointing out that it was a spambot, or something similar. But if Baldrick hasn't seen it... maybe johns0 or redwudz handled it.
    Yep. I might have deleted it also....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Someone mention my name ?

Yes. I did contribute to this thread. The post was 5 years ago and is still here. I have not posted here since then.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe a 5 year old email notification.
    Quote Quote