VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi, I'm having a lot of trouble with this (starting to wonder if it is even possible) and would really appreciate some help. I'm currently using Sony Vegas Pro 10.0 and trying to separate existing audio from a video into music and all other sounds (or into music, voices and background noise). So basically I need to create multiple audio channels from one original track that keeps music separate. The closest I've come is finding a tutorial that explains I can separate a 5.1 surround sound .VOB file into the 4 channels (music being separate). However, the video I'm editing isn't 5.1 surround and even if it was I'm pretty sure it would need to be a rip straight from DVD, not downloaded (from torrent or whatever). Even if I got my hands on a downloaded 5.1 stereo copy, I'm not sure I could change this to surround. I'm really struggling with this. Any ideas would be great and I have no problem changing editing software. Thanks a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's not possible except in some limited scenarios.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Ok. Any chance you could elaborate on those 'limited scenarios'? Would I be able to create a scenario where it's possible?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by walkerrhodes View Post
    Ok. Any chance you could elaborate on those 'limited scenarios'? Would I be able to create a scenario where it's possible?
    Send it to Navy CIS.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The limited scenarios would be something like an 5.1 track with music (only) on the left and right channels and dialog/effects on the center and/or rear channels. Or a stereo recording with music on one channel and dialog/effects on the other.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The limited scenarios would be something like an 5.1 track with music (only) on the left and right channels and dialog/effects on the center and/or rear channels. Or a stereo recording with music on one channel and dialog/effects on the other.
    Alright. Thanks a lot for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  7. There's one other scenario that's quite common: a stereo track with voice in the center. You can subtract one channel from the other leaving a mono track with the voice removed. Unfortunately, any instruments in the center are also removed, leaving the track rather thin sounding. And the voice usually isn't completely removed because of reverb effects. This is a poor man's way of making karaoke tracks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Vegas Pro 10 is loaded to the hilt with audio capabilities, but I can't understand what you're trying to do. Can you, or someone else, restate the question?

If you're asking if you can pick and choose instruments, voice, and foley from a single soundtrack and put them on separate tracks, the answer is no, it doesn't matter what software you use.

That would be like taking the cheese out of a lasagne after it's been baked.
    Last edited by budwzr; 20th May 2011 at 18:15.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Jagabo, cheers for the help. I came across that idea before but didn't like the prospect of having such poor quality. Also, I wanted to get rid of the music, not the voice (although I believe there is a way of reversing that process by inverting the tracks... or something).

Budwzr, in a nutshell, I'm trying to get rid of the song from a video but leave the dialog and background noise completely intact. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote