VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, new here . I have a buddy of mine that makes parkour/extreme skateboarding videos and we're about to release some videos at school to see what kind of response we get. Anyways, I'm using a Canon IP2600 inkjet for color printing and I'm trying find me paper with some decent gloss to it that dries quick and doesn't run and smear ink all over the place (I've read older topics here but I'm just confused as hell now ). It doesn't have to be AAA+ Hollywood grade stuff, it just needs to have some gloss/shine to it, won't fade for at least a year, doesn't cost a fortune, and look presentable/professional.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    HP Brochure paper is my favorite.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For DVD inserts I just use 24# Hammermill paper (or any 24# paper I can find). You don't need a real thick paper for DVD inserts and the clear plastic cover of the DVD case does away with the need for a glossy paper.

For CD inserts, I use WAUSAU Exact Index Heavy Card Stock 90# paper. It works well for Christmas cards also.

If I was going to sell a homemade DVD then I would probably hire a print shop to print them to get that professional look and feel. My backups look like store bought DVDs and CDs. The average person cannot tell until he opens the case and sees the writing on the DVD-R or CD-R.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    For DVD inserts I just use 24# Hammermill paper (or any 24# paper I can find). You don't need a real thick paper for DVD inserts and the clear plastic cover of the DVD case does away with the need for a glossy paper.

For CD inserts, I use WAUSAU Exact Index Heavy Card Stock 90# paper. It works well for Christmas cards also.

If I was going to sell a homemade DVD then I would probably hire a print shop to print them to get that professional look and feel. My backups look like store bought DVDs and CDs. The average person cannot tell until he opens the case and sees the writing on the DVD-R or CD-R.
    Where do they sell this 24# Hammermill paper? I'm trying to get this project knocked out by Sunday so anything sold in stores would be awesome. As far as the professional look goes, I found me a CD/DVD print shop that will burn/press our CD's so it doesn't look like we sat in a Basement using CD-Stomper and Sticky Label Sheets, but I figured I can do DVD inserts myself, it looks simple enough to accomplish without paying someone more $$$ than I have to.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by slayerbizkit View Post
    Or you could do it yourself. Get a good printer that prints directly on CDs/DVDs and some Taiyo Yuden inkjet hub printables, and your result can look pretty impressive without paying big bucks to a print shop.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post

Where do they sell this 24# Hammermill paper? I'm trying to get this project knocked out by Sunday so anything sold in stores would be awesome. As far as the professional look goes, I found me a CD/DVD print shop that will burn/press our CD's so it doesn't look like we sat in a Basement using CD-Stomper and Sticky Label Sheets, but I figured I can do DVD inserts myself, it looks simple enough to accomplish without paying someone more $$$ than I have to.
    Staples

http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/StaplesSearch?searchkey=hammermill&storeId=1000...1&fromUrl=home

Office Depot

http://www.officedepot.com/catalog/search.do;jsessionid=00002hVm0f0q2qn6hfU4fjq0SwJ:13...r&predict=true

KMart

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/search_10151_10104?vName=Computers+%26+Electronics&cName=Of...oRedirect=true

I was talking about getting the covers printed professionally if you wanted the glossy look. I don't like the look of glossy printer paper myself. Like I said earlier though, they look good on regular print paper behind the clear plastic which gives them the glossy look. With 20# paper, the ink can bleed through an screw up the paper with dark colors which is why I prefer 24# or heavier paper. I have an HP Photosmart printer now that prints very well. I use photo gray instead of black for photo and graphics work. I assume the Canon printers print without bleeding through also. My old HP both bled through with dark colors and would not print to edge which forced me to use 8.5x14" legal paper.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by p_l View Post
    Or you could do it yourself. Get a good printer that prints directly on CDs/DVDs and some Taiyo Yuden inkjet hub printables, and your result can look pretty impressive without paying big bucks to a print shop.
    I was talking about getting the inserts printed professionally to get the glossy look that he wanted. How much does a good printer cost that will print DVDs? I would assume that if you were printing a lot of DVDs that it would be pretty time consuming so he might have made the wiser decision to have them done professionally. They probably look a lot better also, not printed on a white DVD. The inkjet DVDs would make a good choice for the home user making back-ups though.

EDIT: Wow, that sounds like a nice printer. Prints up to 13x44" prints from a roll of paper? Prints glossy prints with UltraChrome High Gloss two pigment ink. Ink has to be expensive. Nine ink cartridges. $299.99

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@0067002836.13059406...sku=C11C698201
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll probably pick up some #24 HammerMill tonight. I'm going to do a trial run using my Canon and also using an HP Color Laser printer at my job and see which one comes out better. Will a pair of scissors and a ruler suffice for cutting/sizing the inserts or is there a more efficient/faster way of doing this? (I have about 50-100 DVD's to make).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You also need a printer that prints borderless on 8.5 x 11 right?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought an x-acto paper cutter about 12 years ago for about $30. They seem to be a lot more expensive now days.

K-Mart - 12" $54.59

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_025V043868863000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

Staples - 12" - $54.99

http://www.staples.com/X-Acto-Heavy-Duty-Wood-Paper-Trimmers/product_SS108209

Officemax - Swingline 12" - $56.99

http://www.officemax.com/catalog/sku.jsp?productId=prod1812125&history=1r2v104q|pro dPage~15^freeText~paper+cutter^paramValue~true^ref ine~1^region~1^param~return_skus@q5qfpqc8|prodPage ~15^paramValue~true^sort~Price+%28Low-High%29^refine~1^position~1^region~1^param~return_ skus@5zxiwmhs|prodPage~15^paramValue~true^refine~1 ^position~16^region~1^param~return_skus@62y0h1p9|p rodPage~15^paramValue~true^refine~1^position~31^re gion~1^param~return_skus@xxacvf4h|prodPage~15^para mValue~true^refine~1^position~46^region~1^param~re turn_skus@kmdcp62l|prodPage~15^paramValue~true^ref ine~1^position~61^region~1^param~return_skus^retur n_skus~Y

Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The rotary blade type of paper cutters are more accurate, safer, and the blades are replaceable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HP Brochure paper seems to have the best look - and good print quality.

I use a rotary cutter also - have move up to one with a metal deck (more solid): Carl RT-200.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote