VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Guys

I have a stupid question. I'm planning to finally buy an HDTV and want to connect my computer to the TV using HDMI. However, I also have an Onkyo sound system which I want to somehow connect the computer into to get better sound rather than getting the sound from the TV. How do I go about doing this?

Should I simply use digital coax-out from the computer into the Onkyo and then simply mute the TV? I wonder if there would be any problem with the sound card passing sound via digital coax out given that it would be passing sound via the HDMI port

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rajtp"
    Should I simply use digital coax-out from the computer into the Onkyo and then simply mute the TV? I wonder if there would be any problem with the sound card passing sound via digital coax out given that it would be passing sound via the HDMI port
    Thats essentially what I do with my ps3. I don't have a hdmi capable receiver so I send the fiber optic out from the ps3 to receiver. I then use hdmi to the tv. Actually you don't need to mute the tv since no sound is being transmitted - at least on the ps3 setup. But if you are routing your sound through your sound card the same is happening on the computer - no sound through the hdmi so it is the same.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. This is exactly what I do and no problems whatsoever. I never really looked into sound over HDMI, this is apparently possible but I wanted full surround and not just stereo.

Great for video games as well as movies.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nelson37
    I never really looked into sound over HDMI, this is apparently possible but I wanted full surround and not just stereo.
    There might be issues with first generation hdmi but my understanding is that the newest HD AUDIO like Dolby True HD or DTS MA Audio REQUIRES hdmi. From what I've read here the fiber optic connection does not have enough bandwidth for the hd audio.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I don't have HDMI on my amp and the TV only outputs stereo no matter what you feed it so it wasn't an option for me. Hey, I'm lucky I can do DTS and Dolby Surround, the amp was a gift.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nelson37 View Post
    I don't have HDMI on my amp and the TV only outputs stereo no matter what you feed it so it wasn't an option for me. Hey, I'm lucky I can do DTS and Dolby Surround, the amp was a gift.
    Well my understanding is you need to send the hdmi from the player to the amp FIRST then the hdmi out to the tv. I don't know if that means the amp always has to be on for the signal to get to the tv or if there is a low power standby passthrough mode or not.

I don't have hdmi either on my amp. But it still sounds pretty damn good with fiber optic from my ps3
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have the coaxial audio out from my DVD changers and my computers and WDTV Live (via a optical>coaxial converter) routed to a RCA type switch box. That feeds the coaxial audio to my surround amp.

The HDMI video from those devices goes through a 5 input HDMI switch, then a HDMI splitter to my HDMI monitor and my video projector. Never had any problems with audio or video playback. The monitor is actually DVI, so the HDMI cable goes to a HDMI>DVI adapter.

I play Blu-ray discs on my BD ROM drives with TMT3 on the computers and feed MKV video from the LAN to the computer (Or WDTV), then to the amplifier, projector and monitor. The surround amp doesn't have HDMI inputs and my computer video cards don't output audio to the HDMI cable. If I replace the surround amp, I might get a amp with HDMI switching, but I would still use the coaxial/optical audio. I don't have a TV or a set top BD player.
    Quote Quote