VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello every1.

So my problem is this:
    I record my screen, when I record I use 3vix codec its very good for me.
    when Im finish recodring I take the 3vix file and edit it with virtualdub after I save it to avi file (uncomcpresed file) so I get like 10-20-30 giga of an avi file... after that I use Boilsoft ASF Converter to convert.
    usully the Boilsoft ASF Converter works very good but sometimes it cant convert so I get stock with a very big avi files.
    when I try to convert those files with any other program (Ive tried alot) The picture goes difrent... like a grey with yellow line or black and white or just half of the video like just the the upper window or something.

any ideas guys?

I forgot to say... sometimes I cant recored using 3vix codec so I use mjpeg codec I think it only happend when I use Mjpeg but, I dont understand howcome because I convert it to full uncompresed video.

any Ideas?

thank you
    Last edited by yugub; 14th May 2011 at 11:30. Reason: Forggot something :)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by yugub View Post
    when I try to convert those files
    Convert to what?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Will this Boilsoft take a 3ivx file and convert it to the final format you want ?

I do not really understand the need for the intermediate step. You are imorting the 3ivx in to vdub. Edit there and export it back to 3ivx (see compression settings). You gain nothing by taking a compressed file(3ivx) and exporting that as uncompressed except bloating the size.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hech54: the files I made with virtualdub - the full uncompesed avi files.

DB83: when I try to cmpressed it to 3ivx with virtualdub I get the next msg: unable to intialize the output video codec. check that the video codec is compatible with the output video frame size and that the settings are correct, or try a diffrent one."

thx for the replay.

and yes - for your first question - my final format is done by boilsoft.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can not help with the 3ivx codec. I believe it is quite old and has been superceeded by more efficient, and free, ones.

May I suggest another approach.

You still have not stated what your final video format is but since you are using a 'ASF' program I will take an educated guess that it is wmv. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Can you capture your screen in another format - wmv or mpeg2 as two examples ?

If you can capture as wmv then just import into Windows Movie Maker, edit and export again in wmv.

But if you wish to state your final video version, we may have other suggestions rather than second-guessing.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hmmmmmm first of all thank you.
    secound, I can only capture to avi file.

thx alot for the suggestion of windows movie maker... Im converting the uncopressed avi file thro it and it looks fine so far.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	12.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	6800  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK. I just did a quick test on this program. A little choosey with the codecs it will use despite the options.

I was able to do a good capture using the lagarith codec which is lossless. Will produce a better quality capture than 3ivx (methinks). You can still use vdub for your editing but export back to lagarith - will take less disk space than uncompressed - before final conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I dont know how you find this things lol.. I havent tried it yet because Im not on my own PC right now, I will try it in a few hours..... thx a bunch

I have another question if I may...
    can I record audio while the source is played throu my microphones with the aca screen recorder I mean?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As for the mic I think it will depend on your audio setup.

You can only record from one source at a time. Now if you look at the audio tab you will see a checkbox (tick to record audio) and then below that the sound device and berlow that the connector.

The connector selection will control what is recorded. On my system, the only connector that is active (determined from the settings of the audio device and not this program) is 'Stereo Mix'. That should record whatever source is active. If your sound device alllows you to select Mic as the recording source then I would expect that you have to selct that in the sound device settings AND in the program.

However, if you are recording what you hear from the screen and have to physically select the recording source in the sound device I doubt that you could get the two sources recorded at the same time.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the tip using the lagarith codec and windows movie maker... I dont know how you found the right codec so fast... good for you
    I couldnt figure out the right audio setup for recording with sound but I will work on it.

Thx alot
    Great Forum.
    Quote Quote