VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently modified my system because it said i was missing a codec. I downloaded and installed the k-lite codec pack. It now says i am still missing codecs. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to replace the missing codecs? Should i just use codec sniper and get rid of them all, and then reinstall them again? I'd appreciate any help.
    Last edited by snafubaby; 15th May 2011 at 03:09.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by snafubaby View Post
    how to replace the missing codecs?.
    You need to say which codecs are missing.

And how is "your system" telling you there are missing codecs anyway?

An application may be trying to play some media and not know how. K-Lite includes ffdshow, which can play just about anything out of the box.

And K-Lite has an install/uninstalll codecs feature. That's the whole idea: it gives you a central control for all your codecs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had a bunch of broken codecs, according to codec sniper. I deleted a bunch of them, and reinstalled the combined community codec pack. I was using Cinegobs Keyer and i kept trying to load in an .avi file, and it said i was missing the codec to load in the .avi. I forget which codecs i installed, but keyer finally loaded in that .avi file. Now, when i tried to use xvid4psp, and tried to load in an .mp4, i could hear the audio, but could not see the video. I also have avisynth installed. I am missing SOMETHING! I know it. Should i uninstall combined community codec pack, and install k-lite instead? I tried to install ffdshow, but it was installing into the combined community codec pack folder, and it gave me an error because it tried to install a .dll from a codec that was already installed by cccp. Do i install it into a different folder?

Please advise.
    Last edited by snafubaby; 15th May 2011 at 03:28.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't use more than once codec pack at a time; you'll end up with conflicts and confusion.

Both K-Lite and CCCP include ffdshow, and it should be installed and activated by default.
    If you install it separately you'll mess that up.

Both of them should have a central control that sets up all the codecs.
    I use K-Lite; it installs a "Codec Tweak Tool" and also has a set of config icons in the Start menu.

I don't use CCCP, but see http://www.cccp-project.net/ and it has links to documentation and a forum.
    The playback help forum should get you some answers.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I am bound and determined to fix the problems with my system. This is insane! I spent over 5 hours pulling my hair out, figuring out how to fix things. I uninstalled cccp, and installed k-lite. Hopefully i can figure out why xvid4psp isn't showing the video, but i can hear the audio.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Why don't you just look to see what codec is used in your AVI file then install that codec? Try GSpot or MediaInfo.

Remember, there are two video subsystems in Windows: VFW and DirectShow. Some programs use one, some the other. VFW based programs can't access DirectShow codecs. DirectShow programs can't access VFW codecs.

If you are running 64 bit Windows you have a further difficulty: 64 bit programs require 64 bit codecs, 32 bit programs require 32 bit codecs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi. I am running 32-bit windows xp home edition.

I tried Gspot. It says that the codec is apple quicktime. I don't have quicktime installed. I have quicktime alternative installed. Should i uninstall alternative, and install quicktime?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by snafubaby View Post
    I tried Gspot. It says that the codec is apple quicktime.
    What does it say for the fourcc?

Click image for larger version

Name:	gs.png
Views:	161
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	6811

And what does it say about the container? I suspect it's not an AVI file.
    Last edited by jagabo; 15th May 2011 at 21:13.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi. Gspot says it's avc1.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Then all you need is an h.264 decoder. The codec packs you mentioned both include ffdshow which has both VFW and DirectShow h.264 decoders. You may need to enable them. I don't know if they install ffdshow the usual way but normally you use:

Start -> All Programs -> ffdshow -> VFW Configuration -> Decoder (tab) -> Codecs (left pane) -> H.264/AVC (right pane)

Start -> All Programs -> ffdshow -> Video Decoder Configuration -> Decoder (tab) -> Codecs (left pane) -> H.264/AVC (right pane)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi. Did what you suggested. Made sure that VFW Configuration and Video Decoder Configuration in FFDSHOW both have H.264 set. Still cannot see ANY video in XVID4PSP, no matter if i load an .avi, .mp4, .mov, etc.. I just hear the audio when i push the play button. Will keep trying things.
    Last edited by snafubaby; 15th May 2011 at 22:18.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by snafubaby View Post
    Still cannot see ANY video in XVID4PSP, no matter if i load an .avi, .mp4, .mov, etc..
    What do you have set as the Player Engine in Xvid4PSP? Make sure it's DirectShow.
    Settings -> Player Engine -> DirectShow
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, the player engine is directshow.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Open the video with Graph Studio. ("render media file" from the File menu).
    Do you get a graph, and does it play ?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Note that your problem is that you need ONE codec, nothing ever tells you to install a PACK of codecs, you have done that TWICE, and you still need ONE codec, yet you insist on installing a PACK of codecs, and join the LEGIONS of people who needed ONE codec, installed a PACK of codecs, failed to solve their problem, and often create multiple additional problems.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Open the video with Graph Studio. ("render media file" from the File menu).
    Do you get a graph, and does it play ?
    This is what it looks like when rendering the media file. When i click the green arrow at the top, it starts playing.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	B00000001.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	6864  

Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nelson37 View Post
    Note that your problem is that you need ONE codec, nothing ever tells you to install a PACK of codecs, you have done that TWICE, and you still need ONE codec, yet you insist on installing a PACK of codecs, and join the LEGIONS of people who needed ONE codec, installed a PACK of codecs, failed to solve their problem, and often create multiple additional problems.

Hi. Very true. When i used codec sniper last week, i zapped all but 3 of my installed codecs. I had almost 200 on my machine. The reason why i re-installed k-lite is because i deleted a bunch of codecs that were deemed broken, and i tried to get them back by re-installing it. Just trying to figure out why xvid4psp will not allow me to see the video, but hear the audio, of every video file i load into it.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Another thing to keep in mind: codec packs don't only install codecs. They also install file readers, file splitters, video renderers, other video filters, and players. Any of these things can lead to problems.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Note that your problem is that you need ONE codec, nothing ever tells you to install a PACK of codecs, you have done that TWICE, and you still need ONE codec, yet you insist on installing a PACK of codecs, and join the LEGIONS of people who needed ONE codec, installed a PACK of codecs, failed to solve their problem, and often create multiple additional problems.

Hi. Very true. When i used codec sniper last week, i zapped all but 3 of my installed codecs. I had almost 200 on my machine. The reason why i re-installed k-lite is because i deleted a bunch of codecs that were deemed broken, and i tried to get them back by re-installing it. Just trying to figure out why xvid4psp will not allow me to see the video, but hear the audio, of every video file i load into it.
    You want the only sure fire fix for this (all too) regular problem? Backup any of your document/important files and re-install the OS. If you're having this many problems, you probably don't have the knowledge to fix it. For me this is the basic problem with freaking 'codec packs'.

If you know what you're doing, they aren't necessarily bad per se, you don't need them because you can install everything you need WHEN you need them. Some people use them as a central place for a few items they regularly use and update.

/on-soap box/
    But, for the uninformed and newbies who tend to say 'yes' to installing every little, obscure, duplicate, often competing piece of software in the God-forbidden 'codec-pack' - it's walk through codec and often system problem hell.
    /off-soap box/

In all seriousnes, if you want to make sure your system is OK, wipe and re-install. Find a all-inclusive (codecs are internal to the player) play like MPCHC or VLC and others for video play back. ffdshow is a good secondary way to get the fringe missing things.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by neomaine View Post

You want the only sure fire fix for this (all too) regular problem? Backup any of your document/important files and re-install the OS. If you're having this many problems, you probably don't have the knowledge to fix it. For me this is the basic problem with freaking 'codec packs'.

If you know what you're doing, they aren't necessarily bad per se, you don't need them because you can install everything you need WHEN you need them. Some people use them as a central place for a few items they regularly use and update.

/on-soap box/
    But, for the uninformed and newbies who tend to say 'yes' to installing every little, obscure, duplicate, often competing piece of software in the God-forbidden 'codec-pack' - it's walk through codec and often system problem hell.
    /off-soap box/

In all seriousnes, if you want to make sure your system is OK, wipe and re-install. Find a all-inclusive (codecs are internal to the player) play like MPCHC or VLC and others for video play back. ffdshow is a good secondary way to get the fringe missing things.
    hi! I didn't wipe and reinstall windows xp. I DID reinstall over my current install. It did the trick! xvid4psp loads stuff fine now. Anything i throw at it, it loads in, and does the tasks i tell it to do. I appreciate your suggestion.

cheers!
    Quote Quote