VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all.
    I've a strange one - for me, anyway.

I scored a rare film in an iso format. On playback, the aspect ratio is way out - probably 2.35:1 instead of the proper full 1.77:1.
    This is easy to fix of the files were avi, but wen in an iso - or vts, or img - I'm totally lost.

Is there a way I can convert the ratio while the file is still an iso? That is, not having to convert it to avi or whatever?
    Obviously, I want to be able to burn the iso to DVD, and be able to play it back in the correct ratio of 1.77:1, instead of the bad 2.35:1 it is now - so it needs to be somehow adjusted before it's burned.
    The size of the DVD is just under 4 gig - that's 99.999% main movie.
    I hope I've explained my problem well enough!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Simon J
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    iso is just an image of a disc file. remove the video from the image file with winrar, isobuster, etc. then maybe you can re-encode it to the proper a/r.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    To add to what aedipuss wrote, an ISO or IMG is basically just a container.
    You need to extract the files inside it, i am assuming it will be a VIDEO_TS folder from what you wrote seeing as you gave no real specific details.

I have fixed dvd's before that were in the wrong aspect ratio without re-encoding them.
    Both types, widescreen that was stretched and played as fullscreen and fullscreen that played squished as widescreen.

DVD Patcher is one but i can't recall the other program ?
    DVD Patcher is a tool to change the video headers in mpg/mpeg2 video. Change aspect ratio, framerate, resolution/size and bitrate.
    Not saying it will work 100%, it has worked the few rare times i needed to do such a thing, but it only takes a few minutes compared to hours and losing quality re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for that.
    Yes I was aware an iso is simply a container, but wasn't sure how to deal with the video files.
    Yes, video_ts.
    I'll have a go with DVD Patcher, and look forward to any other helpful hints and/or suggestions.

And if I mange to figure it out, I'll report back here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When you look at the film are you sure it is supposed to be 16:9 ? ie is it just the black bars top and bottom that is the worry or are humans and objects squashed and fat. Maybe you could upload an image of what you see preferably with a human being in it - and not a Hobbit
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    preferably with a human being in it - and not a hobbit
    lmao!!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by cinesimon View Post
    I scored a rare film in an iso format. On playback, the aspect ratio is way out - probably 2.35:1 instead of the proper full 1.77:1.
    Like netmask56, I find what you're saying a bit screwy. If it's a DVD and if it's 2.35:1, then it has black bars on top and bottom. 'the proper full 1.77:1' tells me you expect it to be without any black bars at all.

And that assumes you know what you're talking about, maybe a big assumption. Perhaps it was encoded as 16:9 instead of 4:3, as it should have been (which will mean smaller black bars upon playback, rather than none at all). And if that's not the case, you'll have to crop away the black bars, resize the video, and reencode it for 16:9. Instead of just a pic, I'd rather see a small sample of the video, after you extract it from the ISO.

That's the chance you take when downloading crap from the Internet. The fact that the original encoder didn't even know enough to fill up the DVDR already tells me he was incompetent. That he couldn't even get the aspect ratio right is just further proof.
    Quote Quote