VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello people, I captured an hdv tape with Premiere Pro and i need to hardsub some subtitles on the movie... the file i got it's an MPeg2 1440*1080 25 frames with a bitrate of 25000... and i need the hardsubbed file to be in the same format... so i can export it to tape again with Premiere... I already try Avi Demux, Virtual dub and XviD4PSP but i cant get a fine result ( maybe because i didn't try hard enough ) but, before i loose my mind with every option of encoding in any of these programs i want to consult you people...

Which program would you use for this task?

TnX!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by emivar27 View Post
    Hello people, I captured an hdv tape with Premiere Pro and i need to hardsub some subtitles on the movie... the file i got it's an MPeg2 1440*1080 25 frames with a bitrate of 25000... and i need the hardsubbed file to be in the same format... so i can export it to tape again with Premiere... I already try Avi Demux, Virtual dub and XviD4PSP but i cant get a fine result ( maybe because i didn't try hard enough ) but, before i loose my mind with every option of encoding in any of these programs i want to consult you people...

Which program would you use for this task?

TnX!
    I don't know if Premiere Pro supports subtitles but to get back to tape you should be in a PP HDV project setting and export to tape with "Print to HDV Tape" in Premiere. I think that function was added after version CS3.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, Premiere doesnt supports subtitles, that's why i'm looking for a program to hardsub this mpg2 file... can anyone help?
    Last edited by emivar27; 7th May 2011 at 20:46.
    Quote Quote  
  4. what format is your subtitles in ?

what version of premiere ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i got the subtitles in srt and ssa ( and i can convert it in any format anyway )

the premiere it's pro 2

Quote Quote  
  6. pp2 might be too old, but I think the avs import plugin should work for it for frameserving
    http://videoeditorskit.sourceforge.net/

create avs script e.g. dgindex

mpeg2source("video.d2v")
    textsub("subs.srt")

import the .avs into premiere into a HDV timeline and project settings. You have to interpret the file's field order (top field first), pixel aspect ratio (1.333 HDV) to match real HDV sequence 1440x1080i , then export to tape

Alternatively you can use the same script and encode a lossless intermediate for import with vdub . Same things apply with interpreting the file . The 1st method avoids big intermediate files and wasting time encoding an intermediate file
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, i got to update my premiere suite ( and all my hardware in general ) , the thing is, here in Argentina, HD editing started to kick in since last year .. and i never got the need to deal with it till now ...

Back to the topic, i understand all you say except this part :

Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    mpeg2source("video.d2v")
    textsub("subs.srt")
    Quote Quote  
  8. http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Main_Page
    http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Main_Page#New_to_AviSynth_-_start_here

1) install avisynth , put vsfilter.dll in plugins folder . Read the instructions . ssa has more formatting options than plain text srt subs
    http://avisynth.org.ru/docs/english/externalfilters/vsfilter.htm

2) index your file with dgindex

3) open text in notepad in the same directory as video (or specify full path names C:\PATH ), write the code, save it, rename extension from .txt to .avs

4) open the script in vdub to preview & check that it works ok

5) import .avs into premiere
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

4) open the script in vdub to preview & check that it works ok

5) import .avs into premiere
    worked like a charm TNX poisondeathray!!!

i got a little question left... do you know the script for changing the format of the subtitle? just the color and the font

Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by emivar27 View Post

i got a little question left... do you know the script for changing the format of the subtitle? just the color and the font
    Can't be done if using SRT subs. You'll have to convert to SSA and then set the colors, font, size, position, etc. You can open the SSA in Notepad and see what controls those settings.
    Quote Quote