VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use Nero version 6.6.1.15 for burning. I know it's old but for what I do, it suits me fine and it's not so bloated as the later versions.

I would like to know if there is anything extra I need to do to burn to a DL DVD. What I would like to do is burn a tv series to dvd because it's 7.5 GB for all the files. These are all .avi videos. My main concern is if Nero takes care of all the details when going from layer one to layer two in the middle of a video. The reason I ask is that I did this once before and it seemed that the moment that the player went to layer two, there was no continuation of the video I was watching. It was as if all the information it needed to orient itself was lost.

Anyone have experience with this?
    Last edited by neroguy; 8th May 2011 at 11:25.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by neroguy View Post
    I would like to know if there is anything extra I need to do to burn to a DL DVD.
    Yep, use ImgBurn regardless of what you are burning to a DL & also to use good DL media, and i don't mean TDK, MEMOREX, etc.
    Verbatim is what to use.

Nero is not known for it's DL burning, and i'm sure the older versions are worse.
    I do like the older nero 6 but not ever for burning DL media and it does not work on W7 64bit.

As for the rest, i can't say as i have never used a DL dvdr for avi files, i usually just split them onto two SL disc's.
    But depending on the size of the avi's (Xvid?) i would think it would just fit what it could onto layer 1 then the rest onto layer 2.

And maybe it was the fault of the media as you never stated what brand it was, but that is just a guess on my part.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And maybe it was the fault of the media as you never stated what brand it was, but that is just a guess on my part.
    I use Taiyo Yuden DVD+R DL disks. Have had extremely good luck with them.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah i'd say you are safe with those
    Quote Quote  
  5. OK guys, cut out the brand name game!!
    IF you use ImgBurn, you know better. It goes BOTH ways. The SAME disk can be branded by more than one brand name. Likewise, the SAME brand name can be manugactured by MORE than one manufacturer. OK? NO arguments on this folks, you all KNOW this is true.
    Now what is interesting is that I have ImgBurn (obviously) but thought of FnfraRecorder first. As a replacement for that old Nero, it is likely better than ImgBurn, BUT for burning, use ImgBurn. There are things that Nero and InfrRecorder do that are not possible to do with ImgBurn.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by neroguy View Post
    I use Taiyo Yuden DVD+R DL disks. Have had extremely good luck with them.
    There are no such thing as Taiyo Yuden DVD+R DL disks. There TYs -R DL, they are good for data. Non-DVD structure video files are just data. The TYs DVD-R DL however are more expensive than Verbatims DVD+R DL. I've used Nero 6 for DVD+R DL and it worked OK but as already pointed out the ImgBurn is the program to use for the best results together with Verbatims +R DL.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by v491138 View Post
    OK guys, cut out the brand name game!!
    IF you use ImgBurn, you know better. It goes BOTH ways. The SAME disk can be branded by more than one brand name. Likewise, the SAME brand name can be manugactured by MORE than one manufacturer. OK? NO arguments on this folks, you all KNOW this is true.
    Ummm... then why are you rambling on about it

The SAME disk can be branded by more than one brand name.
    DUHH!!!
    That's why you use good known manufactured disc's, i still fail to see what your point was except to ramble on.....
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tonypeter View Post
    There are no such thing as Taiyo Yuden DVD+R DL disks. There TYs -R DL, they are good for data. Non-DVD structure video files are just data. The TYs DVD-R DL however are more expensive than Verbatims DVD+R DL. I've used Nero 6 for DVD+R DL and it worked OK but as already pointed out the ImgBurn is the program to use for the best results together with Verbatims +R DL.
    Never thought of that but now that you mention it.
    I don't really use TY's so i am not that familiar with them other than the fact i know they are good quality media.

But if he is making avi/xvid disc's that should not be an issue unless the fact it fills the entire first layer to where it splits the last video file for that side.

But either way, yeah i'd still use DL +R verbs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well just mix up the mix here ... when I burn a Verbatim DL disk ... I use Cyberlink Power2Go 6.

It is usually from a ISO file created with Elaborate Bytes CloneDVD 2
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The question I would have is 'What do you plan to play the burned videos on?' If it's a set top Divx player, you need to use Divx/Xvid settings that are compatible to your player. That would be more important than layer breaks. If it's for computer playback, just about any format/setting will work.

I've backed up quite a few multiple Xvid/Divx/H.264 videos to Verbatim DL discs. I just add them all into ImgBurn and write the files to a DL disc as data. Never saw layer break info with those or saw any problems in the burned disc playback.

But if I'm burning a MPEG-2 DVD compliant DL disc, ImgBurn will give me several places to set the layer break and rate them and you just chose the one you like. Very simple.

Nero might '..take care of the details..', but it too often gets them wrong. I would rather pay attention to the details myself and not waste a disc. That old of a version of Nero may also have problems with many of the newer burners and media.

Note: And if you were planning on converting 7.5GB of Xvid video to MPEG-2 DVD format, it's very unlikely it will fit on a DL disc. Probably end up about 3 times that size or bigger.
    Quote Quote  
  11. And I thought I was rather concise.
    READ it again!
    Verbatum, etc are not all from the same manufacturer.
    Please do NOT tell me otherwise since I have seen this with my own eyes via ImgBurn.
    The LABEL on the disk is NOT the manufaturer.
    Manufacturers label the disks for their customers who are the owners of all those brand names such that one manufacturer may supply more than one brand and isn't the exclusive supplier of that bransd either.
    I really thought you folks here would know that.
    Ritek really does manufacture disks and they do it for other brands as well.
    That brand name is not a sure thing, though I'm certain that the owner of the brand name is concerned about quality, some more than others, and that helps, but it ain't perfect.
    Sorry about rambling again folks, BUT facts are facts, this isn't opinion but rather direct observation that I could see even before the cataracts were removed.
    THIS is rambling. Read the other post again. It IS concise.

Meanwhile the original question dealt with burning DL disks and ImgBurn is the best freeware as already noted by others.
    However, Nero 6 (was my favourite at one time) was mentioned and I suggested using InfraRecorder instead. Not perfect, but with other freewares you can pretty much duplicate all of Nero 6 or 7. Short and sweet. No more flames please. <G>
    Last edited by v491138; 6th May 2011 at 23:10.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by v491138 View Post
    And I thought I was rather concise.
    READ it again!
    Verbatum, etc are not all from the same manufacturer.
    Please do NOT tell me otherwise since I have seen this with my own eyes via ImgBurn.
    The LABEL on the disk is NOT the manufaturer.
    Manufacturers label the disks for their customers who are the owners of all those brand names such that one manufacturer may supply more than one brand and isn't the exclusive supplier of that bransd either.
    I really thought you folks here would know that.
    Ritek really does manufacture disks and they do it for other brands as well.
    That brand name is not a sure thing, though I'm certain that the owner of the brand name is concerned about quality, some more than others, and that helps, but it ain't perfect.
    Sorry about rambling again folks, BUT facts are facts, this isn't opinion but rather direct observation that I could see even before the cataracts were removed.
    THIS is rambling. Read the other post again. It IS concise.

Meanwhile the original question dealt with burning DL disks and ImgBurn is the best freeware as already noted by others.
    However, Nero 6 (was my favourite at one time) was mentioned and I suggested using InfraRecorder instead. Not perfect, but with other freewares you can pretty much duplicate all of Nero 6 or 7. Short and sweet. No more flames please. <G>
    Dude stop with the ranting and rambling.....we all know about MEDIA ID & IMGBURN......there's no need to be a wise guy...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz View Post
    Dude stop with the ranting and rambling.....we all know about MEDIA ID & IMGBURN......there's no need to be a wise guy...
    WAZ UP BROTHA!!!!!!!!!!

I don't recall seeing you post for a while!!!

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Originally Posted by budz View Post
    WAZ UP BROTHA!!!!!!!!!!

I don't recall seeing you post for a while!!!

Yo! I been hanging out in the Android forums & not doing too much video & computer stuff like I used to......I still lurk here and there.....
    Quote Quote  
  15. This concise enough?
    Thanks guys.
    Quote Quote