VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So this weekend I bought a new TV, a new surround sound system, and a PS3 Slim all connected through HDMI cables and Optical out from my TV to the receiver. My TV can stream over DLNA, but even though it has the optical out the TV downgrades to stereo sound.

So I installed PS3 Media Server on my computer so I can stream to the PS3 and get full surround sound on my videos, but came across the dreaded Cinavia DRM. Today I've been looking everywhere for more information about it. So here are my questions:

1) Some people say you can enable the optical out while still only using HDMI and that will bypass Cinavia, but in doing so you lose surround sound. Is this true?

2) Some posts say you can reconvert the videos with certain programs to get rid of the Cinavia protection. Which one(s) are best/easiest/quickest?

3) Which brings me to my third question. Is there a program that detects which files have the Cinavia DRM? I have a lot of video files and don't want to have to guess which ones are safe and which ones are "infected".

4) This should have probably been question 1, but is there actually any easier workaround, like a plugin or alternative to PS3 Media Server that will disable Cinavia on the fly while it's streaming?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. The above mentioned page is no longer valid. I just wanted to know...

1. whether standalone players can detect Cinavia code even in files like mkv and m2ts?

2. Does extracting the audio channels to individual .wav files and remixing them using DTS encoder remove Cinavia?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by maxrockpro View Post
    The above mentioned page is no longer valid. I just wanted to know...

1. whether standalone players can detect Cinavia code even in files like mkv and m2ts?

2. Does extracting the audio channels to individual .wav files and remixing them using DTS encoder remove Cinavia?

I think standalone players differ too much to make generalizations about them and Cinavia detection. Some might detect Cinavia in other types of files, and some might not. Also might depend on whether you are playing from discs or from USB sticks.

Answer to your second question is no. That won't help.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by maxrockpro View Post
    They could. But why would they? Unless the player is made by Sony. Cinavia detection is only required to get a Blu-ray license. And even most Blu-ray players will not respond to Cinavia in MP4 and MKV files. But some will, so choose wisely.

Originally Posted by maxrockpro View Post
    No. You have to distort the audio pretty badly before Cinavia can no longer be detected.

Just forget the PS3 and get a decent media player for US$50 to US$100.
    Last edited by jagabo; 12th Jul 2016 at 18:18.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Last edited by pepegot1; 12th Jul 2016 at 18:21.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by maxrockpro View Post
    Nope, to remove Cinavia blindly, you need to apply lowpass filter (approx 7kHz) then to partially recover lost quality you may use some filter like ffdshow 'crystality' to extend bandwidth - this is least possible from quality loss perspective way to remove Cinavia for today.
    Quote Quote