VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello I need to make a DVD OF THE BEST QUALITY out of a project of over 80 Gigas in the old Premiere 6.5 It is 68 minutes of very edited video - 5 years work- shooted in MiniDV.

As it is a feature film that is going to be screened commercially, as the first of this series, I need the best quality. Just fine would not do.

The final product would be a DVD. So what would you recommend me ?

Premiere 6.5 Gives me 3 good options among others:

1- To export it with the Adobe MPEG Encoder -to MPEG 2

2- To export it to AVI with the Cinepak Codec by ratius

3- To export it to AVI again but with the Microsoft DV AVI Compressor

In case I use option 1: How do I make the DVD with the m2 something files I would ge?. Would I have to recompress again with an authoring DVD ...?

Well, I feel really lost. I appreciatte greatlly any help you could give me that would lead me to obtaining the best possible quality.

Also... Would it be possible to use the AME with premiere 6.5 ? It would be better than the Adobe MPEG Encoder?

Thank you so much !!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by pregunto View Post
    In case I use option 1: How do I make the DVD with the m2 something files I would ge?. Would I have to recompress again with an authoring DVD ...?
    Authoring does not involve re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    depends on how much you want to spend? a $50K hardware encoding workstation is probably best, but if you are looking for a software encoding solution cce sp3 is probably it.

you could export it to miniDV and send it off to a production house as they most likely have hardware encoders.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If this is an all DV project (DV source and DV project setting), export to DV-AVI should be done at least as your edit master.

The Mainconcept MPeg2 codec that came with Premiere 6.5 was an early version 1.x. Adobe offered an update and then another as beta. I'd have to research the version numbers but you would be better off to use a later generation MPeg2 encoder from your DV-AVI edit master file. For 68 minutes, you could encode MPeg2 at CBR 8700 Kbps, 224 kbps audio for very good quality. See bit rate calculator https://www.videohelp.com/calc.

If price is no object, have a post house use their best MPeg2 encoder.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is an Avisynth frameserver plug-in for Premiere (including Premiere 6.5) that you can use to export your project timeline to HCEnc. That's what I would do, were I in your position.

http://neuron2.net/www.math.berkeley.edu/benrg/avisynth-premiere.html
    Quote Quote  
  6. Frame server is a solution , but it is a long time I used it, I do not remember what used to work.

Export uncompressed from Premiere, it is SD video, so 68 minutes will be less than 200GB. It makes a different if you use gradients , graphics (titles) and such. Uncompressed is hidden under Export timeline /Movie/settings/video tab and there should be some compression choice, choose none.
    DV avi export is a option also if what you have is just cuts of clips on the timeline and couple of subtitles, very little or no effets.

That huge uncompressed avi file or DV avi file import into prefered encoder. Mpeg encoder inside Premiere 6.5 is not that good as nowadays encoders, it is almous 10 years .....

Best mpeg2 encoder seems to be Procoder or Carbon Coder, but it is expensive.
    If you settle with HC encoder, don't forget to change colorspace for uncompressed avi like this:
    AviSource("C:\uncompressed.avi")
    ConvertToYV12(matrix="PC.709")
    otherwise colors would seem to be washed out. DV avi is YV12, so HC encoder would take it as it is:
    AviSource("C:\DV.avi")
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Everybody !

I have to say that I am very greatly surprised for the wise and quick replies I got. I am going to keep analising all of them in deep and get more aquanted with the terms I find in them because I still don t know all of this new soft wares that are being used now.

And all new suggestions or more advise about the former suggestions are more than welcome too.

Thank you all so much !!!!
    Quote Quote