VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hiya. I'm planning to invest in a new laptop, and wondering what a good GPU option is for smooth streaming of video from the laptop to an HDTV.

More specifically, would an i3 processor w/ Intel HD be sufficient, or should I be investing in a dedicated card?

I'm currently running an old T3200 w/ Intel Graphics, and playback, while not choppy, has a number of artifacts when transfered to my HDTV.

Thank you in advance for the help/suggestions!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Choice is a graphics chipset that supports NVIDIA "PureVideo HD or ATI "AVIVO HD". These will handle playback decode with no CPU load.

OR a CPU that can handle software decode.

My vote always goes to the graphics chipset so the CPU can be used for other tasks while watching TV.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. You want both a CPU and a GPU that can handle video decode. Because many people encode with h.264 settings that aren't supported by DXVA and the GPUs. Intel's current GPU chipsets can handle H.264, VC-1 and MPEG-2 decoding. So you're not limited to NVIDIA and ATI.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The message is don't buy the cheapest laptop. Understand your needs and match those to the right spec sheet. It is always more expensive to do this with a laptop vs. desktop/tower.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you so much for the responses.

I was wondering if you could weigh in on an i3 with a Radeon 6470M. It would be primarily for SD or 720p - just looking for a smooth playback without those annoying blipping artifacts.

Thanks again in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by serintin View Post
    I was wondering if you could weigh in on an i3 with a Radeon 6470M. It would be primarily for SD or 720p - just looking for a smooth playback without those annoying blipping artifacts.
    That should be adequate. Both the CPU and GPU can handle video decoding. So you can choose either.
    Last edited by jagabo; 4th May 2011 at 17:18.
    Quote Quote