VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys,

I need suggestions for headphones that can :

1. Output decent overall sound quality.
    2. Best possible external noise elimination at the price range.
    3. On-ear or over the ear design...(preferably snug fit so that it helps in minimizing external noise)
    4. Under $50

Reason for the need of noise cancellation :

My computer is in the living room along with the TV.The tv is on whole day.Although it is a fair distance away, I can still hear all kinds of sounds from the it. As a result i cannot really enjoy the music that i m listening to on the comp and neither can i concentrate on my work due to the irritating tv noise. I want the headphones to be capable enough to atleast get the sound down by 50%.

So should i get an active noise cancellation one or just a passive noise isolation one.?

Thank You
    Last edited by techspark; 4th May 2011 at 15:23.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Duh. Turn the TV off.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Over the ear works better. But I'd recommend Sennheiser whatever type you get.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Duh. Turn the TV off.
    Really ? Do you understand what living room is ? If you are not interested in providing a proper response to the thread, please dont take the pains to reply.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Over the ear works better. But I'd recommend Sennheiser whatever type you get.
    Thanx...can you recommend a specific model from Sennheiser ...how is hd 201 ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by techspark View Post
    Thanx...can you recommend a specific model from Sennheiser ...how is hd 201 ?
    Those aren't noise cancelling but the closed shell should give a fair attenuation of ambient noise. Something like the PXC 250 are noise cancelling and should work well for the noise from a TV in another room:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Active-Noise-Canceling-Headphones/dp/B000089GN2/

My experience is with the higher end models which are excellent.
    Quote Quote  
  7. ^^
    How much of difference will i see with the higher end models. Can you reccommend something under $100 which will show a significant improvement over the px 250. I dont like the size of px 250. I would prefer a full size, closed Circumaural type.

i like this http://www.amazon.com/Mobile-XQS-109-3-5mm-Cancelling-Headphones/dp/B003RDZDDG/ref=sr_...4539104&sr=1-2 but not too sure if i should be getting it.

Other than this i like sennheiser hd 428 but that again has passive noise cancellation.

Looking forward to your suggestions. Thank You.
    Quote Quote  
  8. ^^
    How much of difference will i see with the higher end models. Can you reccommend something under $100 which will show a significant improvement over the px 250. I dont like the size of px 250. I would prefer a full size, closed Circumaural type.

i like this http://www.amazon.com/Mobile-XQS-109-3-5mm-Cancelling-Headphones/dp/B003RDZDDG/ref=sr_...4539104&sr=1-2 but not too sure if i should be getting it.

Other than this i like sennheiser hd 428 put that again has passive noise cancellation.

Looking forward to your suggestions. Thank You.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You might also check out the microsoft lx-3000 headset.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by techspark View Post
    I don't know anything about those but the reveiws seem to be OK. I suspect the sound quality is inferior to Sennheisers. On the other hand, many people aren't looking for accurate sound, preferring more base, or more treble, or cool sounding phase distortion.

Originally Posted by techspark View Post
    Other than this i like sennheiser hd 428 put that again has passive noise cancellation.
    I pointed out the Sennheiser 250 earlier because you asked for on-the-ear headphones in the first post. The circumaural 428, though not noise cancelling, may have enough noise attenuation for you. And since it's passive it doesn't need batteries. Also consider the Sennheiser HD280. Sennheiser claims "up to 32 dB attenuation" for those. Every 10 dB equates to about double the perceived volume. So at -30 dB external noises would sound about ~1/8th as loud. Of course, it's qualified with "up to". Some frequencies are attenuated less than others and you need a good seal around the ears.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-280-Pro-Headphones/dp/B000065BPB/
    Last edited by jagabo; 5th May 2011 at 07:48.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks for the reply. Sorry i was away for a few days nd couldnt reply back soon.

I think i should stick to my under $50 budget. The sennheeiser 280 pro look awesome. But its hard to beleive that passive noise cancelling headphones can attenuate external noise upto 32db, although the reviews are pretty good. I would prefer not spending too much on headphones, can you suggest me any other model with good noise attenuation under $50. I will basically shortlist 3 of them and then try them at the local mall. Whichever sounds best to me i will take that . I think i have to choose between.

1. HD 428
    2. XQS 109
    3. ???

if it was hd 428 vs XQS 109, which one would you choose based on better noise attenuation ?? (i am fine with some comprise on quality if the attenuation works better.)
    Quote Quote  
  12. I don't have experience with the current low end Sennheiser models. All I can suggest is you listen to all the closed cup (for external noise attenuation) circumaural (on-ear headphones usually get uncomfortable after a while) headphones you can in your price range. If possible compare to a pair of high end Sennheisers (as your baseline for sound quality) and take some music you know very well.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Okay..thanx...i will post when I get.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Yes, I'd like to hear what you finally get and how it compared to the other choices.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you won't get much for under $50...maybe something that would satisfy a teen
    you need to be able to switch headphones instantly to compare
    since most retail setups don't include or want to open 6 boxes of headphones for this capability, it's pretty much a crapshoot
    Last edited by zoobie; 11th May 2011 at 12:10.
    Quote Quote