VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Greets all, new blood here. I'm about to undertake a project of converting a large number of VHS tapes and yes evena few BetaMax tapes and prepping them for storage on DVD and/or HDD.

Needles to say, I've found the info on such overwhelming so I hope y'all will be able to help me with questions I have as I go through the process.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Welcome. I'm NOT criticizing you for not having your location set up in your profile. I don't have mine set up either deliberately but when it's relevant I mention that I live in the USA. As you need help with this it most assuredly is relevant to know where you're from as with VHS and DVD we've got PAL and NTSC issues involved so keep that in mind and make sure you tell where you live or what TV format you are using. I would also advise you that the more information you provide about what you are doing, the more we can help you. Posting something like "My attempts to capture my VHS tapes are failing" when that's all you say doesn't do anybody any good. Lots of new members foolishly think that the less they say about what they are doing, the more help they will get. Actually it's the opposite.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    MrHawhn,i changed your title so people will know what help you will need in the future.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The simple method would be to connect the A/V out of each tape deck to the A/V in of a dvd recorder.

A less simple method would be to connect each tape deck A/V out to a video capture device A/V in and capture the video to your HD.

Welcome to the forum.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Be sure to check out the restoration forum. Chances are some of your tapes are old and could use a trick or two to bring them back to life. Some people produce DVD's from old tapes that rival what the studios can do.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Okay yeah I realize I should mention something about that. My location is NTSC. And for the most part my process will be going from VHS to HDD and from HDD to maybe DVD...

The Tapes themselves range in quality and recordings. Some are SP Recordings (graduation Ceremonies, Special Anniversarie) and others were done at SLP/EP. Old archives and what not.

The Beta stuff I haven't seen yet, really those aren't so much mine as something my uncle has asked me about.

So I gues that means I'll be using a capture card. I'm on a tight budget so I Gues the first question is Capture Cards... What should I be looking for?

Also thanks for the suggestion Video Head
    Last edited by MrHawhn; 3rd May 2011 at 20:06. Reason: Response
    Quote Quote