VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. I haven't been here in a while - miss the place. I have a new project to work on and need some basic help. I am going to be buying a new DSLR camera (for family photos and also for business). I plan to use the HD video capability to create video's for my business - to be posted on my website, maybe youtube and also distributed to clients/prospects on DVD. I also want to create my own Audi Business Card on CD.

My questions have to do mostly with the audio portion. In the past I used a camcorder (DV) and just used the internal mic because I wasn't doing anything business related so sound quality wasn't that important to me. Now, in looking into the more entry level DSLR Cameras I see some have internal mic only (Nikon D3100) and some have input for an external mic. The D3100 is perfect for us as a camera and as a family video recorder. However, I am wondering how I'd make business videos with higher quality audio with only an internal mic.

Would it make sense to have a separate audio record process altogether? Is there fairly inexpensive software that can record good quality audio to my PC? A mic that is good for under $100 or so?

Lastly, for a business card CD/DVD I'd want and Autoplay audio only CD that someone could just pop into their car CD player to listen to. So, I'd record the voice portion, maybe have some music background. How would this be done?

For viewing on their PC or TV I'd make a DVD with voice, music and maybe some slides/charts/graphs or the like. What software could work for this?

I have Magic MovieEdit Pro (Version 15 I think). I've only used it to make videos from camcorder footage and music. I really doubt it's what I'd want for any of these projects but not sure. MEP is a decent, basic video editing software for those who don't know what it is.

Thanks for any help ... process, software, hardware or whatever.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For the inexpensive audio program try the free Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/. For the video software you might try downloading the demo version of Sony Movie Studio Platnium and give it a whirl. It's a fairly basic, easy to use, software that might suit your needs. As far as the external mics go your kind of stuck with testing them as they are hit and miss.
    Quote Quote  
  3. OK, thanks. Checked Audacity and yes, it seems it should be fine for my needs, and free al well!

What about a decent microphone? I have done some research on this and there seems to be mixed reviews on usb mics. Some say I need a pre-amp for a more professional sound with a decent ($100) but not great mic. I'm looking for specific recommendations on this. It's for recording speach (radio show, podcast, etc.) so I'd want one that excels in that. $100 is reasonable for what I want to pay but less $$$ with good quality is fine!

Thx.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got a Microsoft headset for $39.99 at Office Depot, it's a USB headset, and I have no issues whatsoever.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Can you tell me which MS headset? USB connected? WHat software do you use with it to record? Waht quality level (podcast? CD?)?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's the packaging. It is USB & I have primarily used the sound recorder that came preinstalled in Windows 7. By far this is better than the one I replaced it with.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ms headset.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	4.78 MB
ID:	6701
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    May not be the best example as I don't speak alot. Here are a few random files. http://webpages.charter.net/lowellriggsiam/ (they'll be there long enough for you to check them out)
    Quote Quote