VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ok, so here's my problem. I'm trying to burn a movie, but when I convert it, and try to play it back before burning it, it is missing frames making the video look "choppy" or "jerky". After burning it it looks the same, so I know its not my DVD burner. Other movies convert fine. This particular movie is NTSC 23.976 FPS, and I'm using DVDstyler to burn (i've also tried AVStoDVD, same results). What could be causing this movie to convert improperly? After converting, I play it in VLC media player, and check the codec properties of the video... it says the fps is around 48. This doesn't seem right... but I loaded up some regular store-bought DVDs (like Iron Monkey 2) and they play just fine but in the codec properties it says they are also 48 fps. Any ideas for me? I'm really stumped and I'm on a deadline to get these DVDs done, but I'm stuck on this one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by KajDarkwind View Post
    Ok, so here's my problem. I'm trying to burn a movie
    And........no info on this movie? Video file? DVD? SVCD? BetaMax?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also the OP doesn't mention if he is burning a PAL or NTSC project.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm trying to burn it in NTSC, which is what its already in. Its a DVDrip, Xvid in this case, in .avi format, 640x288 resolution. Am I leaving out any other important info? Btw, burning it under AVStoDVD I get an error msg shortly after the video begins remultiplexing, saying "very low quantizer, bad Q estimation"(this error msg doesn't halt the conversion though). I'm not sure what that means, or if it's related, but other videos that convert ok don't give me such an error msg.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Who told you 640x288 was NTSC?
    Run the file through GSpot and see what is says.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Who told you 640x288 was NTSC?
    Unless I'm misunderstanding, I believe he said the AVI is 23.976fps, which would point to an NTSC source although, of course, the AVI itself is neither NTSC nor PAL.

Some samples might be helpful. Samples of the finished DVD and of the source AVI. No more than 10 well chosen seconds of each will be plenty. That means short samples with steady movement. Your GSpot suggestion is also a good one.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I've skipped that movie for now, and moved on. Other movies seem to be fine. I may go a different way with that particular movie, as I'm guessing its just a bad rip (I'm not the one who ripped it btw, or converted it to an avi. If I had I wouldn't be having this problem I'm sure). Thanks for trying to help though.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well if you open the avi in virtualdub and step through it one frame at a time, you should be able to tell
    if there are problems (such as duplicate frames).
    Make sure the avi file is "packed" first - you can use mpeg4 modifier to pack it necessary.
    Quote Quote