VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. To the OP:

If you're looking to go pretty cheap, want a great looking SD picture and a very good HDTV picture, have you thought about checking your local Craigslist for a HD 16:9 CRT? I have two of them -- the Sony KD-34XBR960 and XBR970. Both are great sets and can usually be had on Craigslist for $100 to $300. Most people reccomend getting one with the Super Fine Pitch Tube, but those have also known to be problem prone. Here is a good wiki article with all of the models listed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FD_Trinitron/WEGA

The Pros (as I see them):
    - Excellent SD picture (CRTs naturally suppress a lot of the noise inherent in LCDs, looks a lot better IMO)
    - Built in ATSC / OTA tuner (some models, off the top of my head the XBR970 has one)
    - Great contrast, black levels
    - Fully adjustable service menu (lots of information online of how to tweak the TV if you wish)
    - Beautiful HD picture as well

The Cons:
    - Heavy! (most 34" models weigh around 200lbs and are front heavy).
    - Smallish (the biggest you can get is a 34", wouldn't go lower than that)
    - Geometry issues on some sets
    - HD picture not as sharp as on LCD / Plasma HD sets

If you consider getting one, the first thing I would do is make sure it has no geometry issues that would be a deal breaker. Just test it in all the different modes and make sure it's up to par. The most common problem are bent lines at the bottom of the screen. Some of the geometry stuff is easily fixable through the service menu and other stuff is not.
    Last edited by robjv1; 3rd May 2011 at 15:08.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Even with SD digital cable odds are your local channels are available in HD (clear QAM). Connect the cable directly to the TV and scan for channels. You should get a bunch of them. If you do, then split the CATV signal (send one to the Cable box, one direct to the TV) and connect the cable box to the TV by the composite connections.
    Quote Quote