VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been using CCE SP for several years now, but just recently made the switch from XP to Windows 7 However, I noticed that the program can no longer recognize any AVI codecs except for a raw uncompressed file. I always used to be able to import pretty much anything that was in an AVI container, and I've probably used the program on about 10 different XP installations over the years without a hitch.

I usually make my MPEG-2 files from HuffYuv files, but now when I go to encode the video with SP it says "codec HFYU not found." Well, the codec is definitely installed on my machine as I've been using it!

So... I tried installing CCE using XP Mode in the Virtual Machine, but got exactly the same problem. It simply does not understand any codecs. I have both SP1 and SP2 (old and new versions), and I get the same results no matter what. What gives?

I really don't want to move back to using uncompressed AVI for obvious reasons, so any insight would be greatly appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you are running 64 bit Windows: 64 bit programs require 64 bit codecs, 32 bit programs require 32 bit codecs. In both cases you need to install a HuffYUV decoder, windows doesn't include one. And I'm pretty sure CCE requires VFW codecs, not DirectShow codecs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I used to use an old version of CCE but I long ago stopped using it and switched to HCenc. HCenc does work on 64 bit Windows 7 but you need to download the version 26 beta. Version 25 does not work.

Why are you encoding from AVI anyway? There are plenty of small form factor media players available to play AVI files.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Well, some things distracted me but here I am again at square one... Why can't CCE SP understand HuffYuv files in Windows 7?

I have tried EVERYTHING. As for the VFW codec issue, I am doing nothing different than I ever did in XP for years. I have tried using the traditional HuffYuv codecs as well as the one built into ffdshow (again, both worked in XP).

As for the 64-bit issue, I did try the 64-bit codec, but it's not what I would want anyway as CCE SP is a 32-bit program.

The reasons I would want to convert an AVI file? Last time I checked most things weren't being released in HuffYuv.

Anyway, I would really appreciate some insight here if anyone has it... Or is this just another one of those fun surprises we get from "upgrading" our operating system?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm using CCE SP 2.70.02.12 with no trouble on a Win7 32 bit system. I always feed AviSynth scripts into CCE, but I just tested using a Lagarith lossless YV12 AVI and it opened with no trouble. My suggestion is to open your files using AviSynth and a simple AviSource line for the video.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Well, I'd still be curious to figure out what the issue was, but after much trial and error it seems that Lagarith (v1.3.27) is going to be the answer as it works perfectly with CCE SP on my system.

It's just a bit odd as I did a "lossless video codec shootout" a couple years ago and for whatever reason was not impressed with Lagarith. Or maybe I had another compatibility issue...

At any rate, I'm seeing that HuffYuv and Lagarith are about equal in terms of encoding speed, and Lagarith compressed about 15% more efficiently in my initial tests, so it looks like I've found a working alternative!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    I'm using CCE SP 2.70.02.12 with no trouble on a Win7 32 bit system. I always feed AviSynth scripts into CCE, but I just tested using a Lagarith lossless YV12 AVI and it opened with no trouble. My suggestion is to open your files using AviSynth and a simple AviSource line for the video.
    Oh, and I swear I didn't see your post until just now.

Anyway, I'm not surprised Lagarith worked for you just now, but I would be curious how HuffYuv fares as I'm still trying to pinpoint the issue (XP vs. 7, 32-bit vs. 64-bit, or a combination of both).

I'm not using AviSynth, so it looks like our workflow is a little different... But thanks for the advice!
    Quote Quote