VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Can anyone help please? I have an HP Pavilion dv6-2030sa laptop with 8gb ram 320 hdd AMD Turion II dual core 2.30 ghz M520 processor running on Windows 7. Have been using Pro X2 successfully. Have been given an hd camcorder so thought I would change to Pro X4. Cannot get it to load successfully on my laptop at all. Have done all the usual things such as disable firewall and antivirus but with no success. Any ideas would be gratefully received.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you contacted http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Content/1152796555474 . Being a new program support should be able to help.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, I spoke to a lady at their support centre but to date she has not been able to help. She was trying to say the laptop was not powerful enough but it should certainly be able to load the program successfully even if it then struggles with the high def footage. I will have to try them again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you logged in as an administrator - or when you select the install program, right click and select "run as administrator".
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you very much for your replies. Yes, I am logged on as administrator. It has been helpful to realise other people are also experiencing problems with AVCHD files. I am beginning to wonder if I have a faulty installation disc as it seems to get three quarters the way thro installation until it says something like 'installing quicktime 5' then it suddenly finishes and says its installed. I then get a windows message saying the problem may not have installed correctly. Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It has already been suggested where you should post specific questions about Ulead/Corel products.

But a few things trouble me here.

1. You changed from X2 to X4 for HD authoring. X2 IIRC actually HAS HD authoring
    2. Why should an-to-date-program be attempting to install quicktime 5 ? That version is years old.

If you already have quicktime(and a version later than 5) installed then you should simply click on 'cancel' at that part of the installation - that is how it worked on older versions.

Even if you do not have quicktime installed, then still 'cancel' that part of the instalation and if the program still needs the support of it then download and install quicktime on its own. It is free.

Still having problems after that....

Now for a few questions if you wish to continue the thread here.

1. Are you attempting to install a clean version or an upgrade ?
    2. If it is a clean version, have you tried to completely remove the old version, including ALL registry entries, before installing the new one.
    3. Is your version of X2 a full version ?. If X4 is an upgrade then it will probably not install on anything but a full version.
    Last edited by DB83; 29th Apr 2011 at 16:21. Reason: addit comments about quicktime
    Quote Quote  
  7. Looking back thro old files on the computer I did find some X2 files still on there. The reason I decided to try X4 was that altho X2 worked well most of the time occasionally it would consistently refuse to burn discs and the only way to solve it was to untinstall and then reinstall again and also the two patches that made it work with Windows 7. It was only this recurring problem that made me think x4 would be better because it is Windows 7 compatible. I have been trying out some AVCHD footage in Serif Movie Plus 5 tonight and that has given a much better end result when burned to disc than I have been able to achieve with Corel. I have used Corel for many years and always been very pleased with it up until now. PS it may have been trying to install a track rather than quicktime (I can't remember exactly what it said now just that it seemed to finish installing rather abruptly at that point which made me wonder if not everything has installed).

My version of Pro X2 Ultimate is the full boxed version. My X4 is also a boxed full version.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Both products being full versions, I see no reason why they should not coexist on your HDD. I have several different versions of Ulead programs on mine and all work without issue(but read below).

I do not know how Win7 works but with XP a load of temporary files are installed in the 'Application Data' folder. These tended to stay when you un-installed and you had to manually remove them.

Now the guys over at the Corel forum may have a different opinion but I have also had many issues with the burning module on the various products which is why I stopped using that part of the program.

But let me give you one little tip. If an installation is failing you really need to be specific where it is failing otherwise no one, not even the tech people at Corel themselves, can help you.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thank you for that. The reason I feel the installation is not happening properly is that the first time I installed it I had quite a few dvd menu options when you reached that part of the operation. I had to uninstall it because the program stopped working and nothing seemed to get it started again so I thought, uninstall and reinstall like I've had to do with X2 and perhaps it would then be ok. Now all I have are 5 dvd menus. Also on X2 you have the option to select a burning speed and I always selected the slowest to enable the best end result. On X4 although the burning speed options are there they are all greyed out and not accessable. Has this feature actually been taken out on X4 or is it that the program has not installed fully? Also the sample videos, photos and music have only loaded as 1 video, 1 photo and 2 music tracks. When the program was first loaded there was a lot more of that. I have tried installing it 4 times now and have got no further. Do you have a fuller installation than this?
    Quote Quote  
  10. PS Also, once you have got the dvd menu created and select the preview section it is not possible to then go direct to the burning operation. The next button is greyed out. The only way forward is to go to the previous menu creation screen and then click next which will then take you thro to the burning process.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So it now seems that it is not only a matter of the installation but the operation of the program which is now 'working' - not the impression I had from your earlier posts.

It does not sound a logical approach to set a burn speed at installation and not have an option to change it.

Maybe I did not make it clear but I have never used X4 let alone X2. So, as I said earlier, these questions should really be put in the dedicated forum on the Corel site. The guys over there use these programs on a regular basis so they know their quirks - a 'next' button from preview may sound logical but it could well have been altered for technical reasons.

Now I do wonder, and it is only a guess, that you saw more samples in the earlier installation since it was also reading the samples from X2. If you uninstalled that, and the attached samples, then you are just now seeing what is in the basic x4 install. But, from memory, Corel also allow you to download further samples so you should look into that as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Run the uninstall on X2, delete the folder, run CCleaner on the registry, reboot the computer, install X4, and you should be fine.

NOTE: We'll assume that you haven't been dinking around and screwing up Windows.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Having talked to a very helpful lady at Corel today it would appear from the results of their scan of my computer system that Windows 7 has somehow got itself into a knot. The advice is to wipe the laptop clean and start again. I will do this with help at the weekend and then fingers crossed my installation problems will be solved.
    Quote Quote  
  14. If you are using Firefox as a browser, here is the quick answer:
    go to your control panel and uninstall the firefox addon called "Browser Manager."
    Now try Corel Video!
    I can't explain why this addon in Firebox causes Corel to crash, maybe someone can explain it.
    Quote Quote