VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

* I have a Projector that is up on the ceiling. It has HDMI input.
    * I have a Yamaha Receiver that does NOT have HDMI pass through. It has only Optical Audio Out and the regular Audio out.
    * I have a laptop that has BluRay drive and DisplayPort. I have a cable that can convert DisplayPort to HDMI. It has only Stereo headphones out (2 channels).

I am able to successfully watch Video from laptop to Projector. To get 7.1 audio from laptop to receiver (through Optical Out), I bought the so-called external USB 7.1 sound card. This is NOT true 7.1, in fact, it plays only 2.1 through Optical Out.

What can I do to get a TRUE 7.1 from laptop to Receiver?

Thanks!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    "external USB 7.1 sound card"? noname device?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought one from Ebay - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170490529523
    Click image for larger version

Name:	USB to 7.1 Ch with Cable - Ebay.JPG
Views:	1072
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	6622

and another one from CompUSA - http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4115644&CatId=2771 Click image for larger version

Name:	USB-SND8 8-Channel USB 2.0 External 7.1 - CompUSA.jpg
Views:	1156
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	6623

They both behave exactly the same - I will not be surprised if the internal components are from the same manufacturer as the drivers were the same.

Best option would be to split the Audio from HDMI cable and connect it into Optical Audio of Receiver. But I have not found such a splitter. Is there any other unconventional way to make this happen?

Thanks
    Quote Quote