VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone have any recommendations for Printable BDR media?

I am considering verbatim after I have had several RITEK BR2 disk go bad on me:

Memorex (Blue disk) RITEK BR2 burned 6/09. Have had 7 disks fail out of 15.

RiData (silver disk) RITEK BR2 burned 6/09 had 1 disk fail out of 4 checked.

RiData (printable disk) RITEK BR2. The oldest I have of these are from 4/10. I have not yet seen any failures. Scanned 4 disk using Nero Disk Speed all 4 clean.

I am wondering if these Verbatims would give the longetivity I am looking for:

http://www.meritline.com/verbatim-4x-blu-ray-datalifeplus-white-inkjet-printable---p-30268.aspx

I want to stay away from the LTH as this is a relatively new technology and prefer not to be a guinea pig at a small savings. I have learned my lesson on that route .
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    I've been using the Verbatim inorganic 4x disks for some time now, with no complaints. They seem to be a good combination of price/quality. But I haven't used these 6x printable disks you linked. You're paying quite a premium to get the printable version, as the regular 4x Verbatim are normally $2 a disk.

They are a bit less expensive at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-97339-DataLifePlus-Single-Layer-Recordable/dp/B004477BQ...791519&sr=8-15
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rysktkr View Post

I want to stay away from the LTH as this is a relatively new technology and prefer not to be a guinea pig at a small savings. I have learned my lesson on that route .
    I had that fear too. My Momitsu BluRay player is somewhat fussy and I wasn't very optimistic that LTH discs would work but I bought some Taiyo Yuden ones because I could play them on my PC and my brother's BluRay player should be OK for them too. The LTH discs have been working fine for me. My Momitsu plays them without a hitch. Oddly the burn side looks golden. That really surprised me as I expected that to be purple in color like all the other BD burnable discs I've seen. If you want to try the Taiyo Yuden LTH discs note that they are not hub printable and the surface is flat white and not glossy like with their Watershield line. I would expect Verbatim's printable BD discs to also have a flat white surface.

All of the newer BluRay players are really supposed to support LTH discs. It's just went you get into players a few years old that it starts getting iffy. It may not be much of a risk for you depending on how old your player is.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My biggest concern with the LTH is not so much that won't be compatible with some of the older BD players. Rather, I am more concerened with the longetivity. Two years down the road will they still be playable? I learned the hard way with the Ritek and will reburn the ones I am still able to copy. There just isn't enough history with the LTH yet to say whether they will be playable 2 yrs down the road. The non-LTH Verbatims seem to be good choice at this point (albeit more expensive).
    Quote Quote  
  5. I recommend these. I have used well over a hundred of the non-printable ones with great success!
    Quote Quote  
  6. I've been using the Microboards and haven't had any issues with them
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    My biggest concern with the LTH is not so much that won't be compatible with some of the older BD players. Rather, I am more concerened with the longetivity. Two years down the road will they still be playable?
    You're honestly worried that TAIYO YUDEN may have made a bad decision here? You do understand that I said that TY made those, right? I have ZERO worries that they won't play in 2 years but we will have to wait on that, won't we?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've tried many different brands of inexpensive inkjet printable BDR media (you get what you pay for), but found SmartBlu (SBR4WIH25, TDK MID code) works very well at 4X with my LG WH10LS30, even though Imgburn says the disks can go up to 8X. The LG is very particular about media. I may get 1 bad burn out of 25, which I can live with. You can find them at:

http://www.mediamegamall.com/smartblu-m-260.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Two years down the road will they still be playable?
    To even suggest such a thing is possible perpetuates a myth of media "dying".
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote