VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just ripped all my DVDs to VOBs... What should I convert them to so that I can stream from my Win7 Media Center to Xbox 360. I tried all weekend and nothing really worked too well.

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you are using the Xbox 360 as a media extender then you could remux your VOBs to .MPG or .DVR-MS.

There's very little difference between the two, except that .DVR-MS will allow full FF/RW seeking, whereas .MPG will only allow a 30 second back or forward skip.

Converting from .VOB to .MPG is quite easy using VOB2MPG. If you want to go from .MPG to .DVR-MS then ToDVRMS will do that.

If you are streaming to the Xbox's video library, then you will have to convert your VOBs to either AVI (XviD/DivX) or MP4, as MPEG 1 or 2 can't be streamed that way.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sweet!

FF/RW was my biggest issue cuz the girlfriend always passes out . Thanks a bunch!!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I understand your desire to use your Xbox since you've already got it but the Xbox was years ago rendered obsolete as a media player. It's your time to spend converting/remuxing your files but you could always buy a new streaming media player like from Western Digital or some other company and not have to convert anything.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Who decided that the Xbox 360 was "obsolete" as a media player?

The 360 is a fantastic media player, its only drawbacks are that you need Windows 7 to really make use of it, and the lack of MKV support, which can be quickly fixed by using XenonMKV to remux any files to MP4. Since I prefer to buy my movies rather than download them, MKV files are not a problem for me.

I plan to use my 360 as my main media player long into the foreseeable future, since I don't see a good reason to buy anything else yet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think jman98's point was its not an all in one standalone solution. It can't work without a pc for many of the high-end fancy codecs and formats. It is picky in that sense. And it needs to be streamed to for maximum effectiveness.

I would agree for a plug and play option without a computer involved is to get a standalone media player like the wdtv. That way you just plop the files on a harddrive and go.

But there is nothing wrong with the xbox 360 for many needs. As long as you have a computer in the same room or lan connected it is as versatile as anything else on the market. Just not a off the shelf media marvel like the harddrive media players.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    I would agree for a plug and play option without a computer involved is to get a standalone media player like the wdtv. That way you just plop the files on a harddrive and go.
    And plop them onto a hard drive with what?

Which ever media player you choose, there almost always has to be a computer involved somewhere.

I own a WDTV HD 1st generation which I managed to get working wirelessly with custom firmware. It took about a week before I went back to using the Xbox 360 extender again. I just missed the much better user interface.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mh2360
    And plop them onto a hard drive with what?

Which ever media player you choose, there almost always has to be a computer involved somewhere.
    All right smart guy you know I meant no computer needed DURING PLAYBACK

Originally Posted by mh2360
    It took about a week before I went back to using the Xbox 360 extender again. I just missed the much better user interface.It took about a week before I went back to using the Xbox 360 extender again. I just missed the much better user interface.
    I have a 1st gen wdtv also. I have finally been using it more regularly now. Saves a lot of discs and time. And with hdmi I don't need to author and burn avhcds from my hdpvr. It is a pretty basic interface I'll grant you that.

I wonder how the screens look on the newest LIVE PLUS models. I wonder if they have spruced them up a bit?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    I wonder how the screens look on the newest LIVE PLUS models. I wonder if they have spruced them up a bit?
    From what i've seen, it looks exactly the same as the 1st gen, but runs much faster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mh2360 View Post
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    From what i've seen, it looks exactly the same as the 1st gen, but runs much faster.
    So they let their gui creator go and just work on codec support??? Oh well.....
    Quote Quote