VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I bought my wife a Kodak Zi8 handheld video camera a month ago. She had wanted a smaller one (I thought our existing one was fine!) Anyway, my existing panasonic captured to .avi so no problems at all. This stupid new one only captures to .mov (why I have no idea but there's no option to change it). So here's my problem....Vegas Movie Studio (my editing software) won't allow me to import .mov files. I HATE THAT THIS IS SO COMPLICATED...well for me anyway.

So I suppose I could either convert each and every .mov file which sounds like a pain. Or I could find a software which will allow me to import both .avi and .mov.

I am thinking the better option would be the latter but would love your input and even a recommendation on a decent software if I have to move away from Vegas.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Movie Studio HD Platinum 10 will open and edit Zi8 .mov files without any problems. If your version will not, try using AviDemux to copy the audio and video streams into an mp4 container. Since no re-encoding is taking place, the process is very quick and there is no quality loss. Then see if your version of Vegas will open them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    THANKS! I am actually using an older version so this is a great reason to upgrade. I like the product and would love to continue using it so an upgrade is a perfect alternative!!!

Looks live version 9 does something too although it's confusing. Both say they import "Quicktime" but only version 10 states .mov explicitly. Is there a difference? Aren't quicktime and .mov synonomous?
    Last edited by atihelp; 25th Apr 2011 at 13:23.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by atihelp View Post
    THANKS! I am actually using an older version so this is a great reason to upgrade. I like the product and would love to continue using it so an upgrade is a perfect alternative!!!

Looks live version 9 does something too although it's confusing. Both say they import "Quicktime" but only version 10 states .mov explicitly. Is there a difference? Aren't quicktime and .mov synonomous?
    Best to get the latest version to get the latest camera formats. "Quicktime" and "mov" are only container formats, the actual video format also varies by camera model. There is a trend to h.264 but camera manufacturers get creative in their format variations. Editors must keep up with constant updates.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote