VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    For any seasoned blu ray rippers out there see if you can help with this one!

I've had some experience copying DVD's in the past and have never had any problems with the copy process or the playback of these movies through a normal DVD player. Recently i purchase a Blu Ray burner hoping to have some similar success but i'm finding things aren't going too smoothly!

I'm using an LG BH10LS30 Blu Ray burner in an external box connected via USB to my desktop. The desktop is a few years old but has recently had windows 7 installed. It has 1GB Ram with an Intel Celeron 2GHz processor. I'm using DVD Fab to rip the movie and then to copy it onto a blank Sony dual layer blu ray (imported from Japan). I'm trying to play these movies on a 6 month old Sony BDP-S470. Normal movies work without an issue on this player.

The copy process is successful every time and appears to work when you put the movie in but somewhere around the 3/4 mark on almost every movie it starts jamming and making ear piercing noises. Once this happens it will jam and restart the blu ray player. It always jams in the same spot in that movie and will normally happen for about 3-5 chapters before clearing up again.

My initial thoughts are that somethings going wrong when it copies into the second layer on the blu ray and it cant play that content back correctly. I've updated the firmware for the player and cant find any firmware update for the burner.

Any ideas where the problem is and how to fix it?????
    Last edited by David86; 24th Apr 2011 at 03:58.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What software are you using to burn the disc ? I would suggest Imgburn, which is also the preferred burning application for DL DVDs.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    DVD Fab does the rip and the burn. Have had no issues with this software ripping single & dual layer DVD's in the past but have always completed the process with DVD Shrink.
    Last edited by David86; 24th Apr 2011 at 05:54.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well you say the blank bluray discs you are using are imported from japan. Could that be part of the problem? I see you mention they do actually play. I'm not sure what the region setup is for bluray. I don't know if that impacts blank discs or not.

For starters have you tried burning with imgburn? Imgburn can burn bluray.

The other culprit always is the disc themselves. I would check for locally made bluray discs - or as close to your region as you can to ensure compatibility. I don't know if verbatim makes bluray discs or not - if they do I would try them next.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by David86 View Post
    DVD Fab does the rip and the burn. Have had no issues with this software ripping single & dual layer DVD's in the past but have always completed the process with DVD Shrink.
    DVD Shrink doesn't burn. What burning engine have you used with Shrink when burning DL DVDs ?

DVD Shrink ain't going to help you much with blurays.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Download the trial version of Anydvd,the trial version is fully functional.
    Use BDrebiulder to compress to BD25,set it to High Speed BD25 mode.
    By all means use Imgburn to burn BD25's.
    Your Celeron prosessor is not upto BR conversion,consider upgrading to a quad-core.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I agree as to trying single-layer BD25s. You can rip (or "clone", as their terminology has it) full disc in DVDFab, then load it in BDRB. If you select movie-only, and de-select unwanted streams, such as foreign language audio and subs, you'll find that most movies will now fit a single-layer BD25. If it still won't fit, re-encode the audio to 640 kbps AC3. Burn only with ImgBurn.

Unless and until you try the above, their will be strong suspicion that your burning methods are causing the problem. Single-layer discs are far more reliable and ImgBurn is the only program for burning recommended here. It's also possible that your DL discs will burn better with ImgBurn. Use the verification function as well.

I dunno how your Celeron will do with BD25 high speed mode in BDRB. But it's the quickest re-encoding option, if that is no-go, it just ain't happening. (Previous versions of BDRB would not re-encode if the content was small enough for target size. I just tried one, and it appears the present version will force re-encoding).

Good luck.

[EDIT] Alternatively, as a test, you can extract main movie from your rip with Clown_BD, keeping only one English audio and sub stream. You can re-encode the audio to 640 kbps at the same time. Burn to an SL disc with ImgBurn.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 24th Apr 2011 at 09:35.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    I gave imgburn a shot last night and have had mixed success. First movie ripped with DVD Fab and copied with imgburn at 1x speed worked and the playback was perfect. Second movie ripped with DVD Fab and copied to Blu Ray using imgburn at 2x speed failed during the process.

W 00:48:25 Failed to Read Sector 11605984 - Reason: Cannot Read Medium - Incompatible Format
    W 00:48:25 Sector 11605984 maps to File: \BDMV\STREAM\00800.m2ts
    W 09:24:00 Retrying (1)...
    W 09:24:03 Retry Failed - Reason: Cannot Read Medium - Incompatible Format
    W 09:24:13 Failed to Read Sector 11605984 - Reason: Cannot Read Medium - Incompatible Format
    W 09:24:13 Sector 11605984 maps to File: \BDMV\STREAM\00800.m2ts
    W 09:24:29 Failed to Read Sector 11607744 - Reason: Cannot Read Medium - Incompatible Format
    W 09:24:29 Sector 11607744 maps to File: \BDMV\STREAM\00800.m2ts
    E 09:24:32 Failed to Read Sector 11607744 - Reason: Cannot Read Medium - Incompatible Format
    E 09:24:32 Sector 11607744 maps to File: \BDMV\STREAM\00800.m2ts
    E 09:24:33 Failed to Verify Sectors!

After throwing this disc in the bin i thought i might give it a shot anyway to see what the problem would be and was suprised to find that it works perfectly. Any idea why this may have happened?
    Last edited by David86; 24th Apr 2011 at 20:06.
    Quote Quote