VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is it possible to convert any video/audio file to real media rm/rmvb using ffmpeg.
    I found this stuff - go to 4. Tips http://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-doc.html

• ffmpeg -g 3 -r 3 -t 10 -b 50k -s qcif -f rv10 /tmp/b.rm

This command dosn't work for me
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by euphonic View Post
    Is it possible to convert any video/audio file to real media rm/rmvb using ffmpeg.

I found this stuff - go to 4. Tips http://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-doc.html
    ffmpeg -g 3 -r 3 -t 10 -b 50k -s qcif -f rv10 /tmp/b.rm
    This command dosn't work for me
    The example from ffmpeg.org isn't very helpful. You need to specify an input video with the '-i' option. Also, with the example you posted, ffmpeg says ''rv10' 'isn't a suitable output format'.

Why do you particularly want to encode to Real Media? Have you considered .mp4 (h264/avc)?

What frame rate, resolution and bitrate do you want the video to be?

This seems to work:
    ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -g 3 -r 10 -qscale 8 -s qcif -ac 1 -vcodec rv10 -acodec real_144 -f rm output.rm
    (although I haven't got RealPlayer on my computer, so I can't see if it produces fully compliant video)
    *replace 'input.mp4' with the name of the file want to convert and change 'output.rm' to whatever you want, as long as it ends with .rm
    ffmpeg should output a file that is:
    - 10fps
    - ~200kbit/s
    - 176x144 pixels
    - 1 channel audio (mono) 22.05KHz
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1/ This forum is not for ffmpeg, but for ffmpegX, the Mac GUI front end to ffmpeg, mencoder and mpeg2enc.

2/ The command line you provided is an example tip for streaming at very low bitrate application, illustrating the use of a low frame rate (-r 3) and a small GOP size (-g 3). It also writes to the tmp directory. And it doesn't specify an input.

3/ My copy of command line ffmpeg (0.6.1) can DECODE Real Media (upto RealVideo 4.0/RealAudio 2.0), but only ENCODE to RealVideo 1.0 and RealVideo 2.0 (video only).
    See ffmpeg -formats and ffmpeg -codecs to see supported formats and supported codecs for your version. Make note of the letters 'D' and 'E' for decoding ability and encoding ability.

4/ Are people still using RealMedia?
    Quote Quote