VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello -- I'm interested in simply editing/cutting the start and end points of a Blu-ray title. Both Nero Recode and DVD Shrink have been great at doing this for DVDs -- but it seems like they don't work for Blu-rays....

Is there a prog for BR that can quickly "analyze" a title and allow me to edit -- instead of first ripping the entire disc to my HD?

Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. No reply yet, huh?

I'm not aware of any all-in-one that can cut and remap, then output a new BD structure. Certainly not any freeware. Lots of ways to do it manually, and you can even re-insert an edited title back into a full structure (with non-java menus) using multiAVCHD or BDEdit.

I've done a few, movie-only, extracting main movie with Clown_BD (to join the *.m2ts files primarily, if there are more than one). Then open the *.m2ts file in tsSniper, cut out whatever isn't wanted, and output a new *.ts file. Then author to Blu-Ray with tsMuxer, manually entering new chapter marks or just setting one every 5 minutes or whatever.

But something along the lines of DVDShrink or Recode? I don't think so.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Blu-rays have a much more complex structure than DVDs. See 'WHAT IS' Blu-ray' to the upper left on this page.

You can demux the main movie and maybe edit that, then put it back into a BD format, but it wouldn't be easy or simple to do like with DVDShrink.
    Quote Quote  
  4. fritzi93, redwudz -- thanks for your replies!

damn, i thought that editing BRs would be as simple as DVDs. didn't think they would be so different from each other...

so which easy programs (free or pay) can I use to just extract a scene from a BR movie?

thanks again for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Several ways to extract the BD files. I rip the entire BD to my hard drive using AnyDVD HD. Then I use tsMuxeRGUI to extract the main movie and audio. It can trim the start or ends of a file, though I haven't tried that. If you wanted to do more complex editing, then you need an editor that can handle .ts streams from tsMuxeR. Try TSSniper or maybe AVIDemux.

A problem with any highly compressed format like the H.264 that is used with Blu-rays is that frame accurate editing is very difficult. Mostly you can only cut on keyframes (I frames) and they are widely spaced with highly compressed video. For example Xvid/Divx uses about a 300 frames keyframe spacing. That's what makes accurate editing difficult. Those formats weren't designed for editing, just high compression and space saving.

The second problem is dealing with the huge filesizes. 20 - 30GB files sizes are fairly common.

After you've done your editing, then if you want a Blu-ray that would play on a standard BD player, you would need a Blu-ray burner, BD media and a BD authoring program. Maybe multiAVCHD. Burn to BD disc with ImgBurn.

All the programs I mentioned are freeware, (Except AnyDVD HD, but you can try the freeware DVDfab HD) so the only costs would be the BD burner and the BD media. And there are other ways and other programs that may work better or easier. I leave that to others to suggest.

There's a fairly sharp learning curve to doing all this, so I hope it's worth the effort.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Clown_BD can split by chapter. Other than that, you'll have to do it the hard way. (There are a couple payware h264 editors that claim to be frame-accurate, but I can't vouch for that. Supposedly only the area at the cuts will be re-encoded as necessary.) You can make pretty good cuts using tsSniper with a little practice, but not frame-accurate. It works best when you can cut at a few black frames.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  7. redwudz, fritzi93,

thanks again for your posts! i'm going to check out the apps you both mentioned.

appreciate the help!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    Clown_BD can split by chapter. Other than that, you'll have to do it the hard way. (There are a couple payware h264 editors that claim to be frame-accurate, but I can't vouch for that. Supposedly only the area at the cuts will be re-encoded as necessary.) You can make pretty good cuts using tsSniper with a little practice, but not frame-accurate. It works best when you can cut at a few black frames.
    Hi,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but you mentioned that ClownBD can split by chapter.
    In order to pull out a chapter from a BD do I need to rip the entire movie to hard drive as an ISO/Folder with something like AnyDVD HD, or will ClownBD rip it straight from the BD disc.
    The only reason why I ask is that I'm pretty sure that when I have ripped a BD with AnyDVD HD it doesn't keep the chapters but just rips the main movie as one big file.
    Please enlighten me as I want to create a demo DVD-9 with various chapters form different BD's as I used to do with DVD's and DVDShrink - that was so easy

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    AnyDVD HD rips the whole BD, everything, minus the encryption. There are some setting for ignoring trailers or disabling BD Live.

With other programs you can extract just the parts you want. tsMuxeR for one. I use it for extracting extras at times. I don't think it can separate by chapters.

RipBot does just extract and re-encode the main movie.

I don't use ClownBD, so someone else can answer that.
    Quote Quote