VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 22
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello

I searched a lot on the internet about stripping HDCP encryption from HDMI signals and I got messages created in 2007. Are there, in 2011, HDCP strippers available on the market ? (without the question if it's legal or not) I know there was a product (I don't know the name) in 2007 and today there is the HDFury. The HDFury creates a HDMI-Component connection while stripping HDCP but they don't provide HDMI in <-> HDMI out. Is it possible today to strip the HDCP encryption (for legal purposes) ? And if there are no products on the market, are there other ways ?

Thanks in advance

2. Yes, it's possible to get HDCP strippers that output HDMI, but no in the USA. A few years ago CurtPalme.com and Monoprice.com were selling the Mux HD but it appears they got DMCA letters and have dropped the product. Moome, the developer of the device, also seems to have been disappeared lately. www.moomecard.com doesn't seem to work anymore.

3. Member
    Search PM
    I live in Europe. Does anybody know a working HDCP stripper?

drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Yes, it's possible to get HDCP strippers that output HDMI, but no in the USA. A few years ago CurtPalme.com and Monoprice.com were selling the Mux HD but it appears they got DMCA letters and have dropped the product. Moome, the developer of the device, also seems to have been disappeared lately. www.moomecard.com doesn't seem to work anymore.
    I don't know how old that page might be, but it just now loaded for me.
    The question would then be whether there is remaining stock and whether the orders apparatus still functions. Maybe a pricey gamble, if your $$ disappears into a black hole.
    Anyone who gets some definite, current info about this, please let us know.

Was this gizmo based on genuine but hacked keys -- that would always be subject to revocation -- like the HD Fury ? If so, this could render the investment worthless.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.

5. Member
    Search Comp PM

6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The weblink works me too just like for Seeker47, but his advice is quite sound I think. For what it's worth there is an active forum on the website that Moome himself participated in as late as Tuesday.

jagabo - By any chance do you have AT&T as an internet provider? The reason I am asking is that I do and I know that they definite censor their DNS service. It could be that your provider is simply not allowing you to connect as the site is on their DNS blacklist. If you still can't get in, switch your DNS to OpenDNS. There's no charge. All you have to do is use 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 as your DNS servers and you may find you can access the site again.

Not to digress, but from a legal standpoint it is potentially insane for AT&T to do this censoring as they are probably throwing away their "safe harbor" defense as a common carrier by doing this.

7. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    I don't know how old that page might be, but it just now loaded for me.
    Yes, it's working now. It wasn't working when I posted that.

Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    The question would then be whether there is remaining stock and whether the orders apparatus still functions. Maybe a pricey gamble, if your $$ disappears into a black hole.
    Anyone who gets some definite, current info about this, please let us know.
    Someone posted here a few days ago (he seemed to know Moome or to have spoken to him) saying a new device was soon to be released.

<edit>
    found it: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/329139-Hauppauge-Colossus-HD-PVR?p=2072022&viewfull=1#post2072022
    </edit>

Was this gizmo based on genuine but hacked keys -- that would always be subject to revocation -- like the HD Fury ? If so, this could render the investment worthless.
    The guy referenced above claims it's not the case, but I believe the Mux HD was based on keys stolen from popular Samsung and/or Sony TVs, making revocation unlikely. At least in the short term. And of course, the HDCP master key was discovered a while ago so it's possible to generate an infinite number of working keys now. In theory, an HDCP stripper could be developed with the ability to update keys.
    Last edited by jagabo; 21st Apr 2011 at 18:38.

drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    jagabo - By any chance do you have AT&T as an internet provider? The reason I am asking is that I do and I know that they definite censor their DNS service. It could be that your provider is simply not allowing you to connect as the site is on their DNS blacklist. If you still can't get in, switch your DNS to OpenDNS. There's no charge. All you have to do is use 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 as your DNS servers and you may find you can access the site again.
    I knew that some providers had dropped their support for things like Usenet newsgroups, but WOW, I had no idea about this !

Originally Posted by jman98
    The guy referenced above claims it's not the case, but I believe the Mux HD was based on keys stolen from popular Samsung and/or Sony TVs, making revocation unlikely. At least in the short term. And of course, the HDCP master key was discovered a while ago so it's possible to generate an infinite number of working keys now. In theory, an HDCP stripper could be developed with the ability to update keys.
    Well, that's some good news, at least.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.

9. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    the HDCP master key was discovered a while ago so it's possible to generate an infinite number of working keys now.
    Well, that's some good news, at least.
    Here's one of the articles about it:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/16/confirmed-intel-says-hdcp-master-key-crack-is-real/

Actually, it's not an infinite number of keys that can be generated. I'm sure there's a limit on the number of digits. In any case, it's a large number of keys.

10. Member
    Search PM
    I've sent a mail to Moome but I have not seen the product (Mux HD) so I think it isn't available yet? Are there people on this forum that have such a device?

11. Originally Posted by Michielvsb View Post
    I've sent a mail to Moome but I have not seen the product (Mux HD) so I think it isn't available yet? Are there people on this forum that have such a device?
    Let us know what you find.

Originally Posted by Moontrash View Post
    The HDFury is good if you want analog output (component video, RBB). It doesn't give digital output (HDMI) though.

12. Member
    Search PM
    At the moment on Moome's site there are only products like the HDFury (hdmi in - component/vga out)

13. Yes, from what I hear, you have to email Moome directly to get information about the digital in/digital out product.

14. Member
    Search PM
    I was reading a text about blacklists on HDCP-devices such as Blu-Ray-players. So it is possible that the HDCP-stripper is recognized by the device and not usable anymore? Or is it possible to generate every time a new unique device ID to avoid this?

15. Yes, HDCP keys can be revoked. So an HDCP stripper whose key can't be changed can become useless. But since the HDCP master keys were recently found it's possible to generate new keys at any time. In theory, that makes it possible to create an HDCP stripper whose key can be updated to get around revocation.

16. Member
    Search PM
    While I'm reading your answer, I think the products that are today on the market (HDFury, Moome, ...) aren't capable to update their own keys?

17. I suspect that is correct.

18. Member
    Search PM
    So is it worth the money as it can become unusable ?

http://dme.ghost2.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=266341#266341

Here is an interesting topic about this subject. Can someone who has more knowledge read this post and verify if it's correct what's he talking about?
    Last edited by Michielvsb; 22nd Apr 2011 at 17:17.

19. No one knows any of this with absolute certainty. Odds are that HD Fury thread is correct, and revocation would not be worth the trouble for "them" to implement. But: there is a huge HUGE amount of money riding on and invested in these protection systems. If the entertainment industry feels threatened enough, they are fully capable of burning every consumer of every TV and player device made in the last five years: don't think for one second they would hesitate to re-engineer the whole magilla. Is it likely? No, very probably not. But I put nothing past Hollywood, not after they managed to get the "analog sunset" shoved down our throats.

Your "stripper" question is separate from the "key" question to some degree. There is a market for an HDMI>analog device like the HD Fury, that market will explode tenfold when the "analog sunset" takes effect in a couple years. But there is no market I can see for an HDMI>HDMI stripper: what would you do with it? There are no recording devices with HDMI input, only analog. Its easier to use something like the HD Fury if your end goal is recording. Personally I find the Fury to be an overpriced little dongle, that you still have to hang a wall wart power brick from and that still needs a good quality component>composite>S-video adapter to hang off it. I'm not keen on managing a $500 collection of dongles and power bricks just to enable simple day-to-day recording. I'll be waiting for a one-box HDMI>component>composite>S-Video converter: a few prototypes are available now, others of better quality should follow. If they don't, we'll be stuck using the HD Fury + additional converters: workable, but not a picnic. My cousin is currently testing such a setup because he's paranoid he won't be able to buy this hardware later on. From what I've seen, its a PITA: I'll take my chances and wait.

Search PM
    There are no recording devices with HDMI input, only analog.
    Blackmagic Intensity, among others.

Scott

21. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    I was going to point that out, but decided he was talking about stand alone recorders. Ie, there's no VCR-like device for recording HDMI video.

22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    I was going to point that out, but decided he was talking about stand alone recorders. Ie, there's no VCR-like device for recording HDMI video.
    And the Black magic doesn't work with HDCP.

23. Yes, I did forget the Intensity, its one of so very few devices with HDMI-input that it slips the mind unless you own one. Its true, I was thinking more in terms of standalone recorders, but that's my bias showing: anyone who's asking about "strippers" is clearly planning to use something like the Black Magic Intensity. Personally, I'd rather sleep in an airport during a three day snowstorm than deal with PC capture, but the majority here seem to prefer gear like the Intensity.

24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if none of these methods work or there's no method that works...how are these guys online putting up these movies that are HDTV Rips? What are they using to rip the titles from MGM HD and HDnet etc?

25. Member
    Search PM
    @orsetto: I have a BlackMagic Intensity Pro in my computer for capping. At the moment I capture component, but it would be nice to capture HDMI (without analogue ....) and because capture cards don't support HDCP, a HDMI stripper is the only way to capture HDMI.

@Moontrash: I think sceners use satellite-tv to capture.
    Last edited by Michielvsb; 23rd Apr 2011 at 09:06.

26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    wouldnt that still mean the signal was encrypted? if it came from satellite? they'd have to use some kind of hardware to get it wouldn't they?

27. Originally Posted by Moontrash View Post
    wouldnt that still mean the signal was encrypted? if it came from satellite? they'd have to use some kind of hardware to get it wouldn't they?
    Some older versions of Tivo in the USA save the decrypted video and allow transfer to a PC. Some satellite broadcasts outside the USA are unencrypted. Some capture cards, like Hauppauge's HD PVR, ignore Macrovision and will happily record any analog video source.

There are still many holes in Hollywood's quest for complete control. But they are slowly closing. Newer Tivo's don't allow transfer to a PC. Newer non-USA satellite broadcasts are encrypted and the PVRs don't allow export. Blu-ray players manufactured after 2012 won't be allowed to output analog video at all. Etc.

28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i had no idea. I thought there was just a hardware device capturing this stuff to a pc thru an intesity pro or other capable HDMI card. Also thought by now there would be a capable device to un-encrypt stuff. The way it sounds, most should be happy with the ability to decrypt the disc(BR/dvd) itself. Only caveat or drawback is the old movies or rare ones that never made it to disc or digital format. Like file sharing though, I imagine there will be a workaround in the making for this stuff...there always is

29. Member
    Search PM
    How about the versions of HDMI? Can it be a problem if the HDCP-stripper doesn't support HDMI 1.3 if the device outputs that? Or will it just handle with the capacities of the lower HDMI versions ?

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Michielvsb View Post
    How about the versions of HDMI? Can it be a problem if the HDCP-stripper doesn't support HDMI 1.3 if the device outputs that? Or will it just handle with the capacities of the lower HDMI versions ?
    Its up to 1.4 now with 3d bluray.

It would probably only recognize its "stated" version and below and not see anything higher. I think there were also a and b versions of 1.3.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?