VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 21 of 22
FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Well, the reviews suggest it does strip HDCP.
    As always be certain that the output parameters and the input parameters match exactly. To wit, you must set the H. Colossus capture settings to be identical to the output signal of the Uverse DVR.

Search PM
    Originally Posted by TruTex View Post
    I have just received and tried a ViewHD VHD-pro4x2i splitter [...]
    The boards are filled with info that this splitter will strip HDCP, does it?
    I've never seen anyone mention that device (ViewHD Prosumer Ultra HD / 4K HDMI 4x2 Full Matrix | VHD-PRO4X2i with Advanced Audio Features) before, either affirmative or negative. The ViewHD splitter that most of us have is the VHD-1X2MN3D; the purchase link has been posted many times in this thread.

3. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you much for replies. Amazon ratings and other boards state the thing will strip HDCP. I will look for the link and try the one recommended here.
    Thanks again!

Search PM
    Amazon groups together the reviews from all 7 devices that are listed on that page. To Amazon's database, they are just different "colors".

All of the reviews on the front page are for "Color Name: HDMI 1x2 Mini Splitter | VHD-1X2MN3D". Is there a review specifically for the VHD-PRO4X2i that says it strips HDCP?

5. Member
    Search PM
    Have found this thread very useful. I've been looking for a HDMI splitter that strips HDCP so that I can capture my Sky HD (here in the UK) to my Mac via the Hauppauge PVR 2 GE Plus. After an unsuccessful attempt with a Neet splitter I've just received this one which is working great straight out of the packet.

6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, here is a bit of a different animal. My bud switched cable companies and is now unable to record anything due to copy protection on many of the channels that were previously available to him with the other cable company. To restore this functionality, we have been looking at a couple of things.

This one:

http://www.amazon.ca/ViewHD-Composite-Video-Converter-Model/dp/B00LK95VNQ/ref=sr_1_3?i...eywords=ViewHD

This would output to SD composite which is what he needs. Unknown if it will also break the HDCP, though it is a ViewHD product.

Or else, a couple devices hooked together:

http://www.amazon.ca/ViewHD-Composite-Video-Converter-Model/dp/B00LK95VNQ/ref=sr_1_3?i...eywords=ViewHD

and:

http://www.amazon.ca/ViewHD-HDMI-Splitter-1x2-1080P/dp/B004F9LVXC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&q...eywords=ViewHD

Anyone doing something similar? Beware, I have reports that other cable systems in other countries in North and South America are doing the same...running "no copy" flags on every channel, including (of all things) weather and religious channels! Smacks of laziness on the part of the provider as the originating signal isn't copy protected at all. I can see for VOD or Pay TV channels but otherwise OTA network TV channels?? Come on...

Any other solutions and comments most welcome...

7. Originally Posted by BigEasy View Post
    Have found this thread very useful. I've been looking for a HDMI splitter that strips HDCP so that I can capture my Sky HD (here in the UK) to my Mac via the Hauppauge PVR 2 GE Plus. After an unsuccessful attempt with a Neet splitter I've just received this one which is working great straight out of the packet.
    Have just bought this one and it does not appear to strip HDCP from Sky HD.

Could someone please advise on correct connections in case I have got it wrong.

Thanks in advance

8. I just bought the Etekcity 1x2 HDMI Splitter to use with the Hauppauge HD PVR 2 (1512) for recording TV from my Xfinity X1 cable box. Anyone used it? I haven't seen any comments about that model in this thread, although a few of the Amazon reviews suggests that it does strip HDCP.

It should arrive tomorrow, I'll report back with the results then

EDIT: Just set everything up and it works great!
    Last edited by Mycrally; 20th Apr 2015 at 21:53.

9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looking to purchase another ViewHD as backup and am interested in slightly future-proofing via the VHD-Pluto model. Has anyone here yet had practical experience with this newer unit and able to offer a thumbs-up (or down) in terms of stripping. heat, etc.?

Btw, it looks like the original (VHD-1X2MN3D) is currently selling at a premium on Amazon ($71+). Hopefully it's simply a condition that the reasonable seller (JR Galaxies) is temporarily OOS especially if Pluto turns out to be crippled.
    Last edited by Golem; 22nd Apr 2015 at 13:56. Reason: sp

10. Originally Posted by Golem View Post
    Looking to purchase another ViewHD as backup and am interested in slightly future-proofing via the VHD-Pluto model.
    Unless it supports HDMI 2.2 encryption there's not much future proofing.
    http://www.cnet.com/news/hdcp-2-2-what-you-need-to-know/

11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Unless it supports HDMI 2.2 encryption there's not much future proofing.
    http://www.cnet.com/news/hdcp-2-2-what-you-need-to-know/
    Interesting info. Thanks fore the heads-up. It didn't state but I'm guessing 2.2 will use the same connector making cable box changes not required, possibly just firmware updates. If it were a hardware-only solution the cable companies would surely slow-roll the changeover.

In reality it seems I can save a few dollars on the backup unit as VHD-1X2MN3D provides all the benefits I'll likely ever need until a completely new scheme will be required. Since 100% satisfactory results were achieved using the unit I bought through JR Galaxies via Amazon I'm really hoping to see them offer it again at the $24 (shipped) price point before I get too antsy and pull the trigger through e-Bay.

12. Originally Posted by Golem View Post
    Interesting info. Thanks fore the heads-up. It didn't state but I'm guessing 2.2 will use the same connector making cable box changes not required, possibly just firmware updates. If it were a hardware-only solution the cable companies would surely slow-roll the changeover.
    I think not, it states quite the opposite in the article

You don't need to ditch your gear just yet. HDCP 2.2 is essentially about UltraHD 4K copy protection
    There's no firmware upgrade that will get 2.2 working on a non-2.2 product. At least, not on a product that wasn't designed with at least some idea about 2.2.
    Your current devices will work fine with new HDCP 2.2 devices, presuming you're not trying to send content with 2.2. As in, your current Blu-ray player will send 1080p to a 2.2-enabled receiver, or to a 4K TV, with no issues.
    One other interesting change with 2.2 is a "locality check." The source sends a signal to the sink, and if the sink doesn't get that signal within 20ms, the source kills the connection.

13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by badyu17 View Post
    Ha, got me. That's what I get for speed-reading the article.

Since I doubt any of the Moto boxes currently supplied by Comcast are anywhere near 2.2 ready/compliant it is likely to be some time before it gets adopted unlike that of consumer A/V component manufactures which will no doubt be happy to make the required change in order to sell more product. Luckily for me this means I could go with either of the ViewHD models and be satisfied since my only application for them is cable recording which is unlikely to see 4k any time soon. On the other hand, there's always Xfinity internet OnDemand and other streaming entities offering (or soon to offer) 4K so that could make the VHD-Pluto attractive.

14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Golem View Post
    Originally Posted by badyu17 View Post
    Ha, got me. That's what I get for speed-reading the article.

Since I doubt any of the Moto boxes currently supplied by Comcast are anywhere near 2.2 ready/compliant it is likely to be some time before it gets adopted unlike that of consumer A/V component manufactures which will no doubt be happy to make the required change in order to sell more product. Luckily for me this means I could go with either of the ViewHD models and be satisfied since my only application for them is cable recording which is unlikely to see 4k any time soon. On the other hand, there's always Xfinity internet OnDemand and other streaming entities offering (or soon to offer) 4K so that could make the VHD-Pluto attractive.
    Amazon often lumps reviews for several similar products from the same brand together. They have done that with the ViewHD splitters. There are lots of reviews for the VHD-1X2MN3D and VHD-3D1X4 (both good), but fewer for the VHD Pluto. I could find nothing to indicate the VHD Pluto helps with HDCP issues. Plus, I recently replied to a thread where someone bought what looked like the same thing as the VHD Pluto, and it did not work as a solution for HDCP.

15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    [SNIP]... Plus, I recently replied to a thread where someone bought what looked like the same thing as the VHD Pluto, and it did not work as a solution for HDCP.
    Thanks for the info.

Think I'll err on the side of known quantity. As I'm not an over-the-top videophile 4K for me is more likely to be used for computer monitor purposes (work flow) than TV/Video so VHD-1X2MN3D it will be for my backup hardware.

16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does use of a VHD-1X2MN3D negate the need for PlayReady in WMC? Finally prepping to test out a few PVR apps and notice WMC keeps wanting to install PlayReady but fails. Figure if it's not really required I'll bypass troubleshooting (unless PlayReady remains required for scheduling/recording cable TV which is all the PVR/Colossus will be used for).

17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does use of a VHD-1X2MN3D negate the need for PlayReady in WMC? Finally prepping to test out a few PVR apps and notice WMC keeps wanting to install PlayReady but fails. Figure if it's not really required I'll bypass troubleshooting (unless PlayReady remains required for scheduling/recording cable TV which is all the PVR/Colossus will be used for).
    I suspect that PlayReady is required to set up WMC for recording cable TV, since paid TV service providers can mark programming "copy-once", and I did install PlayReady for both the Colossus and the HDHomeRun Prime. As far as WMC knows, the Colossus is a digital tuner. (The purpose of Hauppauge's WMC plugin is to make the Colossus look like a digital tuner, instead of a capture device. WMC does not recognize capture-only devices.)

Check to see that the PC's time, time zone and date are correct. If the time, time zone or date are incorrect PlayReady may not install.

18. Without PlayReady WMC will not decrypt or play encrypted QAM channels.

19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Much appreciate the info guys! Thanks for reminding me VHD-1X2MN3D is taking care of copy-flag only.

Yeah, time/date data is correct. A quick glance at the net provides a number of possible cause/correction scenarios for the failure of PlayReady to update so it shouldn't be a difficult fix. Will tackle it later this evening as soon as the current WinTV-8 scheduled recordings are finished. Will post in the Colossus thread if it gets ornery.

20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Much appreciate the info guys! Thanks for reminding me VHD-1X2MN3D is taking care of copy-flag only.
    Not exactly. A set-top box or DVR can apply HDCP to its HDMI signal even for copy-freely channels. All the channels in my package are copy-freely, since NextPVR allows me to record all of them using my CableCARD tuner. (NextPVR won't record channels that are marked "copy-once" or "copy-never".) Even so, I still needed the VHD-1X2MN3D to record from HDMI using the Hauppauge Colossus.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th May 2015 at 20:44.

21. Member
    Search PM
    I just received a VHD-1X2MN3D from AMAZON and it does strip HDCP.
    It is plugged into a Blackmagicdesign, ATEM Television studio, and the picture form my Oppo bluray does show up!
    The source set to direct or 1080i as on 1080p it won't work.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ViewHD-HDMI-Splitter-1x2-VHD-1X2HSACi/dp/B00L0X2GIU
    http://www.u9ltd.com/collections/splitter/products/vhd-1x2mn3d

22. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Click image for larger version

Name:	HDMI 1x2 mini black.JPG
Views:	2964
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	32296

I purchased one of these tiny splitters from eBay way back on Jan 18 for $7.32 shipped from "bessky_store". This particular listing was called "Hottest View HD HDMI Switch Splitter 1 Input to 2 Output 1x2 in mini Case".

I can't remember whether I've seen other posts about this particular model anywhere. For me, it does properly strip HDCP from my PS3 and protected sources on my WD TV Live. I tested with the Intensity Pro 4K and my Samsung HDTV as the outputs, with the splitter being powered only via HDMI.

All's well with RGB output. When I switch to the WD TV Live's YCbCr mode, I get this weird green-tinged output. It also happens when the splitter is connected to only the TV, or only the capture card, so it's not specific to either of those devices.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HDMI mini splitter - YCbCr weirdness [IP4K TGA].png
Views:	354
Size:	589.6 KB
ID:	32297

It happens with every resolution I tried (1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, all @60). Sometimes when changing resolutions, rather than the green video, my TV would just show its "Mode Not Supported" error screen. Unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable at the splitter's input jack is sufficient to clear both issues, but the problem sometimes reappears on its own when an EDID negotiation happens, necessitating another unplug-replug cycle. One example is exiting the WD TV Live's Netflix app: it goes from HDCP mode to unprotected mode, and when I exited, everything went green.

I tried plugging the USB cable into my TV to see whether providing power that way makes any difference, but the results were the same (I'm not actually certain its USB port can provide sufficient power mind you). The seller offered to send another one, but that replacement never arrived, so I dunno whether another unit would suffer these faults.

For the price and the convenience of using no separate power source, I'm happy with it even with this annoyance. But I won't be getting rid of my reliable VHD-1x2MN3D.

(I'd open it up to take photos of the chips, but there are no screws and I think I'd end up breaking plastic clips if I tried.)

23. Member
    Search PM
    When my card acts up, similiar to that, I reinstall the card...or maybe I misunderstand and you are not using a card???

24. Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    When I switch to the WD TV Live's YCbCr mode, I get this weird green-tinged output.
    Have you tried completely disconnecting all the HDMI cables to "reboot" the splitter?

drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    This is more of a side note, but I just had a problem that I'm guessing may be related to some recent firmware change by DirecTV. I often transfer recorded material from their receiver to a Pioneer DVDR. That's in SD of course, but it's a lot better than nothing, and generally good enough. Inputs to the Pioneer from the DirecTV receiver are S-Video. For some time, this had been triggering an annoying "Your Cables Are Not the Correct Type" screen, that goes away on its own after a minute or two. (Yeah DTV, I know exactly what the cabling is, and it's intentional.) But lately, they seem to have gone a step or two past annoying: in the course of doing the transfer recording, it has been locking up the DirecTV -- for the channel the receiver is tuned to, or any channel I switch to -- requiring reboots afterward to regain normal functioning. And when that happens, information ahead from the programming grid is lost, with it taking a day or so to repopulate. That did not happen before, and that is NOT O.K. !

So, I may be forced to make changes I did not want to make, full-time: leaving a View-HD splitter in the chain all the time, in tandem with a Leunking or whatever HDMI-to-S-Video box I have on hand, in order to feed the Pioneer DVDR. That chain's got to be more problematic than a straight in S-Video, but it should keep DirecTV from pissing in the punchbowl . . . . It clearly complicates the setup, though. I just hope it won't degrade regular pq to the tv.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.

26. Member
    Search PM
    I have DirecTv with a splitter in place full-time and I don't see any picture degradation. Of course, HDTV quality varies from channel to channel, at least at my place...

27. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    When I switch to the WD TV Live's YCbCr mode, I get this weird green-tinged output.
    Have you tried completely disconnecting all the HDMI cables to "reboot" the splitter?
    That wasn't specifically my intention, but yes I ended up doing that a couple times and there was no change in behavior. At one point the splitter was sitting disconnected on my table for months before I plugged it in and saw the same thing upon switching the WD TV Live to YCbCr.

Connecting the splitter to my battery-powered HDMI camcorder, I found that it failed to pass any signal above 480p until I also plugged in the splitter's USB power connection. Then 720p, 1080i, and 1080p all worked fine. (All in RGB; no option to force YCbCr.) I guess it makes sense that a battery-operated device would try to use the minimum power necessary for a regular HDMI connection.

28. Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    That wasn't specifically my intention, but yes I ended up doing that a couple times and there was no change in behavior. At one point the splitter was sitting disconnected on my table for months before I plugged it in and saw the same thing upon switching the WD TV Live to YCbCr.
    I work with a lot of low power microcontrollers and some can pull enough power from signal pins to run the part even without power applied to the power input. I was speculating that the MCU entered an unstable state and that disconnecting the HDMI cables would reboot the chip, getting it back to stability. Guess not.

29. Fan Boy of Quality !
    Search PM
    For hassle free experience, you can follow my advise to use a bit more expensive splitter but that won't fail for issues affecting the cheap splitter. However, it seems it's viewed as marketing or promotion to post something serious over here, looks like only cheap splitters are promoted, i'm more into quality stuff so ask me in PM if you want recommendation for something that will always work, no matter in which setup its installed !!